1/60 Gbp

1 VF-1 2NV

Thanks guys. I'll be sure to post pics.

BTW, has anybody tried to see if the big fists that come with the GBP will fit on the 1/48 as they look about the right size.

Graham

the big fists can't fit on the 1/48..

the joint rod too thick.

and have a little problem about the hip joint,

the leg too easy to get off after put on the armor,

because the thick armor steal much space of the hip joint

Edited by 柿崎速雄

Hmm....in that case, I might try to glue the hips permanently in battroid mode on one of my 1/60 VF-1J, to make it a dedicated Armored Battroid.

I really hope that Yamato has a 1/48 version in the works.

Graham

As soon as you know, we must know too! :) slobber.

And good luck, Big Daddy!

Just got my GBP armor set and GBP with Valk at lunch (thanks Neova). No time to play with them yet as I'm still at work, but I did take the armor set out of the box to have a quick look and it's pretty nice.

I'll try and do a review, but no promises, as my son is due to be born in the next 5 days, so as you can imagine I have other things on my mind rather than toy reviews.

Graham

Congrats Graham! Little Roys is coming. Wheee!!

We expect pics and a full review of your new arrival when he gets here! :) Seriously, congrats Graham. I'd suggest lots of caffeine the next few days and if you don't smoke you might want to think about starting...at least until the first month is over. :ph34r:

He He! My little guy is gonna be 1 year this thursday June 3rd, time sure does fly!! Just think of the first 3 1/2 to 4 months like a boot-camp! Very little sleep and LOTS of adjustment and stress!! ;) But when it's done and they smile and laugh for the first time....it is SO worth it!! and the time really does go pretty quick!

Chris

Oh yeah...$im@n can you put the armor on one of your other valks to see if it's true about the armor? I wanna see how the VF-1S looks like with it on :D

ok, i will try it on later and post pics... :)

i tried it on vf-1s, it fits perfectly...well, except that the leg join became quite loose because of the heavy armor...anyway, overall it's a great toy...:)

post-4-1086020772_thumb.jpg

I'll try and do a review, but no promises, as my son is due to be born in the next 5 days, so as you can imagine I have other things on my mind rather than toy reviews.

Graham

Congrats Graham. Year of the Monkey(chinese horoscope sign) is a good year for a boy! Will bring you lots of prosperity and happiness...mine is due in December :)

Yesterday I bought one piece each of both the VF-1J with GBP and the separate GPB armor set. As I had a lot of baby stuff to carry home yesterday, I was only able to carry the armor set home last night and I left the GBP with VF-1J at the office.

Anyway, last night I fitted the armor set to my Hikaru VF-1J Super and here's a very quick review (and a short rant) about the 1/60 GBP armor set, without pictures.

The armor set (without valk) comes packed in a nice green box. The style sort of reminds me of the old Takatoku GBP box, although of course the Yamato box isn't made of the nice textured card of the old Takatoku boxes. At least the Yamato box is nice and compact, which should save on shipping costs for those of you ordering the toy from overseas. Hopefully Yamato have learnt their lesson after all the complaints about the unnecessarily large (supersize :lol: ) VT-1 and VE-1 boxes.

On first impressions, the GBP gives one the feeling of being a quality product. IMO it looks nicely sculpted, the plastic quality is qood and it has a nice paint finish. Also, the armor attaches easily to the Valk and stays on well, with one noteable exception (see point # 2 of my rant below).

The GPB features opening missile hatches on the chest, shoulders and sides and rear of the lower leg armor. None of the missiles are removeable. The toy comes with a small sticker sheet, including stickers to mark your armor as either number '1, 2, 3 or 4'. An instruction manual containing black and white photos and a set of the ultra-large TV type fists are also included.

Now for the rant. I have three main complaints about this toy: -

1) As somebody else already mentioned, when the hip and groin armor is attached, the Valk hip pegs are not really long enough to engage fully into the valks nosecone holes and the legs have an annoying tendency to fall out of the nosecone holes every time the toy is picked up or moved. On my VF-1J, the legs fall off so frequently, that I am seriously consdering gluing the hip pegs into the nosecone (thus rendering the toy non-transformable). This problem really kills any playability and effectively leaves the toy as a fixed pose statue as it cannot be moved without a leg falling off :angry:

