New Kawamori Series In The Works

therealfolkblues

I hope its another pioneer of Real Robots. There hasnt been a /REAL/ real robot show since Votoms and Patlabor (dont worry, i know im missing out on a lot). I want to see more mecha that could actually exist. No more crazy 'black technology', no more Escaflowne. Im sure it will be original no matter what it is. So it will have to be awesome. I just want another realistic Real Robot show. There arent that many of them.

I sure as poo hope its more like Macross 7 than Escaflowne. Escaflowne was annoying. People who dont like Macross 7 just dont get it. But thats just my exper oppinion ^__^

Either way, its gonna be awesome if theres mecha in it done by Kawamori. Ya never know, maybe it will be Dorvack II, LoL ^_^ (although I dont think Kawamori did /anything/ on that series except design the mecha..)

-BEN-MAN-

Look, any future Macross series will clearly focus on one very special veteran of Space War 1: The automated Cambot. With his plucky sidekick, the Petite Cola machine, he will brave new dangers and overcome new challenges. I'm personally excited to see what advances in vending maching mecha designs Kawamori has made since '83. :ph34r:

The other thing to remember is last time, we got Macross series in twos: Mac Plus and Mac 7 came out around the same time. So it's not outside the realm of possibility, and this one might have HAL working on it for character designs.

For my own hopes, I'd like to see maybe if not a newly-animated version of the original Macross series (Yeah, and maybe Gary Goleman will be our next Governor), a side story set during the original series, perhaps about another VF-1 squadron.

Yes, I want a series that'll showcase the VF-4 as the main valk. If not another Macross series, something with transforming mecha, thats all I really want. I was thinking a new series should be made along the lines of 08th MS Team but from what I understand, most if not all the Zentradi fleet was concentrating on isolating and capturing the Macross. Were there skirmishes, battles on other fronts? From what I can tell and understand from the movie, it seems like the UN Spacy didn't exactly do much of anything to aid the Macross or really fight the Zentradi except for the completion of the grand cannon.

I have to agree with what some others have said, I have a feeling that this new series won't be macross :( Although I would love it to be, I think that Kawamori only does Macross to kind of pay back us fans who have loved it for so long. Correct me if I am wrong, but I do recall reading somewhere that the story for Macross Plus wasn't even originally conceived as a Macross story, but that the sponsors would only green-light it if it was indeed Macross-related. And while the thought of no more Macross after Zero does bum me out, Kawamori has proved to me that he knows how to tell a great story with Escaflowne and the good-intentioned, but heavy-handed Arjuna. So it really is a win-win situation any way you look at it, although a new Macross series would be like winning the lottery!!!

If its designed to follow in the footsteps of Macross, I'll betcha a few things.

-Its a real robot show.

-It'll have some kind of innner meaning.

-It'll have transforming mecha.

-There will be romance in it.

Those are /facts/, as far as Im concerned. Its the formula Shoji has done with most of his mecha anime.

-BEN-MAN-

I absolutely love Escaflowne, but I hope the new series isn't a sequal. Esca did everything right. It had a great story without any filler. It had interesting characters who were developed along the way. It had good animation, good designs, and a killer soundtrack. It was also very complete and had a good ending. Tacking something onto it would just be wrong.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if the new series was a sequel to Escafowne!

Graham

I would enjoy a good follow up for Escaflowne.

Though the original did get it just right, IMO.

Edited by Anubis

Graham

Ewww! ....Nooooo <_< Sorry...But am I the only one who doesn't like Escaflowne? :blink:

Melissa

I'm not saying that's what I want. It's not. Although I enjoyed Escaflowne, I'm not really interested in seeing a sequel. But it is a posibility Sunrise and Kawamori will make one.

Of couse, I want a new Macross TV series and just for the record, I'd like it set in the 2020-2035 period.

Graham

Graham

Ewww! ....Nooooo <_< Sorry...But am I the only one who doesn't like Escaflowne? :blink:

Melissa

I'm not saying that's what I want. It's not. Although I enjoyed Escaflowne, I'm not really interested in seeing a sequel. But it is a posibility Sunrise and Kawamori will make one.

