Seeing the gallery reminded me that I never watched Iczer-1. I need to check that out. I have the manga somewhere and I just looked up the opening on youtube. It feels like it's in the same universe as Dangaio since it's by the same guy.

Dangaioh has nothing to so with Iczer-1; absolutely not the same universe or even an alternative universe. The only connection is the shared character designer was Toshihiro Hirano. The Iczer-1 OVAs are fantastic definitely worth watching.

Toshihiro was interviewed decades ago and revealed there is no intention to resume the original OVA storyline; he considered the story complete. As much as many of us would like the original creative team to create a new OVA series, it will not happen. They actually already tried to restart the series with the horrible G-Dangaioh. This series loosely connected the original OVA series by showing Mia sending a ESPer message warning of the Bunker invasion. But beyond that the follow-up series utterly fails on all fronts. IMO the Dangaioh OVA qualities we appreciate from the original were not showcased, namely the character designs, mecha, action and music.

Edited by Fortress_Maximus

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I saw those. They did go for cheap. I guess people aren't into Dangaio. I didn't get them because I want the characters or a full body cel of Dangaio.

I might have asked this but there was a Dangaio artbook. I own it but it's packed away somewhere. But I think the artbook is from episode 2. There are similar artbooks for Gunbuster and I think Zillion. It was a wide format artbook with I think a horizontal format. I was wondering if they made one for Dangaio episodes 1 and 3.

I found the artbook I was looking for on one of my old excel spreadsheets. It's called Dangaio 2 Creations by Movic. I'm still searching for a version with episode 1 and 3 though. I might start a topic with these artbooks as I thought they were pretty good.

I only have the small B-Club Visual Comic book for Dangaio. I used to have another book, though I forget which one it was. At least, I think it was a Dangaio book, but it also could have been a Hirano art book. I lent the book to a friend of mine that I haven't seen in years.

The only other piece of Dangaio merchandise that I own is the CD for 2 and 3. I used to have the first CD as well, but that's been lost to an ex-girlfriend that I haven't talked to or seen since we split up over a decade ago.

I read about what happened with that ending somewhere but can't find it now.

That's too bad. I really like to know the story behind ending it like that, what happened behind the scenes, etc. It's the only show that i recall doing this that wasn't outright cancelled.

• 1 month later...

I only have the small B-Club Visual Comic book for Dangaio. I used to have another book, though I forget which one it was. At least, I think it was a Dangaio book, but it also could have been a Hirano art book. I lent the book to a friend of mine that I haven't seen in years.

The only other piece of Dangaio merchandise that I own is the CD for 2 and 3. I used to have the first CD as well, but that's been lost to an ex-girlfriend that I haven't talked to or seen since we split up over a decade ago.

I have that B-Club too. You've got me thinking about what that other book might be now.

That's too bad. I really like to know the story behind ending it like that, what happened behind the scenes, etc. It's the only show that i recall doing this that wasn't outright cancelled.

I'm still trying to remember where I saw more details about that ending. If it was here, online, or in a book somewhere.

I can't wait to get that Blu-ray. I would hope this would get more interest here. Or perhaps the Blu-ray could mean there is fan interest and we could get figures of the girls. Or better / less expensive than that last release models of the ships. Still this is good as I only have my VHS versions.

• 4 months later...

Some Dangaio Blu-ray pictures from another forum. Too bad they couldn't get the last episode in HD.

http://www.fandompost.com/oldforums/showthread.php?53391-Dangaioh-OVA/page2&s=27bbaf0025ef18860d5aa947c6ee87db

It doesn't seem like there are many here that like Dangaio. Since we are getting a new Chogokin Voltron, all I need now is Dangaio, Mighty Orbots, and Ramrod from the Star Sheriffs. Then my giant robot collecting days are over.

Also if anyone was looking, there is a Dangaio Creations 1 book by Movic. Now I'm searching to see if there is one for the final episode. I still haven't dug out my Creations 2 book. I think there might be sketches from the third OVA in there. But I can't remember.

Doesn't look you'll ever stop collecting then. I don't see a snowballs chance in hell of anyone making an official Mighty Orbots. Too much of a clone of God Mars. The Bismarck has a chance, as does Dangaio as they've both had toys (popy or revoltech) made of them and are needing of an update.

• 1 month later...

Doesn't look you'll ever stop collecting then. I don't see a snowballs chance in hell of anyone making an official Mighty Orbots. Too much of a clone of God Mars. The Bismarck has a chance, as does Dangaio as they've both had toys (popy or revoltech) made of them and are needing of an update.

