what should the new series be?

Lightning

when should a new macross series take place?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. when should a new macross series take place?

• 2015-2020
    • 2020-2035
    • do the first part/half of Macross M3
    • 2051+
    • Destroid squadron during SDF TV

How about a story set in the era when the Protoculture was still around?  During the war vs. the Supervision forces or when the Zentradi are first being created.  Lots of story potential and fairly wide open in terms of continuity in that time period.

I'd like to see that, maybe poke around the Macross's origin a little, but still keeping it a mystery like the Millenium Falcon's origins. Maybe also show the beings Zentraedi like Millia, Britai, Kamujin, etc. were cloned from.

But it wouldn't have variable mechs.... so it wouldn't be as fun. :(

You took the words right out of my mouth.

I have always wanted to see a grittier Macross "Side Story" that parallels the first SDF Macross. Perhaps featuring a "nobody" flight group like Blue Squadron or something, a bunch of fresh out of flight school green pilots who fight through the trip back to earth from the botched space fold.

This series should be more true to the story of war and loss than the previous sugar coated Macross stories... I would actually like to see the entire "Blue Squadron" get wiped out in the final battle with the Badolza fleet. It would put a lot more importance on the original SDF Macross if we got to see the other people that flew with the "aces" and never made it home. It would go great lengths to putting a more human emotional face on Macross rather than the outrageous circus act it normally is. Kawamori and his gang tried to insert a lot of anti-war sentiment in the shows but it always comes off as stupid or goofy. I would also like to see more "love story" elements than just one "triangle" per show... perhaps the new show could involve the love stories of all the pilots... and how their partners feel when they get told "Tommy never came back from patrol".

I have always wanted to see a grittier Macross "Side Story" that parallels the first SDF Macross. Perhaps featuring a "nobody" flight group like Blue Squadron or something, a bunch of fresh out of flight school green pilots who fight through the trip back to earth from the botched space fold.

This series should be more true to the story of war and loss than the previous sugar coated Macross stories... I would actually like to see the entire "Blue Squadron" get wiped out in the final battle with the Badolza fleet. It would put a lot more importance on the original SDF Macross if we got to see the other people that flew with the "aces" and never made it home. It would go great lengths to putting a more human emotional face on Macross rather than the outrageous circus act it normally is. Kawamori and his gang tried to insert a lot of anti-war sentiment in the shows but it always comes off as stupid or goofy. I would also like to see more "love story" elements than just one "triangle" per show... perhaps the new show could involve the love stories of all the pilots... and how their partners feel when they get told "Tommy never came back from patrol".

that sounds cool, but havent we seen enough VF-1 stuff?

I like the original Macross and DYRL... everything else has gotten more and more goofy the further the timeline progresses. I would like to see more "backstory" or "side story" to the ones we already know. The same story told from a different angle with new characters gives you better insights into the original shows. Think how neat it would be to be introduced to your favorite characters like Roy, Max and Hikaru through the eyes of green recruits who fly alongside them... perhaps the recruits saw Roy as a hard drinking hardass or an unapproachable stuck up person. We never knew because we only saw him through the eyes of Hikaru as the caring but debauched "Sempai".

Oh BTW Macross Zero is not what I had in mind... M0 is pretty much a rewritten preamble to a story we already knew...

that sounds cool, but havent we seen enough VF-1 stuff?

Sounds like Band of Brothers Macross-style.

That would be pretty sweet, although I'm a little hesitant to revisit the original series timeline since it'll have nothing really new.

I'm all for it, but side-stories make better OVA's, you know? For a TV series, have to have fresh faces and fresher mecha.

Definately 2051+ with the VF-19 as the cannon fodder and the VF-22 as special ops with the new next generation Valk(s) coming out.

Though an OVA about VF-X2 sounds cool too.

I think it would be cool to see a new series focused around the same time as the new oav, but also a bit before JUST when the UN forces first decided to pursue the development of variable technology. For me the most exciting thing about Macross is discordant situation between the earthlings and this alien force(whereas the micron forces had to develop the technology out of anticipation of necessity)...the farther into the future you set it, it seems like EVERYONE has some kind of cool weaponry and mecha, and that kind of makes it boring. Also maybe some of the history of of characters like Max and Hikaru as children.