Of couse, I want a new Macross TV series and just for the record, I'd like it set in the 2020-2035 period.

Graham

A Escaflowne sequel would be great to sell the new transformable Escaflowne model kit and the never released Yamato Escaflowne (maybe they plan to release it toghether with the new SK robot show?). :ph34r:

Hmm.... perhaps we could be witnessing what could be the birth of another Macross or Gundam. :)

Gundam... I was just thinking that myself! After all, isn't Gundam coming up on 25? Kawamori, after all, was a Gundam fan... and Stardust Memory turned out to be a fan favorite, didn't it? Considering the lukewarm response to more recent Gundam series, Sunrise would want to do something big to catch fans' attentions, and Kawamori + Gundam seemed to work before.

Escaflowne... Abombz!, Melissa, and the Commander are the minority. I don't consider myself to be an anime fan... I only have DVDs from three different series. Macross, of course, then Gundam, and Escaflowne, which I thought was brilliant (although the character designs could have been a little better). Even my wife, who can't figure out why I'd want to buy Macross or Gundam, loved Escaflowne. But along with the other Escaflowne fans, I think a sequel would do more harm than good. Escaflowne told the story Kawamori wanted to tell, and ended the way it should have.

Macross... don't write Macross off yet. Yeah, Kawamori might have wanted to quit after DYRL. And yeah, his interview in the Design Works book did give the impression that he's tired of doing variable fighters. And yeah, we're probably too far away from Macross' 25th for him to be working on something for that. But Macross is a mecha franchise that is probably only second to Gundam in fame. Toys, models, games, and other merchandise are still being made and still bringing in the money, even if Macross 7 and Macross Zero weren't the runaway hits they might have hoped for. I think Kawamori will continue to do Macross, because if he doesn't, I think Big West will get someone else to do them again, ala Macross II. That said... I kinda get the feeling that it's not another Macross.

A brand new series... why not? Not much to say about this one.

Of all those possibilities, the one I'd like the best is another Macross. I'm with Lightning06 on this one, we've seen enough of the VF-1, and Space War I is covered pretty well. I wouldn't mind if Kawamori concentrated on 2013-2039, and filled in the gaps in the VF series. I also wouldn't mind a series that deals with the time after 2051. Still, if I have to go on a hunch, I'd say the above possibility that'll turn out to be it is the Gundam one.

Graham

Melissa

Nope. I'm with you and Abombz!!, Escaflowne was a peice of crap. Kawamori needs to stick to sci-fi mecha, not fantasy mecha.

Same here. Escaflowne didn't grab me, and what I saw of Arjuna turned me off (the environmental message, while laudable, was s subtle as a freakin' 2X4...).

I like the show alot but Escaflowne really doesn't need a sequel. It really didn't need a movie either...

Well if its a new Macross series, hire anyone else but the chump who did the character designs for Macross Zero. For the most part they are hideous.

I tried to like them.

Maybe it will be like how Spring and Chaos was made. Macross' characters and mechs are cats. They can preach an environmental message like Arjuna :lol: "Ya know when ya eat cheeseburgers...."

A new Macross series might interest me but since my interest in serious

sci-fi mech anime is at an all time low... so who knows. Thankfully Macross isn't always dependent on mechs.

Gundam... I was just thinking that myself! After all, isn't Gundam coming up on 25? Kawamori, after all, was a Gundam fan... and Stardust Memory turned out to be a fan favorite, didn't it? Considering the lukewarm response to more recent Gundam series, Sunrise would want to do something big to catch fans' attentions, and Kawamori + Gundam seemed to work before.

Well, the next Gundam is a sequel to SEED, that's already been confirmed. It's unlike they'd start another new series, but hey... you never know.

As for 0083, Kawamori only did design work on that... I got the impression from the original post that Kawamori is involved with this new series at a creative level. But hey, you never know! :lol:

I'd like something 2051 and beyond myself. Maybe seeing Isamu... or his child or something and the "next generation" valk. Maybe a more mature UN Spacy with "cannon fodder" VF-19B's and "special ops" VF-22's with a new experimental VF on the scene... Enemy... some strange alien (naturally with transforming mecha) or something.

