Aircraft VS super thread!

I don't know a lot of them, but what the hell... I'll take a stab!

1. (in the background) an old Sea-Knight and an even older Sikorsky.. (foreground) I'm guessing part of a panther recce bird?

2. I'm guessing an engine from an SR-71?

3. Remenants of a B-1 Lancer

4. Looks like part of an E-3/135 variant of some sort fuselage from head on?

5. .... no idea. Guessing parts of a flying wing aircraft of some sort

6. ??

7. ??

8. Panther?

9. Looks like a Panther to me (again)

10. Hard to tell from this angle

11. Without a better sense of scale, it's difficult to tell, but I'm gonna guess CFTs for F-15s?

12. O NOES!!!1111 SI TEH MYSTERY MACHINE!!!111

13. Tail section from a Delta Dart?

14. F3D Skynight (I'm guessing a dash-2)

15. No idea

Blast, you beat me to it on the A-9 - I couldn't remember the serial number but I thought that it looked uncannily like a Frogfoot, and I remember reading somewhere that the Frogfoot bore a passing resemblence to the loser of the fly-off that was won by the A-10... :)

Isn't 14 a Buckeye, the ex-US Navy training aircraft?

No. 13 looks to be an SR-71 engine on the left, an Aerospike engine in the center, I'm not sure what's on the right X-33 wing component maybe? Actually what's been giving me the hardest time is the fuselage in the background, at first I thought it was a SUD Caravelle because of the windows (which would be kind of odd to see at edwards) but the tail is all wrong.

LOL... it was asking for it...

MiG: "Earth!!"

Sukhoi: "Wind!"

Ilyushin: "Fire!"

Yakolev: "Water!"

Tupolev: "Heart!"

New Jet: "With your powers combined... I am, THE PROLETARIAN!!"

Sweet footage of the MiG-29... Russia definately needs to find a way to invest in some of these. Someone I know from Russia was just telling me the other day that The "Russian Knights" (their flanker demo team, for those not in the know) are getting the last of the Su-35s in existence. The thrust-vectoring could make for some impressive team maneuvers (or at least some cool opposing solo stuff), but I doubt they'll use it much to their advantage.

368317[/snapback]

I've just snorted coffee out my nose! :lol: And remember... it must think in Russian!

Intersting, I haven't hread anything about this merger, will have to go through the stack of Av-Weeks here at the office and take a look. It would be interesting, but at the same time, not good IMHO. Sure they can share resources, but it will mean the death to competition inside the russian aviation companies, and I could envisage Sukhoi shutting down all MiG-29M production in favor of Super Flanker Variants. Plus there is the nightmare of what the new company name would be and how badly it would mess up NATO airplane codes.

Anyone know if there are any videos (internet or hardcopy) of the Schneider Trophy racers?

I imagine if anything exists it would be merely short clips, of the sort that would be used in newsreels and the like...but I'd love to see some of them in action.

Come to think of it, out of several books, I have only seen a dozen or so photos of them airborne at all.

Intersting, I haven't hread anything about this merger, will have to go through the stack of Av-Weeks here at the office and take a look.  It would be interesting, but at the same time, not good IMHO.  Sure they can share resources, but it will mean the death to competition inside the russian aviation companies, and I could envisage Sukhoi shutting down all MiG-29M production in favor of Super Flanker Variants.  Plus there is the nightmare of what the new company name would be and how badly it would mess up NATO airplane codes.

368426[/snapback]

I don't see how it would mess with the current codes.

The Nato designations would remain what they are for existing aircraft.

Like the BF-109 and BF-110 didn't have their designations changed after Messershmitt changed its name (contrary to popular opinion), and you still refer to pre-merger Douglas aircraft as Douglas.

A MiG-29UB will still be a Mig-29UB. A newly designed MiG might be the STIMY-29SX...but that should be too confusing.

Reports on the merger are few and far between, try google news. It's why I phrased it as "there's been news". Above a rumor, but not much, seeing as how it's not widely reported in aviation news.

PS---Boeing is king of renaming. Boeing DC-3, Boeing P-51, Boeing F-4, Boeing B-1B, Boeing Space Shuttle, Boeing XB-70 Valkyrie, Boeing MD-11, and worst of all, the Boeing 717.

Edited by David Hingtgen

Reports on the merger are few and far between, try google news.  It's why I phrased it as "there's been news".  Above a rumor, but not much, seeing as how it's not widely reported in aviation news.

PS---Boeing is king of renaming.  Boeing DC-3, Boeing P-51, Boeing F-4, Boeing B-1B, Boeing Space Shuttle, Boeing XB-70 Valkyrie, Boeing MD-11, and worst of all, the Boeing 717.

368626[/snapback]

You forgot Boeing F-15. ;) That's the first time I've heard of Boeing reaching that far back in either McDonnell Douglas', Rockwell International/North American, et al's past and claiming those as their products. In the case of the F-15, that is plausible for them to claim since the Eagle has been manufactured well after the merger took place. The F-4, the Space Shuttle, DC-3, P-51, etc. that is just plain ridiculous.

