Yuusha-Oh GaoGaiGar (勇者王ガオガイガー)
Sunrise/Nagoya TV/Victor Entertainment, 1997-1998
AnimeWorks, 2006-2008
Directed by Yoshitomo Yonetani (Betterman, Brigadoon)
Running Time: 26 minutes per episode.
Rated 13 & Up for graphic violence and mild language

"Final Fusion - Approved!"
"Final Fuson - Program Drive!"

Cast
Nobuyuki Hiyama (Shiro in Mobile Suit Gundam: The 08th MS Team, Yushiro in Gasaraki) as Guy
Maiko Ito (Atsuko in Boogiepop Phantom) as Mamoru
Tomoe Hanba (Lucciola in Last Exile) as Mikoto
Koji Ishii (Kimura-sensei in Azumanga Daioh, Oji in The Legend of Black Heaven) as Taiga
Hisao Egawa as Hyuma/Goldy Marg
Miki Narahashi as Swan/Reiko
Kenichi Ogata (Genma in Ranma 1/2, Myoga in Inu-Yasha) as Leo/Pasdar
Hiroaki Ishikawa as Kazuo/Sueo
Tsutomu Kashiwakura as Entouji/Takayasu/Penchinon
Shinichi Yamada as Hyoryu/Enryu/ChoRyuJin/Rairyu/Furyu/GekiRyuJin
Katsuyuki Konishi (Samurai Deeper Kyo, Louie the Rune Soldier) as VolFogg
Mitsuo Iwata (Kaneda in AKIRA, Itsuki in Initial D) as Mike Sounders
Konami Yoshida (Metal Fighter Miku, Umi in Magic Knight Rayearth) as Hana
Yuri Sa as Mamoru's mother/Ikumi
Kohzou Shioya (Majin Buu in Dragon Ball Z) as Mamoru's father/Polonaise
Miho Yamada (Miki inMagic User's Club) as Mamoru's teacher
Kiyoshi Kobayashi (Jigen in Lupin III, Delaz in Mobile Suit Gundam 0083) as the narrator

"Final Fusion!"

Synopsis
In the year 2005, a race of evil aliens called the "Zonders" emerge from underneath the Earth's surface and stage numerous attacks on Tokyo with their robot monsters designated as "E.I." (Enemy Invaders). To combat this threat, the 3G (Gutsy Geoid Guard) bring out the cyborg hero Guy and the mechanical lion Galeon (once combined, they become the humanoid robot GaiGar). But when an EI is deemed too tough to control, 3G approves "Final Fusion," where GaiGar merges with DrillGao (a drill tank), LinerGao (a bullet train) and StealthGao (a stealth bomber) to become Earth's ultimate line of defense - the mighty robot GaoGaiGar.

Story: A
At first, GaoGaiGar can be dismissed as a kiddie anime, but underneath the hokey premise and the first episode intro that is so Superman, GaoGaiGar has everything you want in an super robot anime - colossal mecha action, over-the-top heroes and extremely sinister villains. As a matter of fact, the Zonders would become a major inspiration for other anime villains like the Invaders in Gate Keepers. Kids will idolize the show's main heroes Guy and Mamoru, while guys will be hooked on the show's hot chicks and cool mecha. GaoGaiGar is loads of fun for everyone.

Animation: A-
For a TV series aimed at kids, Sunrise threw everything and the kitchen sink in animating GaoGaiGar. The animation itself is groundbreaking by its own right, using a perfect blend of 2D cel art with 3D computer effects. The character designs by Takahiro Kimura (Betterman, Brigadoon) have everything from slick outfits to really hot female characters like 3G's Mikoto and Swan or the evil Zonder chick Primarda. (My co-worker even thinks Mamoru's foster mother is hot.) Kunio Okawara's (Mobile Suit Gundam, Betterman) design for GaoGaiGar is his best work ever. With weapons and tools like the "Broken Magnum" (a Rocket Punch on steroids), "Dividing Driver" (a giant screwdriver used to create a battlefield to keep the fights away from the city) and the "Goldion Hammer" (you have to see this to believe it), GaoGaiGar puts most other Super Robots to shame.