I've never been much interested in "filling in the gaps" in VF development (VF-4, etc), though.

I'm kinda doubting this is a macross series, though.

Gundam... I was just thinking that myself!  After all, isn't Gundam coming up on 25?  Kawamori, after all, was a Gundam fan... and Stardust Memory turned out to be a fan favorite, didn't it?  Considering the lukewarm response to more recent Gundam series, Sunrise would want to do something big to catch fans' attentions, and Kawamori + Gundam seemed to work before.

Well, the next Gundam is a sequel to SEED, that's already been confirmed. It's unlike they'd start another new series, but hey... you never know.

As for 0083, Kawamori only did design work on that... I got the impression from the original post that Kawamori is involved with this new series at a creative level. But hey, you never know! :lol:

According to Bandai.... a new series aimed for the hardcore fans is due out late 2004 around the time the second Seed show is over.

Escaflowne... Abombz!, Melissa, and the Commander are the minority. I don't consider myself to be an anime fan... I only have DVDs from three different series. Macross, of course, then Gundam, and Escaflowne, which I thought was brilliant (although the character designs could have been a little better). Even my wife, who can't figure out why I'd want to buy Macross or Gundam, loved Escaflowne. But along with the other Escaflowne fans, I think a sequel would do more harm than good. Escaflowne told the story Kawamori wanted to tell, and ended the way it should have.

No we are not. You are just saying that to make yourself feel better.

I'm not saying there aren't many Escaflowne fans out there, I'm just saying that its not as popular as you might think. <_<

I think some people are being overly enthusiastic about this unknown and unconfirmed mecha series.

The reaction of people here surprises me greatly mainly because we haven´t seen the end of Zero yet and people are already praying for a new series. And for whoever said M0 was an unsuccesful series that´s rubish , it hasn´t sold well but we´ve only seen 2 episodes of 30 minutes so far and each very expensive which is an awful mistake by BW and Bandai Visual but it has nothing to do with the quality of the OVAs , and for that matter Yukikaze hasn´t sold well either and yet is a quite popular series (even though it sucks story-wise ).

just my thoughts

I think some people are being overly enthusiastic about this unknown and unconfirmed mecha series.

The reaction of people here surprises me greatly mainly because we haven´t seen the end of Zero yet and people are already praying for a new series. And for whoever said M0 was an unsuccesful series that´s rubish , it hasn´t sold well but we´ve only seen 2 episodes of 30 minutes so far and each very expensive which is an awful mistake by BW and Bandai Visual but it has nothing to do with the quality of the OVAs , and for that matter Yukikaze hasn´t sold well either and yet is a quite popular series (even though it sucks story-wise ).

just my thoughts

Price wise.... thats the standard DVD pricing in Japan. As for OVAs.... DVD only OVAs aren't successful untill all the DVDs are made available, specially long running series like Macross Zero. Very few fans can commit to watching one episode every 4 or 5 months, only hard core fans do that.

For a final veredict on how well Macross Zero is doing.... wait till all the DVDs are out and Bandai tried to bundle them in a more appealing package. :)

For a final veredict on how well Macross Zero is doing.... wait till all the DVDs are out and Bandai tried to bundle them in a more appealing package. :)

Where are the numbers on how Zero has been doing? I haven't heard anything either way, but I did wonder how it is being received...

Where are the numbers on how Zero has been doing? I haven't heard anything either way, but I did wonder how it is being received...

No numbers. Like I said before, it shows up on the charts for 2 weeks or so and drops out.

We discussed that topic long ago on the old boards.

Price wise.... thats the standard DVD pricing in Japan. As for OVAs.... DVD only OVAs aren't successful untill all the DVDs are made available, specially long running series like Macross Zero. Very few fans can commit to watching one episode every 4 or 5 months, only hard core fans do that.

Precisely ;) , I hope they add subs for the final version.

Precisely ;) , I hope they add subs for the final version.

Word! That should be standard procedure.... at least in short OVAs. :)