Question about new live action EVA

JKeats

Sorry that I don't have a link to the information, but my friend recently told me that he saw on IGN.com that Daniel Radcliffe (sp?) will be casted as Ikari Shinji! My friend isn't the most reliable source for info about EVA (he's one of those who believes that Misato shot you know who <_< ) but he said he read it on IGN.com, which I can't confirm because I'm not a registered member there and I don't want to be. Can anyone confirm this?

He sure as hell doesn't look Japanese to me...

But they can do amazing stuff with makeup/prosthetics, or maybe they are gonna change the setting to Europe? Unlike most of the fans, I don't care too much if they change the setting. The real heart and soul of Evangelion are the characters, story and convoluted storyline, not the particular setting. If placing the events in Europe/America will bring more people into the theaters (both spreading appreciation for NGE, and allowing for a more liberal budget) than so be it.

but that's just me.

After seeing "Whale Rider" I have new found hope for young actors. If they can get a young cast with 1/2 the chops of the girl in that movie there will be little to worry about.

I dunno... can't imagine Harry Potter going psycho and clutching his head....

I wonder what the stateside reaction will be to such a movie... either have to censor the heck out of it, or REALLY tone it down, so much so that a lot of what Eva was really about would probably be lost.

I just hope they're not doing a sequel... the entire plotline is over and done with already, even with at least three different retellings of the last two episodes...

Sorry that I don't have a link to the information, but my friend recently told me that he saw on IGN.com that Daniel Radcliffe (sp?) will be casted as Ikari Shinji!  My friend isn't the most reliable source for info about EVA (he's one of those who believes that Misato shot you know who  <_< ) but he said he read it on IGN.com, which I can't confirm because I'm not a registered member there and I don't want to be.  Can anyone confirm this?

The latest reliable news about the project can be found here: Otakon 2003 Con Report: ADV Films Panel

The Daniel Radcliffe rumor has been circulating since ADV announced the project (IIRC it began on Ain't It Cool News). It's unlikely that they would begin casting if they haven't even found a director yet.

Hahahahaha. What about Asuka? Akira Fubuki?

Yeah, good idea. Then we should have Jun Kusanagi as Misato, Sally Yoshino as Ritsuko, Minori Aoi as Hikari, and Chiasa Aonuma as Maya. :lol::D:lol:

I see that ppl wanna have a AV star EVA eh? :lol::D:lol::D

It's unlikely that they would begin casting if they haven't even found a director yet.

It's even more unlikely that this project is destined to turn out as anything other than a smelly fly-infested heap of poo by the time they're done with it. This is a sacrelige and should have been stomped dead in it's tracks - I don't care who they get to make it.

This entire thing stinks of Waterworld and Super Mario Brothers to me, and I hope they finally learn their lesson when this fails miserably. Some things just don't need the live action treatment, and this is one series that certainly won't lend itself to the medium. If and ONLY if they treat this with the reverence and respect it deserves AND make it 4+ hours long - which they obviously won't - will they keep from alienating the fans of this series who will be the only ones who would go to see this, anyway.

So help me - if they get a bunch of caucasian kids to play Shinji, Rei and the others, I'm marching down there to crack some skulls. A live-action Akira, and now this??? It's this sort of Hollywood nonsense that made me start watching Anime in the first place ...

The movie has potential. If they do it right. It's still way too down the line to say anything for sure. Anything for a long time to come will be nothing but conjecture. It has potential to be quite good, and as large a franachise as Eva is it would be crazy for them to really screw it up. It could go either way, but I will reserve all judgment until I see something concrete from the production team. Or see the movie itself. It is still in pre-production, so it is a ways off still.

i dont think ADV has a budget big enough to properly support a film like this. the last thing i want tos ee is second rate CGI, poor casting, and a butchering of the plot.

if its going to succeed they need a cast that can properly play the neurotic (and lets face it all the principal characters in EVA are seriously messed up in the head).

Maybe I missed something, but when did this go from a Japanese produced movie to a Hollywood flick?

It's a joint Japanese and Hollywood (really New Zealand) effort:

Link.

Supposedly, Weta is doing the SFX, and ADV and Gainax will produce it. I don't believe Hideaki Anno is involved with this, however, but I'm not sure. Anyway, Gainax and Weta joining up sounds tempting, but I don't think fancy special effects are going to be enough to save this one.

I think Haley Joe Smith would have a much better chance of getting the part of Ikari Shinji than Daniel Radcliffe. If it's done right with the right cast, then people will watch it.

Wizard recently did a special edition of "Catsing Call" for the N.G. EVA film for their sister publication (Anime Insider) and had him down on their wishlist for actor they would like to see play Shinji. Have you seen Haley Joel Osment lately? I wish I had a recent image of him. If they're still showing it, check out the rebroadcasts of the GLOW Awards on G4TV and watch the live via satellite snippet of him after Kingdom Hearts won the award for Best Screenplay. Puberty has not been kind to Little Lord Osment.

As far as the filming locations for the film, it has already been stated that the film wil be partially shot in New Zealand, as that is where Weta is based. The cast will also be a melting pot of actors and extras from many ethnic backgrounds. Let's hope Chris Tucker doesn't catch wind of this, as the last thing we need is a NERV officer screaming "DAMN, SHINJI! I TOLD YOU NOT TO LET EVA UNIT 01 EAT THAT S^2 ENGINE! WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU!"

Seriously though, with the film's budget reportedly hitting on or near the $100 million mark, this live action retelling of the entire story had better not be disappointing. As far as length, four hours may seem like a long time for a movie, but the Director's Cuts of "The Fellowship of the Ring" and "The Two Towers" are 10-20 minutes shy of this mark each AND they will be shown back-to-back along with "The Return of the King" on its opening day in select cities. Twelve hours of Middle Earth. I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

If they get an english cast they'll just go and mangle the pronounciation of the names. <_< That or change all the names to easy english ones.

... or worse yet, they will change the names to english names.

The thing is.... to make a good NG Eva movie... you would either have to cast an all asian cast, or completly change the characters in the story. Seriously.... are they going to call an english or whatever actor "Gendou Ikari"?  Isn't that a tad weird?

Now i could care less about this movie but wasn't asuka german? So Shouldn't her acter be german.

The thing is.... to make a good NG Eva movie... you would either have to cast an all asian cast, or completly change the characters in the story. Seriously.... are they going to call an english or whatever actor "Gendou Ikari"?  Isn't that a tad weird?

Now i could care less about this movie but wasn't asuka german? So Shouldn't her acter be german.

She was a half breed if I remember correctly. :)