But Lockheed Martin is guilty of this, too. While the F-16 continue to be manufactured by them, they have the rights of saying that is their product and design, but I have seen advertisements by Lockheed where they refere to the F-111 and even the F-106 and F-102 as "their's"!!! :o I believe in newer toys and models of these older General Dynamics aircraft along with video games (like Konami's recent Delta Strike game for the PS2), these older GD aircraft have Lockheed's trademark!

In Jay Miller's new Aerofax book on the F-22 (F/A-22), there's quite a few pictures of GD's ATF wind test models. With the exception of a few pictures, Jay identifies many of them as being "Lockheed's" wind test models! :blink: Whether this was a slip up by Jay Miller or if Lockheed forced Jay Miller to do this (though in some shots he'll identify the wind tunnel or display models as being GD's designs) is not known.

Boeing claims (and flat out phrases as such on their website--they talk about how the BOEING DC-3 was so important and the legendary BOEING F-4 Phantom) any and all aircraft from all manufacturers they acquired. The Wright Flyer is about the only thing they can't claim nowadays.

At least Airbus doesn't claim the Concorde nor Bf109, even though they "own" the designs just as much as Boeing owns the F-15, etc.

Looked it up on Goggle News, seems like they are trying it again. They tried it once with Sukhoi and MiG back in 99, not sure what happened to make it fall through. They are going for a untied aricraft-building company (OAK). If it works its going to take about a year to get everything straight and worked out, by that time they will also have the boss of this figured out.

I only wonder how this is going to work. Most of these companies have been against each other for the entire cold war and even after, its going to be hell for the first couple years as they try to come together and play nice, espically whats left of MiG (since they merged with MAPO) and Sukhoi. They were at each others throats for contracts during the Cold War.

On just a side note, MiG is no more and has been for a while, Mig merged with MAPO a long while back, its know as MAPO-MiG (actually listed as MIG-MAPO, with MIG standing for Military Industrial Group, but known as MAPO-MiG for tradition).

Heres the link for the news report

http://www.rbcnews.com/free/20060206152635.shtml

Be inerested to see what happens if this is approved.

Cruel Angel's Thesis

Edited by Cruel Angel's Thesis

368317[/snapback]

I've just snorted coffee out my nose! :lol: And remember... it must think in Russian!

368372[/snapback]

My bad, let's try again!

MiG: "землÑ!!"

Sukhoi: "ветер!!"

Ilyushin: "пожар!!"

Yakolev: "вода!!"

Tupolev: "Ñердце!!"

New Jet: "При ваши Ñовмещенные Ñилы, Я буду ПРОЛЕТÐРИЕМ!!"

Guest Bromgrev
Yup yup. Started with the McDonnellDouglas airliners, but they soon realized--"hey, we can rename ALL the planes whose manufacturers we bought out".

369218[/snapback]

Man ... I hope I don't see the day when the Bf109 becomes the MBB109. Bad enough when they dropped the "Bayrische Flugzeugwerke" and started calling them ME. <_<

368317[/snapback]

368372[/snapback]

My bad, let's try again!

MiG: "землÑ!!"

Sukhoi: "ветер!!"

Ilyushin: "пожар!!"

Yakolev: "вода!!"

Tupolev: "Ñердце!!"

New Jet: "При ваши Ñовмещенные Ñилы, Я буду ПРОЛЕТÐРИЕМ!!"

369234[/snapback]

Thats two new monitors you owe me now... :lol:

This is possibly not only the coolest Shornet "vapor" shot ever, it's the best shot so far of the new-style Shornet ECS outlets:

http://www.alert5.com/gallery/Pensacola-2/gmc0244 (even bigger version if you click on it)

Plenty of shots for wallpaper: http://www.alert5.com/gallery/Pensacola-2

any one think the government will demil a few tomcats to sell to civilians for airshows? and how long before last tomcat is retired?  no naval reserve?

369816[/snapback]

i hope they let civilians buy these (disarmed of course) if they can afford them. the thought of all these amazing planes rotting in an aviation junkyard someplace makes me want to hurt kittens.

if they could set a second set of controls in the rear seat, maybe we'll see something like that dogfighting place, but with f14s in the future :-)

probably not but i can dream.

No F-14s in reserves, the reserve F-14 squadrons got decommissioned in the mid 90s.

369831[/snapback]

a little wierd that they didnt hold on a few for reserves. when the governmentr stripped the F-4 off of the carriers. the navy and the Marines still had reserves of them into the early 90s

Refer back a few pages in this thread for info about Dale Snodgrass possibly picking up some tomcats. Beyond that, the government has no plans to sell Tomcats to anyone (AMARC, as of January 1, upgraded the Tomcat's status to D, which means they have been taken off the 72-hour turnaround reserve and will commence destruction immediately. I'm sure it will take some time, but because of this, it's making it difficult for those of us who take care of Tomcats in museums to get the parts we want/need.

Supposedly this is being done to reduce the risk of spare parts winding up on ebay and potentially in the hands of the Iranians (which still have 20 or so Tomcats flying)