Soundtrack: A
Ga-Ga-Ga! Ga-Ga-Ga-GaoGaiGar!
Ga-Ga-Ga! Ga-Ga-Ga-Ga-GaoGaiGar!

The show's soundtrack ain't no slouch, either, as the opening theme "Yuusha-Oh Tanjo!" is the most energetic robot theme song ever recorded. In addition, Kohei Tanaka (Gunbuster, Sakura Wars) supplies an outstanding orchestral score that mixes perfectly with the action.

Sub vs. Dub
Under construction.

The Bottom Line
Non stop mecha action, awesome animation and a killer soundtrack to boot. No wonder GaoGaiGar is the King of Braves. This Gao's for you.

Links
Official Yuusha-Oh GaoGaiGar Homepage

Reference
Anime News Network Edited by areaseven

GaoGaigar is awesome if you like Brave series shows.

If you watch it and find it to be just a tad too silly for you, like I do, check out Brave Train Might Gaine. Its definitely one of the most awesome shows I've seen recently, although its hard to track down. Awesome characters, /beautiful/ animation style, and cool music, and its more adult than most other brave shows, and the entire feel of the show is very great. Definitely a must see for all mecha fans. But yes, do go see GaoGaigar, and I definitely recommend Might Gaine if you like that. Might Gaine is my favorite Brave show.

-BEN-MAN-

GaoGaigar is awesome if you like Brave series shows.

If you watch it and find it to be just a tad too silly for you, like I do, check out Brave Train Might Gaine. Its definitely one of the most awesome shows I've seen recently, although its hard to track down. Awesome characters, /beautiful/ animation style, and cool music, and its more adult than most other brave shows, and the entire feel of the show is very great. Definitely a must see for all mecha fans. But yes, do go see GaoGaigar, and I definitely recommend Might Gaine if you like that. Might Gaine is my favorite Brave show.

-BEN-MAN-

I managed to watch the fansubs of Might Gaine and I'll post a review on it soon. B)

Oops, this is a SPOILER ALERT!!!

Oh, I managed to watch episode 25 fansubbed and Macross 7 fans should have a look.

The recent addition to the characters is robot Mic Sounders 13, a SD-style robot that transforms into a rock singer robot. The fun part was using his singing to seriously affect the Zonder-robot-of-the-week while reviving the Braves at the same time. It's a great ep to watch. :D

Just make sure the lights are well-lit and don't look close to the monitor because the singing parts will have lots of flashy backgrounds and lights.

Edited by Captain of the SDF-1 Macross

I love Gaogaigar as well. Didn't expect to like it this much since I just decided to check it out because of its recent appearance in Super Robot Wars Alpha 2 for Playstation 2. But after watching some episodes on DVD, I was totally glued to it. Loved the way they tried to revive the super robot genre with the over the top attitude & creative ways of implementing tools & gadgets into super duper special moves. Also with great characters and stories that both kids & adults can enjoy. Then with the Gaogaigar Final, they grab all the characters, stories & actions we grew to love, and bring them to a whole new level. Man, I have to say that the episode 2 of Final has to be one of the most dramatic & awe-inspiring robot fights in anime history! The drama, the tension, the emotions, the animations, the music.... everything blends in perfectly into a perfect moment of super robot anime....

Have seen a few recent super robot shows like Shin Getter, Neo Getter, Mazinkaiser, Rahxephon, Big O...etc. As cool as they all are in their own ways, I think Gaogaigar Final got the crown of my recent favorite.

Too bad I only have the first 3 episodes on fansubbed VCD :( . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . they rocked. I need to find the HK DVD's now! But being strapped for cash at this time it's gonna be hard but they will be mine, THEY WILL BE MINE!

