SEGA Dreamcast Macross M3,

Valk009

I just got a secondhand SEGA Dreamcast from one of my workmate for free but without any games. While game hunting, I came across a Dreamcast Macross M3. It is a original version but the details on the back of the game suggest it is a action/shooters game.

Anybody heard of this game and if so how is it? As the shop is asking something like US$22.00 for it,I really want to get some opinion first before parting with my hard earned cash :lol:

Macross M3 is awful. Poor control, unrealistic physics (even for a game), and boring missions make this one a lame duck. The only good thing about the game is the sweet intro, but you can download that one. I'd recommend you pass on this one. If you want a good mech game for the DC, get Virtual On.

M3 has an excellent opening movie and intro song and that's the best thing I have to say about it.

This game was highly anticipated when it came out back in 2001, as early screenshots in the Japanese gaming magazines looked very promising.

However, the actual game quickly proved to be disappointing due to weak gameplay and slugishly turning battroid and gerwak modes.

I have a review of the game here. However, I'm no longer as positive about the game as I was when I wrote that review.

Graham

M3 does have tons of valks for you to choose from like the VF-5000 and the variable glaug. But the game is pretty boring stndard fare. Lame ending.

The game is fairly tough, I can only imagine that the problem would be compounded for people playing it on an emulator, because it requires some serious coordination skills at your controller, it wasn't just move and shoot. Oftentimes you have to make unpredictable movements, kicking in the boosters at the right time to avoid incoming fire, all the while firing at your enemies. With remapped keys on a PC I think it's impossible to survive for more than a few minutes on most missions.

Other than the extreme slowdown when there are too many missiles in the zone, I had no problems with it, and actually finished the whole game (more than I can say about Digital Mission VF-X and VF-X2). The huge selection of VFs and slots for customization gives it good replay value too. $22 is not a bad deal.

Actually Macross M3 was not too bad as far as story or graphics, but the gameplay, at least to me was sloppy and hard to control. Granted I am more of a 2D/3D top down or side scroller person myself, I must say between all the Macross games I have this was the worst one I have played.

M3 was horrid. Except for the intro and artwork/story, the actual game was so bad, the programmers shoulda be caned. Did I buy it? Yep. Just for the collector's sake, but that's it. Got the Milia card too. :)

M3 has an excellent opening movie and intro song and that's the best thing I have to say about it.

This game was highly anticipated when it came out back in 2001, as early screenshots in the Japanese gaming magazines looked very promising.

However, the actual game quickly proved to be disappointing due to weak gameplay and slugishly turning battroid and gerwak modes.

I have a review of the game here. However, I'm no longer as positive about the game as I was when I wrote that review.

Graham

Really? That honky tonk song was good? Anyway the only thing I liked about it was you could log on the internet directly with the dreamcast and download the complete game save so you could watch all the movies & not have to actually play the game. Thats how sheety it is.

I go the Max card.  Wanna trade?   :lol:

No ways. :D

I thought Max has lots of fans. :p

He sure does. Milia has more though. :p

True that, although I prefer Misa over Millia. :)

I hear 'ya. ;)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Khyron_Prime

Twenty-two dollars?--I'd say pick that one up and keep it in the closet, at least, 'cause everywhere I've ever been charges upwards of fifty for this game--a tough sell, especially if you've heard how bad the actual game is, not to mention that its for Dreamcast. Most Dreamcast games are like, what? $10-$20? I got Jet Grind Radio for $8, but I think that most retailers can appreciate fanboy abuse, so I highly reccomend that you grab Macross M3 just because you might never get that good of a chance ever again.

...Then you can engage in some online fanboy sales abuse, yourself! :p

Guest Khyron_Prime
Those $10 ~ $20 games are US releases and the only ones left on the shelves are crappy sports titles.

And...? The places where I find my Dreamcast games have every single one of their games within that price range, whether its NBA2K or Skies of Arcadia. Admittedly, yes, there are a lot of sports titles out there, but even though something very important must be considered...

Macross M3 was never released outside of Japan.

...that doesn't automatically give the sellers a reason to slap an overpriced tag on Macross M3. To be honest, the video game store that I regularly visit has had a copy of M3 for the past three years sitting on the shelf behind the counter. Its annoying...taunting me... :o but with Dreamcast games, one would think that sellers would be ready to get rid of their stock, but alas, greed prevails...

Unfortunately, the game has skyrocketed in value due to the fact that its relatively limited run now has copies in the hands of two types of people:

1) True Macross fans

2) People who would enjoy the chance to sell to true Macross fans :angry:

So, even though the game is terrible (or so I've heard), it still fetches a good price because its either being sold by a Macross fan who knows what other fans are willing to pay and doesn't necessarily want to release it from his colleciton; or being sold by some dealer who just happened to get his hands on it, knows what a market there is for these Japanese Macross games in the growing number of animé fans, and attaches words like "Sterling," "Veritech," and "Miriya" to his description line when trying to sell it.

In the end, its kinda become a demand-over-supply measure, despite the fact that, yes, as we all know, the game stinks.

But the box is cool. Reeeeaaaallly cool.

If I could only buy a box separately... :blink:

• 3 weeks later...

I don't recommend playing it if you are thinking about using an emulator. The game is tough enough using the original Dreamcast controller, I don't think it will be playable using mapped keys on a PC because you are required to go crazy on the stick while firing and giving your Valk frequent boosts to evade enemy fire. Failing to keep any of the 3 key tasks going simultaneously usually results in your ass being blown out of the sky. :lol:

I don't recommend playing it if you are thinking about using an emulator. The game is tough enough using the original Dreamcast controller, I don't think it will be playable using mapped keys on a PC because you are required to go crazy on the stick while firing and giving your Valk frequent boosts to evade enemy fire. Failing to keep any of the 3 key tasks going simultaneously usually results in your ass being blown out of the sky. :lol:

You didn't know the Dreamcast can boot CD-Rs?

I don't recommend playing it if you are thinking about using an emulator.  The game is tough enough using the original Dreamcast controller, I don't think it will be playable using mapped keys on a PC because you are required to go crazy on the stick while firing and giving your Valk frequent boosts to evade enemy fire.  Failing to keep any of the 3 key tasks going simultaneously usually results in your ass being blown out of the sky.  :lol:

how do you burn Dreamcast games? I downloaded M3, but i don't know how.

I don't recommend playing it if you are thinking about using an emulator.  The game is tough enough using the original Dreamcast controller, I don't think it will be playable using mapped keys on a PC because you are required to go crazy on the stick while firing and giving your Valk frequent boosts to evade enemy fire.  Failing to keep any of the 3 key tasks going simultaneously usually results in your ass being blown out of the sky.  :lol:

how do you burn Dreamcast games? I downloaded M3, but i don't know how.

Use Google.

In the time you've spent waiting for a reply, you could ahve already found out how.

Jolly Rogers: My mistake. I thought you were implying "buy it or ignore it".