2) As I mentioned above, the armor attaches firmly and will not fall off, except for one piece, which is the front groin armor. The groin armor consists of two pieces, a front and rear, which covers the Valks nosecone. The front groin armor connects to the rear groin armor via 4 small pins which plug into holes in the rear groin armor. Unfortunately, these pins are both too short and too narrow to have much purchase and as a result, the front groin armor pops off with alarming regularity, i.e. just about every time the toy is picked up or moved. Grrrrrrrr! :angry: Again, I am seriously considering gluing the two halves of the groin armor together, which would mean I end up with a permanently armored non-transforming Valk <_<

3) The TV type fists are way too big. I mean we are talking 1/48 size. Obviously, Yamato was trying to capture the look of the old Takani box art from the Imai and Arii model kits, but they have definitely over-compensated for something :lol:. IMO, it would have been much better if Yamato had sized the TV fists about a third to half smalller than the current size. Also, with the large clown fists, the Valk cannot hold a gunpod. I tried the large fists, but IMO they are just too large and look too ridiculous, so I am using the original 1/60 Valk hands instead, so that my armored VF-1J can hold his gunpod.

So overall, I'd have to say that the product is flawed. It makes a great-looking display peice, but the problems with the legs and groin armor take away any playability and greatly reduce the fun-factor. I'd give this a 6.5 out of 10.

Graham

I only have one 1/60....the Roy VF-1S STrike valkyrie....and if i get the armor set only....I feel like customing it to the kick ass GBP custom on model japan or whatever mag it was.

Thank you for the great review; especially during the time you are busy with your family and with a soon to be a family member.

As always, your review is detail and informative, without any bias.

Although, Yammi’s QC has been declining with newer releases (My own opinion), I will still get several for my 1/60s (Yammi is the only game in town). I was hoping that Yammi put great deal of effort into their projects this time around and not just rushing products out the doors with obvious flaws.

Disappointed about the flaws of this particular GBP version, but as for me I'm gonna take the big kahuna's advice and just make a good display piece out of it!

I'm keeping my fingers crossed though, for that 1/48 version! ;):D

Oh, and GRAHAM, thanks for the review and congrats in advance for that little baby boy of yours! :)

Yesterday I bought one piece each of both the VF-1J with GBP and the separate GPB armor set. As I had a lot of baby stuff to carry home yesterday, I was only able to carry the armor set home last night and I left the GBP with VF-1J at the office.

Anyway, last night I fitted the armor set to my Hikaru VF-1J Super and here's a very quick review (and a short rant) about the 1/60 GBP armor set, without pictures.

The armor set (without valk) comes packed in a nice green box. The style sort of reminds me of the old Takatoku GBP box, although of course the Yamato box isn't made of the nice textured card of the old Takatoku boxes. At least the Yamato box is nice and compact, which should save on shipping costs for those of you ordering the toy from overseas. Hopefully Yamato have learnt their lesson after all the complaints about the unnecessarily large (supersize :lol: ) VT-1 and VE-1 boxes.

On first impressions, the GBP gives one the feeling of being a quality product. IMO it looks nicely sculpted, the plastic quality is qood and it has a nice paint finish. Also, the armor attaches easily to the Valk and stays on well, with one noteable exception (see point # 2 of my rant below).

The GPB features opening missile hatches on the chest, shoulders and sides and rear of the lower leg armor. None of the missiles are removeable. The toy comes with a small sticker sheet, including stickers to mark your armor as either number '1, 2, 3 or 4'. An instruction manual containing black and white photos and a set of the ultra-large TV type fists are also included.

Now for the rant. I have three main complaints about this toy: -

1) As somebody else already mentioned, when the hip and groin armor is attached, the Valk hip pegs are not really long enough to engage fully into the valks nosecone holes and the legs have an annoying tendency to fall out of the nosecone holes every time the toy is picked up or moved. On my VF-1J, the legs fall off so frequently, that I am seriously consdering gluing the hip pegs into the nosecone (thus rendering the toy non-transformable). This problem really kills any playability and effectively leaves the toy as a fixed pose statue as it cannot be moved without a leg falling off :angry:

2) As I mentioned above, the armor attaches firmly and will not fall off, except for one piece, which is the front groin armor. The groin armor consists of two pieces, a front and rear, which covers the Valks nosecone. The front groin armor connects to the rear groin armor via 4 small pins which plug into holes in the rear groin armor. Unfortunately, these pins are both too short and too narrow to have much purchase and as a result, the front groin armor pops off with alarming regularity, i.e. just about every time the toy is picked up or moved. Grrrrrrrr! :angry: Again, I am seriously considering gluing the two halves of the groin armor together, which would mean I end up with a permanently armored non-transforming Valk <_<