~G25

Not too long ago, cwmodels pointed out that some new toy company is preparing to release a GaoFighGar toy with perfect transformation. Well, I just found this resin kit from the folks at Studio HalfEye.

Actually, I said a Fully Transformable Genesic GaoGaiGar toy is coming. It will be released by CM's corporation (who have gotten the Goagaigar License lately).

A transformable GaoFighGar toy was released by Yujin eariler this year. It needs to have parts removed to achieve Final Fusion, but it was a pretty decent toy over all. I come across it on ebay sometimes.

Too bad I only have the first 3 episodes on fansubbed VCD  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . they rocked. I need to find the HK DVD's now! But being strapped for cash at this time it's gonna be hard but they will be mine, THEY WILL BE MINE!

Well you could always get Anime-In-Actions releases from

http://bt.base0.net/aia/

They have done a EXCELLENT job on them.

Actually, I said a Fully Transformable Genesic GaoGaiGar toy is coming. It will be released by CM's corporation (who have gotten the Goagaigar License lately).

A transformable GaoFighGar toy was released by Yujin eariler this year. It needs to have parts removed to achieve Final Fusion, but it was a pretty decent toy over all. I come across it on ebay sometimes.

Are pics of this Genesic GaoGaiGar available online? I'd like to check the toy out before re-evaluating my funds.

Also, any word on whether or not GaoGaiGar FINAL will be fansubbed? I'd buy the HK bootleg DVDs, but I've been warned about the English subtitles.

Are pics of this Genesic GaoGaiGar available online? I'd like to check the toy out before re-evaluating my funds.

I've been looking for more pictures of it as well. The photo I saw was in the last issue of Character Models. It was really small and the toy is still a white colored prototype. But it did show the Lion and Robot mode for Galeon.

• 6 months later...

Today, I went to Chinatown and picked up the GaoGaiGar FINAL bootleg DVD along with the GaoFighGar figure by Yujin. I just finished the first three episodes and I must say "WOW!" The series is much darker and the animation is much better (though I noticed that the last few episodes have gone fully digital).

A full review should be available by Monday. As for the figure, I'll talk about it as well.

Ive got an HK set of GGG. I just need time to sit down and watch the whole thing.

A friend of mine was watching an episode with me and he compared it to Giant Robo. Which is kind of apt. Both shows have this huge, orchestral score and everything in em seems larger than life.

If only the subs weren't so bad... Its the same reason I haven't sat down to watch all of Orguss..

haha Mike Sounders. My fav is Choryujin!!!!! aka super pepsiman. the red and bue scheme plus the silver head jsut looks like a pepsiman. I also like Volfogg but the toy doesnt do him justice.

Anyone anoyed with crappy subs? I mean my version I would give it a D- for english grammer. It is a good thing I know some japanese to understand it. And aside form the overly repetitive and formulaic episodes I love that show!!!

Gaogaigar Final Novel > Gaogaigar Final OVA.

Yeah, I've heard the same thing. Looks like GGG & Betterman shares the same universe.

As of the GGG Yujin figures, I got those too. The small ones(GGG, GFG, Genesic GGG) feels just like MSIA, but with looser joints and slightly less advance design, but the sculpt is cool. The DX big transformable GFG's transformation is not anime accurate(need to swap a few parts), but heck of cool and much nicer proprtioned than Takara's DX GGG. With the Goldion Hammer(accessory that sold separately), the DX GFG is one of the best looking big robot toy in my collection, with some minor design flaws here & there.

Yuusha-oh GaoGaiGar FINAL ( 勇者王ガオガイガーFINAL )
Sunrise/Victor Entertainment, 2000-2003
U.S. Distributor Pending
Directed by Yoshitomo Kometani (Banner of the Stars, Brigadoon)
Not Rated (Suggested 16-Up). Contains graphic violence, T&A, HLA and S&M.

