Glaug Pod- 1/100

Myersjessee

Well, I got a really nice surprise last weekend. Two new Angry Monkey models showed up. Before I get to the model let me once again tip my hat to Rob “MonkeyNugget” for his shipping and communication. Despite the distance his stuff always shows up in a timely fashion. I have never had a problem getting things from him from Japan.

Now…onto the 1/100 Glaug Pod. Some of you know this kit has been in process for a while. The sculpt had several problems and broken molds along the way. There were several times when I thought the kit was dead and would never see the light of day. I’m happy to report rumors of the kit’s demise have been greatly exaggerated. J One thing that excited me about the Glaug Pod is the fact that it is not currently available in any other kits I am aware of. I am sure there must have been a version at some time, but I have never seen one on Ebay or Yahoo Japan. This is an excellent mecha that I wanted represented in my display…so I owe Rob for coming through for me.!

First..the kit…The kit arrives sealed nicely in little bags. No instructions or decals in this version but it really doesn’t need them. I’m sure future version will come with instructions. The main bag is dominated by the body of the Glaug Pod. The first thing that will strike you is the size and weight. For a 1/100 kit it dwarfs the 1/72 Hasegawa VF1. The main body is solid resin and is thus hefty. One thing that excites me about this is the seam line will be a none issue. The main body has the only seam line I can find on any of the pieces. The seam is tiny, and nearly perfect…but because the body is solid I can simply use a seam scraper and sandpaper to completely and utterly remove it. The body has several raised panels, and fine panel lines etched around it. The edges are sharp. I was amazed to note, in all the pieces I could only find 1 single airbuble in the pieces. It is a tiny one that exists in an engine booster…which ironically appears to be extra. The fine pinpoint would be easy to patch, but I was excited to note there are not any other problems. The pieces dry fit perfectly. This kit will be easy to build! :)

The detail pieces for the Glaug Pod include all the rear engine details, and side panel pieces. These pieces fit nicely, and are also very sharp without bubbles.

You will need a 1/100 Glaug to go with it..but luckily they are readily available on Ebay if you don’t have one.

All in all I will rate this kit a 9 out of 10. The only thing I can think should be added is perhaps some decals and a color chart. The kit is a beautiful work that I am very excited to add to my collection. I will be starting a buildup in a week or two and I will be sharing my progress…it is a WONDERFUL kit.

gpod2.jpg

Edited by Myersjessee

Is that body a solid hunk of resin!?

It is in fact, which is part of the reason (Im sure) for the cost. Im actually quite glad about this...if it was pieces it would need to be fit, and all gaps filled..this way the seam just needs a little scraping and sanding and it will be perfect! :) Quick build...starting now! Pictures soon.

Hi all, been reading the boards on and off for yonks, finally pulled my finger out and joined.

THAT is a really nice bit of resin! What's it weigh though?! Yikes!

I'm not in the market for one of these, but only because I have the 1/72 Glaug and would prefer a pod for that. I've lost track of all the hints and winks around here; has anyone hinted at a 1/72 pod too or should I just go ahead and scratch my own? I hate scratching something and then a kit comes out five weeks later...:lol:

Cheers!

Martyn

Edited by Vectromat

Oh forgot to mention, Myersjessee if you mean by "appears to be extra" that there are four engine bells, don't forget one goes at the rear of the lower forward housing - there are *meant* to be four engines. Er, I know that's a pretty obvious thing to say; apologies if I'm doing the teaching/granny/eggs thing. :)

is it me or is Ali sama's picture is identical to the first picture that jesse posted up? Looks like ali sama took the picture and paiting over the original or just cut out the picture and place it in the space background. ???? :p:D:lol:

Well...dont I feel the fooll....guess I should have better checked the line art...there are four engines...my bad.

AliSama's is a CG "dress up" of Rob's picture...that is correct (or so I remember.) I dont have the weight of the kit, but I can weigh it. Currently, I have it sanded, and primed...so it should be close to acutual weight. Pictures coming...maybe this weekend.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'd really love to see some more updates on this thread.

Please keep us posted on this project.

Anyone know if there is any way to get more copies of this kit?

Not at the moment. I don't have any poured right now and I am trying to complete other projects. I may get a few more made up but the chances are very (very) slim. I am going to use what resin I have left to complete the Valkyrie Booster and the Ghost. Those will be the final projects. :(

The Glaug Booster and the Zentradi Fighter Pod will probably not be re-done again.

Rob MN

Not at the moment. I don't have any poured right now and I am trying to complete other projects. I may get a few more made up but the chances are very (very) slim. I am going to use what resin I have left to complete the Valkyrie Booster and the Ghost. Those will be the final projects. :(

The Glaug Booster and the Zentradi Fighter Pod will probably not be re-done again.

Rob MN

man...oh man...sad tidings...