Airbrushed my Iowa today!--Results

David Hingtgen

Well, after 3 entire bottles of 5L 1943 grey (I have to go back to the hobby shop tomorrow and buy more, and tell the owner to order more--I've used his entire stock up) the majority of my Iowa is in its overall color. My super-el-cheapo $18.44-at-Walmart airbrush did fine.

To VF-19: Thanks for the tip about the propellant can--I unscrewed the adaptor about 1.5 turns, and I do think it lowered the pressure coming out. I got much better results than I have before, using the same paint/thinner ratio.

All in all, it went better than I hoped. Of course, nothing ever goes perfect, and I'll have to totally strip 2 parts, sand and repaint two more (might strip them anyway, could be easier), go over all the 5-in guns again (despite them getting more coats anyway), and try to remove dust/lint from one entire batch. (No matter how hard you try, some parts will get lint on them RIGHT before you spray).

But all in all, it went quite well. For only having 5 parts come out poorly out of probably 40 major and 70 minor parts, that's a great ratio for me. (Hey, for my starship, I had to redo the ENTIRE saucer and shuttle bay after dropping it about 20 secs after painting it) To redo a few parts like this is nothing.

Finally---since the lower hull isn't ready yet, I didn't paint my 30.25 inch long piece. That'll be a few days from now, when I do "round two". (Which will be the masts, radar, gun tubs, and anything that needs to be redone from the first round).

Then we're on to actually painting the dazzle camoflage pattern. :)

Maybe after I'm done with this and the Tirpitz and The Sullivans, I might do a Yukikaze plane. :) (I'd paint it black and titanium, it'd just look cool)

Edited by David Hingtgen

Ack, first reply didn't work. (I don't think it likes attachments straight from the camera)

Anyways: The two-hull BB in Naval Ops is two Yamatos tied together. That'd cost at least 80 bucks.

5L 1943 is one of those paints that takes 2 full days for the color to really appear. (Many blue-greens do this, but this is the first blue-grey I've seen it happen to). It'll be a bit darker, and a good bit blue-er tomorrow night.

It actually floats, BTW. (Can't wash the plastic in the sink, too big--had to use the tub--might as well test it out while it's there)

VF-11's sometimes go out rowing when you're not watching them...

Here's the main superstructure/#2 barbette/5in gun emplacements (big piece), 3 main turrets, and misc. bits (mainly forward fire control and air defense towers, plus the 40mm emplacements between the funnels). (There's 3 times as many parts painted as shown here--about 1 bottle per cardboard box) But this is the box with most of the big main parts.

Tomorrow I'll post pics of dry-fitting, etc so you can see how it'll look all together.

::edit:: Heh heh. I told you I was modelling a BIG ship. Wait until you see the ship all together, and not fore-shortened due to a head-on camera angle. Think I'll put a Yammie on the aft deck for scale... :)

Edited by David Hingtgen

David,

thanks for share. I like the VF-11 inside the hull (nobody can say that this is a not Macross related topic ;)

I have Tamiya 1/350 Yamato waiting. I'm planning to start constructing it after my weekend house is finished (next december or january ) In fact I'm planning to do more naval modelling in the new house (the wife gave me green light to use a room for my models)

Maybe you would like this story: I have an architect dealing with the construction of the house and a submarine captain dealing with the papers... In fact he is not just another sub commander he was the captain of ARA San Luis (S-32) (a type 209 german build sub) during the 1982 Malvinas/Falklands war. What is even more interesting is that he is eager to tell me details of the war operations and he also likes to talk about subs!!! Onother interesting point concerning this man and crew deeds during the war was that they confirmed the fears about small diesel subs even for a specialized antisubmarine fleet such as the british during the eighties (he insists that one torpedo was able to hit a british ship)

Here is a quote from a very interesting australian site LINK to Ahoy - Mac's Web Log

The Royal Navy had professionalism on its side, on the flip side of the coin, the Armada Republica Argentina (ARA) lacked geninuine leadership, its lack of preparation and training were to become evident in due course. Probably the ARA Submarine San Luis was their best performer, operating within British controlled waters for over 10 days.....

At 1000 (10 AM) San Luis sighted a large surface warship which could only be British , a torpedo spread was fired, but all the fish ran amok, and missed their target, although an explosion was heard, the British appeared unaware they had been under attack. Sono buoys were dropped from the Sea Kings, but no target was established, in flight fuelling was used for the first time under war conditions, a Sea King would hover astern of a frigate, pick up a fuel line with a hook, and hover for 15 minutes, during the fuelling operation, the frigate maintained its Anti-Suibmarine Warfare manoeuvers, and the chopper pilot really needed to concentrate whilst he followed the movements of his mother ship.

Notwithstanding this intense search by the British ships and aircraft, San Luis remained unscathed sitting on a rocky shelf.

Edited by Gerwalker

Very interesting. (My uncle was the missile man on several SSBN's)

Anyways, pics for scale:

(I aligned the highest point on the ship with the VF-11---it's impossible to keep the whole thing in focus when you've got this perspective) Final model will be several inches taller with the antennas and radar masts installed up top. :)

I've gotta stop taking photographs while the sun's setting--HARSH contrast and shadows. Anyways, here's a nice overall shot. This'll be the last pic for a while, the next thing will be the finished camoflaged hull. (I don't even have the red bottom done yet as you can see) (Then I have the remaining 150 guns or so to do). Yup, final armament will be 9 16in guns, 20 5in guns, 76 40mm guns, and 52 20mm guns. (Iowa class reigned supreme against ANYTHING for anti-aircraft) As you can imagine, I've spent many hours sanding gun barrels...

PS--bought more 5L 1943 light grey today. :)

Little update: finished priming the hull, and a few other misc bits (mainly 20mm locations). Will spend the next day or two cutting out and priming all the little bits. (52 20mm guns, 19 40mm guns, about a hundred life rafts, dozens of gun directors, etc). After that, finish the light grey application (mostly touchups, plus the hull and little bits), then do the navy blue camo pattern after it's dried a few days. Let that dry for a few days. Then the boot topping (aka the black paint at the waterline) then the brown/red hull bottom.

And then the hard part, many many hours of masking and miles of tape to paint all the decks blue. And hope that the tape doesn't pull the paint off the resin parts.

While waiting for stuff to dry, I have other kits to build. (Nothing like a submarine for instant sense of accomplishment---top half, bottom half, and a lot of black paint)