TDK Mediactive bought out

zorprimal

I'm surprised this hasn't been posted yet.

Anyway, here's it goes. This from Take2:

Acquisition of TDK Mediactive, Inc.

Take-Two is also announcing an agreement to purchase TDK Mediactive, Inc. (OTC BB: TDKM), a California based publisher of a rapidly expanding portfolio of video game franchises based on popular licensed properties, including Shrek, Pirates of the Caribbean, The Haunted Mansion, The Land Before Time, Robotech, The Muppets, Corvette and Masters of the Universe. For the fiscal year ended March 31, 2003, TDK reported revenue of $42.2 million, with a net loss of $8.3 million, or $0.36 per share.

Under the terms of the agreement, Take-Two will purchase TDK Mediactive for approximately $22.7 million, consisting of (1) $0.55 per share for each of the 23,005,885 shares outstanding (approximately $12.6 million); (2) purchase of debt of approximately $9.9 million ($1.9 million in cash and $8 million in restricted shares of common stock of Take-Two, or approximately 270,000 shares); and (3) approximately $0.2 million to retire outstanding stock options. Take-Two expects the acquisition of TDK Mediactive to close in the first week of November, with the closing subject to customary terms and conditions.

Take-Two and TDK Mediactive have also entered into a separate agreement providing Take-Two with the exclusive North American distribution rights for certain TDK titles on various platforms, including The Haunted Mansion, currently scheduled for launch in mid-October in anticipation of the Thanksgiving release of the Disney feature film. Among other products, the distribution agreement also includes Star Trek: Shattered Universe and Corvette, both scheduled for launch in late October.

Commenting on the acquisition, Jeff Lapin, Chief Executive Officer, said, “In a little over two years, TDK Mediactive has become a meaningful player in the interactive entertainment industry by identifying, securing and building strong video game franchises based on popular, well established licensed brands. The addition of TDK’s mass market and children’s licensed properties will complement our portfolio of proprietary brands, and will provide an excellent platform for Take-Two to further expand and diversify its product offerings. In addition, we believe our proven product development and marketing capabilities will enhance TDK’s product offerings and our distribution resources will offer additional outlets for TDK’s products.”

What's this mean? I can interpolate here. They now, I believe, posess the Robotech/Macross liscence. They also have the code to Crystal Dreams.

I wouldn't get hopes up, but do you suppose we will see more Macross games over here in the states? That last one, another thread, comes to mind.

From what I have seen of this company, they are fairly aggresive as far as titles are concerned

Thought I'd just add this. This might get moved to another forum though then again maybe not.

Company Background

Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc. is a leading worldwide publisher, developer and distributor of interactive entertainment software, hardware and accessories, a market that exceeded $10.3 billion in 2002 in the US alone.

Take-Two's product offerings include titles for the leading hardware platforms - the PlayStation®2 computer entertainment system, the Xbox™ video game system from Microsoft™, the PlayStation® game console, Nintendo GameCube™ and Nintendo Game Boy Advance, as well as for PCs. Games are published under the Rockstar Games, Gathering, Gotham Games, Joytech and Global Star labels.

The Company’s proprietary brand franchises include Grand Theft Auto, Max Payne, Midnight Club, Smuggler’s Run, Oni, Spec Ops, Railroad Tycoon and Tropico. Licensed brands include Mafia, Conflict: Desert Storm, Duke Nukem, State of Emergency, Stronghold and Hidden & Dangerous.

The Company is headquartered in New York City, with its international offices based in London. Sales and marketing offices are located in Cincinnati, Toronto, Paris, Munich, Vienna, Copenhagen, Milan, Sydney, Amsterdam and Auckland.

Edited by Effect

It's probably unlikely Take-Two will mess with TDK too much, they're not EA or anything. Hopefully this won't affect the release of the next Robotech game any.

Zorprimal, where'd you hear that TDK had the Crystal Dreams code?

http://users.rcn.com/opus.dnai/games/rcd/rcdFAQ.html

Take 2 bought Gametek out when Gametek folded.

Then they tried to release the game.

