What happened to John Moscato's Legioss project?

nghia59

Hi everyone!

This is my first post after 4 years of lurking around the site. My friend Peter (also a long time lurker) noticed not too long ago that John Moscato's Legioss project was cancelled. I'm wondering if anyone can shed a little light on this subject. Sorry to all the MODs if this is a redundant post or if I'm in the wrong section.

:D

Hi everyone!

This is my first post after 4 years of lurking around the site. My friend Peter (also a long time lurker) noticed not too long ago that John Moscato's Legioss project was cancelled. I'm wondering if anyone can shed a little light on this subject. Sorry to all the MODs if this is a redundant post or if I'm in the wrong section.

:D

Cliffs notes version.

Canceled because of lack of dedicated interest in the buying public.

Somebody help me out here!

I believe it was mainly a money issue...he was working on a way to get an real license...and the expense of the kit combined resulted in a large number of required sales...(50 I believe) Anyways...when he didnt get 50 orders he talked to Toynami about selling them the design...they declined..and now it's not happening....sad...

The old HG story is a popular rumor, easily propogated since many of us here have no love for them. But the truth is, HG told Moscato that he wouldn't be allowed to sell them publically. That didn't matter since that was never really Moscato's intent, he was just taking personal orders over the Internet. The project was shelved because not enough fans were willing to invest in the kit. The price was about $500 per kit, if you're curious.

Here's the story I'd heard:

Originally, John was working on it as a small run GK. However, either he contacted Toynami, or Toynami contacted him, with the posibility of his design becoming the future MPC "Alpha". To gauge interest, he created a thread asking if people would buy it, were it produced. HG's legal department, somehow out of touch with Toynami department, saw the thread, and interpreted it as a thread actually selling the kit, and therefore, a copyright violation. In the resulting legal mess, the toynami crew decided not to go through the trouble, and instead opted for the version that will be released soon.

I believe it was mainly a money issue...he was working on a way to get an real license...and the expense of the kit combined resulted in a large number of required sales...(50 I believe) Anyways...when he didnt get 50 orders he talked to Toynami about selling them the design...they declined..and now it's not happening....sad...

That is the true story. John was investing a huge amount of money into the project and there was just not enough preorders to cover the costs. Thus, John decided to cut loses and move on. Toynami involvment is pretty much a moot point. Toynami did express some interest in the design but didn't want to pay John's asking price since they can just copy Imai's 1/48 model design for free.

Cap, you need to put up a FAQ somewhere. The Legioss project gets a lot of a attention on the front page, but no actual explanation of what happened. I know you don't owe it to anyone, but it's just to avoid the... um... frequent questioning... just a suggestion...

Hi Exo, nice to see a friendly face... Still trying to get used to the new forums here :blink:

Actually, I think Shawn or Graham could pin a topic on this subject if they felt it was necessary, but honestly, I don't think it's important enough. Even on my end, I pretty much no longer get any e-mails about the Legioss; it's old news.

I believe it was mainly a money issue...he was working on a way to get an real license...and the expense of the kit combined resulted in a large number of required sales...(50 I believe)  Anyways...when he didnt get 50 orders he talked to Toynami about selling them the design...they declined..and now it's not happening....sad...

That is the true story. John was investing a huge amount of money into the project and there was just not enough preorders to cover the costs. Thus, John decided to cut loses and move on. Toynami involvment is pretty much a moot point. Toynami did express some interest in the design but didn't want to pay John's asking price since they can just copy Imai's 1/48 model design for free.

Perhaps he didn't get enough orders because it wasn't readily apparent that he was going to sell them. The pictures of the thing on the main website didn't mention anything about it. I would have bought one, when you clicked to go over to his site it didn't mention anything about preorders either. I assumed it was just a scratchbuild project for himself.