Haja Taisei Dangaioh ( 破邪大星ダンガイオー )
AIC/ARTMIC/Bandai Visual, 1987-1989
U.S. Renditions, 1990-1992 (Out of Print)
Directed by Toshihiro Hirano (Hades Project Zeorymer, Fight! Iczer-One)
Not Rated (Suggested 13-Up). Contains graphic violence and strong language.

(Author's note: This review covers the original subtitled release, not Manga Entertainment's butchered version.)

"Cross-Fight! Dangaio!"

Cast

Mayumi Shou (Yuratei in Hades Project Zeorymer, Chi-Chi in Dragon Ball/DBZ/DBGT) as Mia Alice

Akira Kamiya (Roy Focker in Macross/Macross Zero, Ryo in City Hunter) as Roll Kran

Maya Okamoto (Emma in Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam, Liza in Macross Dynamite 7) as Lamba Nom

Naoko Matsui (Katsumi in Silent Möbius, Rally in Riding Bean) as Pai Thunder

Takeshi Aono (Dakuan in Ninja Scroll, Katsuhito and Noboyuki in Tenchi Muyo!) as Dr. Tarsan

Shigeru Chiba (Shiba in Patlabor, Megane in Urusei Yatsura) as Gil Berg

Kenichi Ogata (Genma in Ranma 1/2, Azaka in Tenchi Muyo!) as Galimos

Ichiro Mizuki (legendary anime and tokusatsu singer) as Yoldo

Mitsuko Horie (legendary anime and tokusatsu singer) as Dira

Masako Katsuki (Emeraldas in Harlock Saga, Lucette in Mobile Suit Gundam 0083) as Shazarla

Kazuhiko Inoue (Cyborg 009, Jerid in Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam) as Burst.

Synopsis
Four psychic teenagers - Mia Alice, Roll Kran, Lamba Nom and Pai Thunder - are brainwashed by the scientist Dr. Tarsan as pilots of his greatest experiment - the giant robot Dangaioh. But as their memories slowly return, these pilots use their abilities and Dangaioh to combat the tyranny of Captain Galimos and the Bunker Space Pirates.

Story: B-
Next to Gunbuster, Dangaio was among the first set of subtitled anime titles in my collection. It's not as good as Gunbuster, but it has a decent plot, great mecha action and okay character development. The U.S. Renditions release is also infamous for mistranslating Psychic as "Side-kick." Aside from that, Dangaio has many elements that giant robot anime enthusiasts love. Unfortunately, the series ended in a cliffhanger that has yet to find a true ending (and no, it's not that poor excuse for a sequel called Great Dangaioh).

Animation: A
The animation quality of Dangaio is outstanding, even by today's standards. And it's hard to beat Shoji Kawamori's (Macross, The Vision of Escaflowne) design for Dangaio itself. Character designs by Toshihiro Hirano. Supporting mechanical designs by Masami Obari (Bubblegum Crisis, Fatal Fury) and Koichi Ohata (Gunbuster, M.D. Geist).

Soundtrack: B-
Since the 1970s, Michiaki Watanabe has composed memorable soundtracks for anime titles like Mazinger Z, as well as live-action shows like Jinzou Ningen Kikaider. Unfortunately, he doesn't have much of new material in Dangaio; the soundtrack uses BGM recycled from his other works (the Psychic Wave BGM on episode 1 is taken from Uchuu Keiji Shaider). As a matter of fact, Dangaio's soundtrack would later on be recycled in the 2003 TV series Shinkon Gattai Godannar. At least Dangaio has a catchy opening theme performed by veteran anime vocalists Mitsuko Horie (Choudenji Machine Voltes V, Candy Candy) and Ichiro Mizuki (Mazinger Z, Getter Robo Armageddon).

Cross-Fight! Cross-Fight! (Cross-Fight!)
Just cross for love
Atsuku atsuku atsuku tatakae!
Dangaio!

The Bottom Line
Dangaio is fun for old-school robot anime fans. Too bad you can't get a decent version of this title in the U.S. anymore.

Reference
Anime News Network

Edited by areaseven

Err.....didn't you review this already, or am I getting mixed up?

Graham

Previously on the old boards, I reviewed Manga Video's butchered version. And I don't want to talk about that particular version anymore.

Amen, brother. I just also recently got my Dangaio bootleg DVD untill I can track down a used R2 release.

I still have my original US Renditions VHS tapes and am rather hardpressed to never get rid of them now since Mangle has trashed the series. Friggin idiots. I guess they figured your average classic anime fan wouldn't mind if they edited it a bit.

And speaking of a licensed region 2 version, does anyone know where to get one at a reasonable price? Now that both of my DVD players are region free after the hacks I got, I'd be more interested in getting them instead of a bootleg.

• 2 years later...