Their license had expired.

They didn't want to buy a new one.

There were rumors tha thtey got into a big war with Harmony Gold, but it's more likely they just shelved it.

It's probably unlikely Take-Two will mess with TDK too much, they're not EA or anything. Hopefully this won't affect the release of the next Robotech game any.

There were rumors tha thtey got into a big war with Harmony Gold, but it's more likely they just shelved it.

Thank you. I was racking my brains out trying to figure out where I heard that.

Looked like a good game though

Thank you. I was racking my brains out trying to figure out where I heard that.

Looked like a good game though

Yah.

Stupid Nintendo, changing the hardware at the last minute.

I'm surprised this hasn't been posted yet.

Anyway, here's it goes. This from Take2:

Acquisition of TDK Mediactive, Inc.

Take-Two is also announcing an agreement to purchase TDK Mediactive, Inc. (OTC BB: TDKM), a California based publisher of a rapidly expanding portfolio of video game franchises based on popular licensed properties, including Shrek, Pirates of the Caribbean, The Haunted Mansion, The Land Before Time, Robotech, The Muppets, Corvette and Masters of the Universe. For the fiscal year ended March 31, 2003, TDK reported revenue of $42.2 million, with a net loss of $8.3 million, or $0.36 per share.

Under the terms of the agreement, Take-Two will purchase TDK Mediactive for approximately $22.7 million, consisting of (1) $0.55 per share for each of the 23,005,885 shares outstanding (approximately $12.6 million); (2) purchase of debt of approximately $9.9 million ($1.9 million in cash and $8 million in restricted shares of common stock of Take-Two, or approximately 270,000 shares); and (3) approximately $0.2 million to retire outstanding stock options. Take-Two expects the acquisition of TDK Mediactive to close in the first week of November, with the closing subject to customary terms and conditions.

Take-Two and TDK Mediactive have also entered into a separate agreement providing Take-Two with the exclusive North American distribution rights for certain TDK titles on various platforms, including The Haunted Mansion, currently scheduled for launch in mid-October in anticipation of the Thanksgiving release of the Disney feature film. Among other products, the distribution agreement also includes Star Trek: Shattered Universe and Corvette, both scheduled for launch in late October.

Commenting on the acquisition, Jeff Lapin, Chief Executive Officer, said, “In a little over two years, TDK Mediactive has become a meaningful player in the interactive entertainment industry by identifying, securing and building strong video game franchises based on popular, well established licensed brands. The addition of TDK’s mass market and children’s licensed properties will complement our portfolio of proprietary brands, and will provide an excellent platform for Take-Two to further expand and diversify its product offerings. In addition, we believe our proven product development and marketing capabilities will enhance TDK’s product offerings and our distribution resources will offer additional outlets for TDK’s products.”

What's this mean? I can interpolate here. They now, I believe, posess the Robotech/Macross liscence. They also have the code to Crystal Dreams.

I wouldn't get hopes up, but do you suppose we will see more Macross games over here in the states? That last one, another thread, comes to mind.

From what I have seen of this company, they are fairly aggresive as far as titles are concerned

Well crystal dreams beta stinks. I've checked out a couple different versions and remember the video is on one of the robotech box sets. Their beta doesn't look so great either. But it's an N64 game so what do you expect. Robotech Battlecry is a much better game, although very flakey and having some bugs on PS2.

Hopefully all this means is POSSIBLY we won't be seeing another Macross VFX clone (Battlecry seemed like playing VFX even though you could actually MOVE AROUND god bandai sucks at making macross video games)

Actually, the rumors about the battle with HG are true. In fact, that's what lead to our current Macross licensing problems of today.

I hope this changes things, I really do.

Im my opinion, the deal between HG and TDK just seemed weird to me. What was up with releasing games, but no pc versions of it? Was it TDK's call or HGs or both. My 2 cents says HG manipulated the situation and TDK kowtowed. HG, once again, rules with an iron hand.

Rumour has it that that Take2 wanted the liscense to start with. And I also saw, over Take 2 is fairly aggresive when it comes to getting games released.