3) The TV type fists are way too big. I mean we are talking 1/48 size. Obviously, Yamato was trying to capture the look of the old Takani box art from the Imai and Arii model kits, but they have definitely over-compensated for something :lol:. IMO, it would have been much better if Yamato had sized the TV fists about a third to half smalller than the current size. Also, with the large clown fists, the Valk cannot hold a gunpod. I tried the large fists, but IMO they are just too large and look too ridiculous, so I am using the original 1/60 Valk hands instead, so that my armored VF-1J can hold his gunpod.

So overall, I'd have to say that the product is flawed. It makes a great-looking display peice, but the problems with the legs and groin armor take away any playability and greatly reduce the fun-factor. I'd give this a 6.5 out of 10.

Graham

Thanks for the review, I think I`ll skip this item.

Graham,

Can you confirm that this will fit the Max Jenius VF-1A, 1/60, DYRL (that dosent have the holes or the notches?) So far from what I have seen, that looks correct, but Id like confirmation from someone who has one in the hand before I order.

Secondly, anyone know what the best place in the US is to order these things?

Of the problems that exist, only two cause me greif. The "flasher" syndrome (keeps showing his nosecone to the ladies), and the leg pins. Im pretty sure I can fix the nosecone item with some gentle modeling goodness. Ill have to figure out what to do with the leg pins, and if they are replaceable with something longer.

Thanks,

irishman

Graham

Congrats Graham. Year of the Monkey(chinese horoscope sign) is a good year for a boy! Will bring you lots of prosperity and happiness...mine is due in December :)

To177,

So thats why you got the GBP Kit. Make sure you put the diaper on first, then the groin pieces. I hear it stays on better :p

CONGRATS MAN! :D

/Back to your regular topic...

Edited by Neova

1) As somebody else already mentioned, when the hip and groin armor is attached, the Valk hip pegs are not really long enough to engage fully into the valks nosecone holes and the legs have an annoying tendency to fall out of the nosecone holes every time the toy is picked up or moved. On my VF-1J, the legs fall off so frequently, that I am seriously consdering gluing the hip pegs into the nosecone (thus rendering the toy non-transformable). This problem really kills any playability and effectively leaves the toy as a fixed pose statue as it cannot be moved without a leg falling off  :angry:

thanks for the review and congrat graham... :D

i am quite new here and i think you guys must have a better approach then i did... :unsure:

but i am going to say it anyway... :p

when i feel my 1/60 leg join came loose, i have 3 simple steps to fix the problem..

- prepare a color paint (or your wife's nail paint) and a small brush (or a tooth pick)

- apply the paint to the leg joins

- leave it dry

see here...

this small tip has help me a lot with my toys, also help me to resist the 1/48... :rolleyes:

just my 2 cents... :)

$im@n

post-4-1086104584.jpg

YIKES!!!

Disconnect the computer for a few days to move and **BANG** look at all of this news!!! w00t.gif

1) 1/60 GBP Armor OUT --- Yippee!! :D

2) Congrats to Graham on the review ................ and the kid!! :p

(Got one of those 3D ultrasounds for my son coming up in 2 weeks....maybe I'll post pics!! :) )

The 1/60 line rules!!!
3) WHAT HE SAID!! B))

4) Thanks for the pics and info $im@n!! BTW, your hand in that pic is almost as big as the Valk's !!! :p

Edited by GRAND CANNON

Can't tell from the pics in the box, but the combo of the armor and VF does come with the gunpod?

$im@n posted in his pics one of an open box:

(I hope You don't mind me posting this picture, $im@n.)

post-4-1086123523.jpg

The set looks really nice. But I don't collect 1/60th. If Yamato ever produces the GBP in 1/48th I'll be there. The problems mentioned are too great for me to start buying 1/60ths.

It seems that Yamato has corrected the one thing that bothered me with the 1/60th line. That the VF-1J now comes with a TV Hikaru instead of the Movie. This mistake from the original Super VF-1J Hikaru is what prevented me from buying that figure, and most likely ever starting my 1/60th collection. By the time Max and Millia 1/60ths came out I was too busy buying Bandai versions and waiting for the 1/48th figs. I'm glad I waited.

Thanks for the pics and reviews guys.

Randy