PHYSIC WAVE!!! I love the animation of this show! One of the great classics for me...yes the dubbed version..what were they thinking? shreed a couple of episodes and why remove the japanese audio subtitles on the dvd release? I too have the VHS tapes and are guarding it with great care...just need time to move it over to a dvd :) I cant wait for the Revoltech Dangaioh toy to be released soon!

[attachmentid=40598]

post-1915-1171912263_thumb.jpg

Edited by penachoy

Some 17 years ago, I had rented The Robotech Saga along with Guyver, Macross II, and this (Dangaio). I like everything about Dangaio. Of course I only saw the U.S. Renditions versions, and I only have part 3 of the VHS tapes. I haven't been able to find the first two parts anywhere. I was thinking about buying the Manga versions, but after hearing everyone's reaction to those, I think I'll avoid them.

I would like to make a live action version of this awesome series, I have a vision for things like this :p .

Does anyone know if any of the songs in all three of the old U.S. Renditions versions are available anywhere? I like the two rock songs that were in part 3.

BTW, are the Japanese DVDs still availalbe anywhere? Online? I haven't looked.

Does anyone know if they have this DVD w/ English Subtitles (Japanese Language) instead? I have the DVD but it's Englished dubbed. :-( But I do have the VHS episodes in Japanese language/english subs

Nope, excepting possible bootlegs.

I love this show. I have the USR tapes (a later release with the corrected Psychic Wave). Gil Berg is a great villain and the ending was awesome.

I only saw episodes 2 and 3... this series was towards the end of what I call the 80s robot explosion when, plots were starting to take a back seat to just comming up with bigger badder mechs. Eventually they got really crappy and I think that's why the animation industry took a bit of a dive in the 80s. But this is one that was just pure fun even if it didn't have a sophisticated plot, the music and action more then made up for it. I also loved playing with the Dangaioh mech in Super Robot Wars Impact for the PS2.

nice review A7.

Ah but A7 you should at least link for all to conveniently reference the horrible butchering job that Manga committed to our beloved Dangaioh OVAs. ^_^ I've gone on and on about this on other forums for many years, but if you have it you should linky the info too.

I for one love Dangaioh OVAs and especially the character designs by Toshihiro Hirano! :o Few designs dedicated as much attention to details as he did back in the 80s and 90s. Pity he only directs now and no longer does character designs. :( Btw, the cels for the original Dangaioh are quite rare and expensive too.

The mecha designs are incredibly detailed and IMO vastly superior to EVAs. And yes the story is simplistic but for the purposes of the OVA it fit wonderfully. My only request is for them to resume the OVA series shortly after the team is lost in space, but the creative team that made the original series needs to be reunited. Although we all know that won't happen, all the more is the pity.

• 1 year later...
Looks damn good! To be honest, I never thought that they'd be able to make a fully transformable Dangaioh and actually make it look right.

Dangaioh agree's.

My pocket will have a whole in it, likes it's been punched through with the "spiral boost knuckle".

[edited for gouda engrish... cheez]

Edited by Dangaioh

Does this model come with the 4 fighters that combine together (I hope)? Doesn't matter I'll buy it because Dangaio is Old School anime goodness!!! ^_^

From what I can tell from all SHE's early development pics (from 2007) is that is WILL be the 4 fighters that combine together. In the one below you can see when they were making the cockpit portion of Pai Thunder's fighter (legs) and where it will join to Roll Kran's fighter (body).

t070406.jpg

Hot damn! The fighters look accurate and the robot looks great! Now if only I wasn't a cheap ass and refuse to pay over $200 for (almost) any toy I'd get it. It is quite a good looking toy for whoever gets it.

Yeah... sadly, knowing SHE and the complexity of this, the price'll probably be hitting in the $700+ range.

EDIT: Ah, dur, price is right there on the page.

79,800 yen. $790+

185mm tall, so around 7 inches. That's over one hundred dollars per inch.

Edited by QuinJester

**sob*** It's soo beautiful that I'm crying!!!! ^_^ I have a quick question since we are on the subject of Dangaioh. Can somebody tell me the relationship between the original Dangaioh and Dangaioh 2? I only saw the first tape and did not like it so I didn't pick up the rest of the series. If there is a link between the two, I might look for it to add to my collection. ^_^

**sob*** It's soo beautiful that I'm crying!!!! ^_^ I have a quick question since we are on the subject of Dangaioh. Can somebody tell me the relationship between the original Dangaioh and Dangaioh 2? I only saw the first tape and did not like it so I didn't pick up the rest of the series. If there is a link between the two, I might look for it to add to my collection. ^_^

The only link I know of is that Mai shows up in the later part of the 2nd series. I couldn't watch the show beyond the first episode. Really didn't feel like Dangaio to me.