Aircraft VS super thread!

Good grief, just what do you have to do to stop Chuck Yeager getting in an aeroplane?! The Germans couldn't stop him, the Air Force couldn't stop him, and neither can age! :lol:

First time I've seen an image which really shows just how big the B-2 really is - I'd read that its odd shape makes it look smaller than it really is, but thats the first time I've seen it. As for that F-117 scheme - is that to give the bad guys a chance of actually spotting one for once...? :p

Dumb question, where is the rest of his cockpit?

Never mind, I understand, he punched out his RIO....

382620[/snapback]

Sort of, apparently they were taking some sailor up on an incentive ride, and during some negative G he thought he should hold on to something. Unfortunetly the handle he held on to was yellow with black stripes.

382629[/snapback]

That story seems pretty implausible...

Dumb question, where is the rest of his cockpit?

Never mind, I understand, he punched out his RIO....

382620[/snapback]

Sort of, apparently they were taking some sailor up on an incentive ride, and during some negative G he thought he should hold on to something. Unfortunetly the handle he held on to was yellow with black stripes.

382629[/snapback]

That story seems pretty implausible...

382695[/snapback]

Hey, don't ask me I got it from MATS. It makes sense though, the guy wasn't properly briefed, got up in the air, and grabbed the nearest hand hold (that's an F-14D so the ejection loop is right between your legs).

The story is pretty widely accepted as true, a big reason being that there's a photo of the incident. How often would a RIO eject but not the pilot, and in a non-combat situation so there could be a nice photo shoot of the incident after it happened?

Hey guys, I was wondering this good quick question about the F-14 Tomcat. I don't know if somebody discussed this earlier but I wanted to know is possible for one perosn to fly the F-14 by himself? Can somebody please fill me in on this?

382581[/snapback]

The RIO has nothing to do with the flight capabilities of the tomcat, so sure he could. The only thing the RIO works with are the weapons systems and radar.

As for the Nighthawk paint scheme, that plan was painted like that back in November of '83. There was change of command for the the Senior Trend combined test force and someone had the idea for it. Now with the same plane that orginally flew with the paint scheme was beign retired they decided to why not members of the squad donated time and materials to get her painted. Dreamland Resort has a picture from '83 when she first flew with the paint scheme.

Cruel Angel's Thesis

I understand that the F-15E has a throttle and stick setup for the back-seat? Is it the only non-trainer 2 seat fighter with that setup?

Early Navy Phantoms were flyable from the back seat, though the air force, and I think later navy, planes eliminated the faeture on thr grounds that having 2 pilots in the same plane sometimes leads to problems.

I would imagine that the F-15E WSOs are probaly given enough training to navigate and land the plane if need be, but training them for combat would probaly be a waste of resources and lead to the same sort of crew friction that arose with the phantoms.

There are Tornadoes with full control from the backseat, and they aren't a seperate "trainer" type, but fully combat capable, but it's only a few aircraft used for training. it's not the way the aircraft was designed in the way the F-15E was.

Actual service airframes of the navy did not have a stick in the backseat. Airforce aircraft (so far as I know) had controls in the back seat through most variants.

I know some F/A-18D Hornets have sticks in the backseat, but I don't know if the Marines use these in a combat role or if they're for training only (Super Hornets *can* be configured with a stick in the back, but it's only done for training)

Vietnam-era F-4s had controls in the back and were flown with two pilots, eventually deciding a WSO was more useful than a second pilot. The Navy always used a RIO, not a second pilot.

F-15Es have a second set of controls in the rear, the WSO isn't really given any formal flight training, but I'll bet most can fly the plane. The Navy gives their Tacair NFOs some basic flight trianing, but they never solo.

The Marines use the F/A-18D for all weather strike, their F/A-18Ds do not have a second set of controls. Aircraft assigned to training squadrons for the Navy or Marine Corps do have controls in the back.

Hey strange request, does anyone know where I can find a C-17 Globemaster III toy, model, etc... We have a guy here going away and he loves the little diecast planes but has never been able to find anything for the C-17 that wasn't an expensive wooden model.

Gemini makes several different squadrons in 1:400. Just search for "Gemini C-17" and you should find many stores. Note: the nose is blunt, us nitpicky types complain about it.

Here's the list, clicking on the item number brings up a picture.

http://www.geminijets.com/database/index.php?r_product=2

A small pin did lots of harm

HAMPTON -- A metal pin about 6 inches long and an inch thick was sucked into the engine of an F-22A Raptor, causing $6,754,275.36 in damage, an Air Force report said.

The incident - called "foreign-object damage" - occurred on Oct. 20, 2005, when the Raptors of the 27th Fighter Squadron were preparing for night operations while deployed at Hill Air Force Base in Utah.

Many of the pilots were dropping bombs for the first time in any of the airplanes.

The Raptors were immediately grounded and an investigation was ordered. The planes remained on the ground the next day while remedial action was taken.

"This incident happened during a training mission and our main concern was that no one was injured," said Lt. Dan Goldberg, a spokesman for Air Combat Command, which conducted the investigation.

The ACC report, issued Wednesday, said the plane's pilot had started the engines, but the crew chief noticed that the pin was still inserted in the landing gear, locking it into place.

The chief instructed the pilot to shut down the Raptor's left engine, then scurried under the plane to remove the pin, from which a streamer hangs to make it more accessible.

During the removal, the streamer and pin were sucked into the right engine, destroying it.

The incident was called a "Class A mishap," because damages were more than $1 million," Goldberg said.

The affected Raptor was kept out of training the next week, and it remained at Hill Air Force Base for several more days for repairs while the rest of the 27th Fighter Squadron returned.

Squadron members attributed the incident to the newness of the Raptor and its maintenance techniques.

The Hill deployment was the first for the airplane and its maintenance group, and much of the time in Utah was spent on lessons learned.

"When accidents like this happen, we conduct an Accident Investigation Board (AIB) to find out exactly what occurred, and we take the necessary steps to make sure the same accident doesn't occur again," Goldberg said.

Friend sent me these from his trip aboard the Ike last Novemeber:

I remember someone saying that they wanted some good pics the Red Ripper CAG bird, hope you like these. I have them in larger res if anyone wants them.

post-341-1143347927_thumb.jpg

post-341-1143347976_thumb.jpg

post-341-1143348060_thumb.jpg

post-341-1143348103_thumb.jpg

post-341-1143348154_thumb.jpg

Quick comment--the left-most pic of Knight26's pic is notable for:

A. Showing a Hornet with the speed brake up. (It's hard to find pics of them using the airbrake---such a draggy plane doesn't need it much)

B. That pic is the final VFA-105 CAG scheme. They have already switched to Super Hornets. (They are one of the few Legacy-to-Super squadrons)