I saw an image of an old Mighty Orbots toy box some time ago. I'll see if I can find it again. I think it was a cancelled toy version.

I'm kind of worried about a Saber Rider Ramrod / Bismarck though. The Saber Rider Kickstarter wasn't that popular. I think the company might have something to do with that though as they were supposed to come out with the game in the past. And the Kickstarter seemed to be all over the place in their goals and platforms. I don't know how popular Bismarck is in Japan. I barely see cels for it. Although I have seen old toys and trading cards.

Dangaio seems to be popular to older fans. I can't see why they wouldn't make a Chogokin version in the future. They've made so many that I've never heard of before. I was doing some searching and saw that they put Dangaio in a Robot Wars game released in Japan. So people must like Dangaio over there. It even has the same battle music.

Speaking of music, I've been watching Iczer and there is some music in it that's almost direct from Dangaio. It's a really out there anime. I don't know what I was originally expecting. It's like a strange mix of anime robots, girls, space sci-fi, and Hellraiser. I guess I just paged through the comic when I was a kid as I didn't expect this. It's good though. Depending on the third episode, I might need an Iczer Robo. And then find a good cel of Iczer-1. That one guy with the Dangaio cels gallery had a bunch of Iczer ones too.

Edit! - Found Mighty Orbots toy box image from here.

http://www.collectiondx.com/blog_entry/destroy_all_podcasts_dx/destroy_all_podcasts_dx_special_report_the_last_days_of_kimono_my_house

post-15104-0-70880500-1473199013.jpg

I can't find anymore information though.

Edited by JetJockey

Iczer-1 is such a fun show. One of those things that ought to be awful, but gets by on sheer style.

Agreed. I finally got a hold of a dvd of iczer one a few years ago. My wife was looking at it rolling her eyes. I'm like it's really not what you think. Anyway the music alone is worth owning the dvd.

It turns out that the Iczer comic / manga I have isn't even for the OVA. No wonder Iczer was all new to me. I decided to open a topic to continue and see how many fans are here. Also, for Iczer items like artbooks and figures.

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=44122

• 1 year later...

Bump. I can't remember if these videos of the Studio Half Eye Dangaio were posted. I remember posting or someone posting that it was delicate. I was looking for reviews and to make for sure I didn't want it. I knew it was too expensive anyway. But after seeing the size and look of the ships. It's way too much for what you get. I know I posted about the lack of actual landing gear. But I guess this version is for collectors of this particular line. I'm waiting for the Soul of Chogokin version. Hopefully we'll get one next year.

This is of the black version. In another one of his assembly videos, he breaks a piece by accident.

Edited by JetJockey

• 8 months later...

Bump. Hopefully we'll get a Dangaio out of the Chogokin Action line. I found this fairly recently too.

https://archive.org/details/01HidemiNakaiCheapThrills

I never got the soundtrack for the 2nd and 3rd episodes.

On 9/6/2016 at 1:05 PM, Sandman said:

Agreed. I finally got a hold of a dvd of iczer one a few years ago. My wife was looking at it rolling her eyes. I'm like it's really not what you think. Anyway the music alone is worth owning the dvd.

On 9/6/2016 at 5:38 PM, JB0 said:

You ain't lyin' about that soundtrack. It is fabulous.

The soundtrack is in the recent Blu-ray release. And here.

https://archive.org/details/ICZER-ONEBATTLEMUSICCOLLECTION

• 1 year later...
4 minutes ago, Valkyrie Hunter D said:

Is it finally happening?! I don't know if it's gonna be a perfect transformation figure or a kit, but any Dangaioh news is good news.

Nevermind, it's gonna be a kit.:p

mo35.jpeg.jpg

Besides being a kit, it will also be very heavy on the partsforming and articulation will be kind of meh. BUT at the very least Dangaioh gets to see some love. 

• 3 years later...
3 hours ago, Test_Pilot_2 said:

Managed to get my order in at ShowZStore. While partially a partsformer, the dicast and size make this an insta-buy for me. Given the complexity of the SHE version, I dunno if they could ever do one with significant dicast without it being eleventybillion dollars.

Agreed Test_Pilot_2, just placed my preorder in as well. Don't foresee a better one coming down the pipe anytime soon in while I'm still a collector.

And for those who'd like a quick link, here you go.

https://showzstore.com/kingarts-diecastfigureseries-dfs079-dangaioh_p5524.html

Edited by claude grant