Additional Cast
Yumi Kakazu (Dita in Vandread, Asahina in RahXephon) as Renais

Ayako Kawasumi (Mahoromatic, Aoi in Ai Yori Aoshi) as Papillon

Synopsis
Following Gutsy Galaxy Guard's victory over the Zonder Empire and the 31 Primevals, a new threat make their appearance on Earth. GGG - with Guy Shishio and the newly-constructed GaoFighGar - team up with their French counterpart Chasseur to battle the evil organization BioNet. Among Chasseur's ranks is Renais Cardiff Shishioh - a former BioNet cyborg with the relentless pursuit of destroying those who took away her humanity. But as GGG and Chasseur fight the BioNet, GGG's bases around the world are suddenly attacked, and the recently-discovered "Q-Parts" and the original Gao Machines are stolen by Mamoru Amami, who has been abducted and cloned by an even greater threat known as the "Eleven Kings of Sol." Evicted from Earth by the United Nations, GGG must now travel to the far reaches of the galaxy to battle the Eleven Kings of Sol and save Mamoru before it's too late.

Story: B+ (for fans), C- (for non-fans)
For those used to the over-the-top atmosphere of the TV series, don't get too comfortable with GaoGaiGar FINAL. This OAV series is much darker and more graphic. The storyline is even more complex to near-Evangelion proportions. One good thing about GaoGaiGar FINAL is the addition of Renais, who is literally hot - not just by looks, but by the fact that she can fry anyone or anything she touches.

Keep in mind that unlike the TV series, GaoGaiGar FINAL is NOT for kids, as it has a whole bunch of T&A. At least it's still better than Shinkon Gattai Godannar and Chojuushin Gravion.

Animation: B
I was really hoping to give GaoGaiGar FINAL an A on animation quality after viewing the first half of the series. Unfortunately, the last half suddenly went all-digital to the point where it looked like a cross between Mobile Suit Gundam SEED (above average) and Z.O.E. Dolores, i (below average). Nevertheless, the series has GaoFighGar - which is sleeker and more streamlined than the original, and Genesic GaoGaiGar - which is downright more menacing. Let's not forget the gratuitous fan service - courtesy of Renais, Mikoto, Swan and Papillon.

But still...a one-year gap between the two halves of the OAV series doesn't mean the animation style should change dramatically.

Soundtrack: A
GA-GA-GA! GA-GA-GA-GAOGAIGAR!
GA-GA-GA! Fighting GAOGAIGAR!

Kohei Tanaka (Gate Keepers, Mobile Fighter G-Gundam) is back with more orchestral tracks to accompany the existing TV soundtrack. In addition, GaoGaiGar FINAL has a more energetic update of the series' anthem "Yuusha-oh Tanjo!" by Masaaki Endou (Chojuushin Gravion, Mazinkaiser: Shitou! Ankoku Daishogun).

The Bottom Line
GaoGaiGar FINAL may have its faults in terms of plot execution and animation style, but the series remains the King of Braves. This Gao's for you.

Links
Victor Entertainment's Official Yuusha-oh GaoGaiGar FINAL Homepage (Japanese)

Reference
Anime News Network

Edited by areaseven

I love this series, but it does go a little too over the top at times...but it makes me curious about some of the other brave series...specificly J-Decker, which looks retty cool to me with it's police theme...anyone catch that one? If so then how was it? hopefully just a pinch or two more serious then GGG...

Finally others who see what Godannar is truly about. I want to vomit everytime someone calls it a Super Robot show.

Oh, and Gaogaigar TV has the best ending of any toon I've ever seen. One of the few, if not the only time, I called an ending "perfect."

Ending of the TV was quite brilliant. I've alway been very intertested in how to solve a "pinocchio ending" in a story. It's definitely one of the very few times that was resolved smartly.

If you like GaoGaiGar then you should also check out Betterman. It's by the same production staff and the story takes place in the same universe and timeline with GaoGaiGar. Some plot, technology, and characters even corssover between Betterman and Final.