airbrush

Dat Pinche Haro!

i'm not a good modeler but i'm very patient in getting work done...i was wondering what kind of airbrush i should buy? i'm on a budget so i can't get anything too expensive...but i want it to be easy to use (like for a beginner, for instance) yet still be good

Hey, I just got great results with my $18 one from Wal-Mart. If you just want to spray large areas, go for it. It won't do fine panel lines or 5-color-freehand-feathered-edge-camouflage, but it'll lay down paint smoothly. :)

(Main advantage is that this has no nozzle, it's merely a modified plastic bottle cap--hey, it works, and there's only one piece to clean with no disassembly)

Man, I've got to be the only guy who spent more on photoetched brass radars for my ship, than on the airbrush it'll be painted with! :lol:

I like the Badger Anthem 155 series. Nice and reliable, and is quite affordable for what you get (about $50). Check here.

http://www.dixieart.com/

Edited by Alpha Omega

I asked the same question about a month ago, and didn't follow anyone's advice, but several people mentioned the Paasche H series for a decent, cheap beginner's brush.

http://www.dixieart.com/HSet.html Only $28 for everything you need, and is better than any Testors. :)

Well, here's my two cents. I've been using a Badger 200 Single action siphon/bottom feeding airbrush for 18 years now (with a university break in between) and it has been great. It was supposed to be my cheap beginner airbrush - but I never saw the need to upgrade it yet. In all these years, all I have done is clean it and get a new needle and head assembly. Not that the old one was broken, I just ran across a sale 7 years ago on a "fine" head/needle assembly, and wanted to replace my "medium" head/needle assembly that came with the airbrush. I would highly recommend this simple airbrush - its extremely easy to clean and the simplicity helps prevent clogging of heavier types of paint. This is the same airbrush I do all my painting today on and have absolutely no intentions of upgrading yet.

The thing I did splurge on is a decent compressor. I used to use an old refridgerator compressor I got at the junkyard for $5 - with a proper moisture tap and regulator it did the trick for 10 yrs. But I pampered myself with a SIL-AIR silent compressor now and man does it make a difference.

I asked the same question about a month ago, and didn't follow anyone's advice, but several people mentioned the Paasche H series for a decent, cheap beginner's brush.

http://www.dixieart.com/HSet.html Only $28 for everything you need, and is better than any Testors. :)

I agree, if you are really on a budget, a model H is a great airbrush. My dad has one, and it's what I learned to airbrush with.

And, BTW, aviod the testors "Aztek" brushes. Every pro studio modeller and graphic artist i've talked to has strongly reccommended against them. The plastic construction really isn't up to par.

Paasche H is what I started out with and I found it very easy to use and clean. I wouldn't be turned off just because it is single action, you can do some good things with a single action airbrush. On a side note, has anyone tried the Paasche Millenium brush?

I have an Iwata HP-B. It was $200 new, but it's a hellavan airbrush... I don't get to use it as often as I would like, but I love it....

I started with a AZTEK A470 and Testors AC200 compressor. They were okay to start with, but a friend told me look into the IWATA stuff. I ended up buying a Eclipse HP-SBS(the side feed version) and Smartjet compressor. Man, you could not believe the diffrence! Fine lines are sooo much easier and the action so much smoother. I have less splattering problems aswell! While the AC200 is a nice little compressor it's kind of noisy and I had moisture problems even with a trap. The smartjet is SILENT better airflow and no moisture problems at all! I liked the stuff so much I just got the Custom Micron-SB. I like the side feed configuration because it lets you see the tip of the airbrush for extra fine detailing. IMO spend the extra cash, these will probaly last forever and the diffrence between the Testors and Iwata has to be seen to be belived.

Here's a pic of my tools :D

post-3-1062809932_thumb.jpg

Ooh! I'd love one of those. I just have the Eclipse HP-BCS, the siphon feeder. I think I may get one of those iwata looking Japanese ones for a second brush, as they are just as high quality as Iwata. In fact, the same factory makes the Iwatas and the other ones, they just make a limited number for iwata and than produce their own ones for additional profit. I've been wanting a side feeder, the siphon is trouble. (especially because it spills everywhere unless I use a jar adaptor)

I'm with Noel on this one. I bought an el-cheapo Badger 350 and an inexpensive compressor from Wal-Mart (Campbell-Haufield) Even for a beginner like me, it has been terrifically easy to use the Badger. It was simply amazing to me to see the difference as opposed to trying to hand-brush or use spray cans! I paid forty dollars for the Badger and it is probably the best forty bucks I have ever invested in anything! :)

Melissa