Kaiyodo "Robot Museum Series" Strike Valkyrie

Skull Leader

I recently picked up a pair of recasts of the Kaiyodo "Robot Museum Series" VF-1A/S Battroid Valkyrie kit from our very own "Valkyrie."

This one: kaiyodo_valkyrie_box.jpg

Before you go asking, the recasts weren't his, he picked them up in a trade elsewhere and has no intentions of recsting them (after all, they're in my posession now). That said, the recasts were God-awful. Parts twisted and bent, sometimes parts so thin you can see right through them.

HAVING SAID THAT.... the first one I put together (the worst of the two, as near as I could tell) came together surprisingly well. I had to snap the gun in two, sand down the broken edges and glue it back together, the gun was so insanely bent. I think I accidentally snapped the headlaser off 3 times before I finally got it to stay on.

The kit itself comes with around 20 parts or so and gives you the option of making a VF-1S or a VF-1A, and then you have the option of building it as either a super or strike valkyrie. (but not as a standard type... but then, it would only take a little bit of puttying and sanding to make it that way!). Despite the poorness of the recasts, the level of detail really shines through. The shoulders and other areas of exposed machinery SHOULD have a nice level of detail to them (mine would be better, if the recast wasn't so wretched).

The kit is a fixed-pose statue and seems to strive for an ideal-proportion Battroid and not transformation accurate. The shoulders stick out quite a bit and the wings are WAY too small. The kit is "unscaled", but it seems to be right around 1/160-165 scale. I stood it next to a 1/170 ARII VF-1D battroid and it was only slightly larger.

Overall, I rather enjoyed building this kit, despite the TLC I had to pack into it. I only paid $5 for the pair of kits, and I'd say I got my moneys worth out of them.

Kit overall: 8/10 (It would recieve higher marks if it was show-accurate)

Recast: 6/10 (whoever recasted this kit was either a monkey, drunk, blind, or some combination thereof)

(pics to follow)

Edited by Skull Leader

the VF-1 Kit was the first in the "Robot Museum" series Kaiyodo did.... I have the VF-19S kit that is #12 in that same series. I'm curious as to what other Macross kits may be in the series. Anyone have a list? If you do, please PM me or lemme know here, I'd love to pick them up. I'm looking forward to doing my VF-19 kit, which is genuine Kaiyodo, not a recast.

post-17-1083716784.jpg

Oh, they're worlds-away better than the ARII. As I said, if it weren't for the shoulders and the wings, it would be perfect. But they wanted a better action pose-looking valkyrie, and so that's how they made it