batmandeadend.jpg

Batman: Dead End

Collora Studios/Level 7/Montauk Films, 2003

Not Authorized by Warner Bros. or 20th Century FOX

Directed by Sandy Collora

Batman created by Bob Kane (1915-1998)

Predator created by Jim Thomas and John Thomas

Alien created by Dan O'Bannon and Ronald Shusett

Not Rated (Suggested PG-13). Contains graphic violence and mild language.

Cast

- Clark Bartram as Bruce Wayne/Batman

- Andrew Koenig (Boner in Growing Pains) as The Joker

- Kurt Carley (Werewolf in Underworld) as Predator #1 & #4

- Jake McKinnon as the Alien

- Patrick Magee as the red Predator

- Dragon Dronet as Predator #3

Synopsis

The Dark Knight Detective once again confronts his arch-nemesis The Joker, but their reunion is rudely interrupted by some unexpected guests.

Lowdown

How long has it been since we had a decent Batman movie? After the 1997 big-budgeted bomb Batman & Robin, it seemed as if the Dark Knight's film franchise was no more. But with the announcement of an all-new film to be released next year, there is still hope for Batman on the big screen.

In the meantime, we have Batman: Dead End - an 8-minute short film by Sandy Collora, who has worked as a concept artist for films like Guyver 2: Dark Hero, Men in Black and Dogma. Instead of using the ridiculously armored variants of the four Batman films, Collora patterned this Batman after Alex Ross' retro designs. Clark Bartram may have the build of Adam West, but he plays a much better Batman than Val Kilmer and George Clooney. Andrew Koenig, however, seems a bit too young to play Joker.

And for those wishing for a live-action adaptation of the best-selling Batman vs. Predator comic, it doesn't get any closer than this. Hell, even people anticipating the upcoming Alien vs. Predator movie will want to check this out as well. The Alien looks decent, except that he's a bit overweight. The fact that he doesn't reveal his second mouth in the film is a major letdown. The Predator, on the other hand, is dead-on to the ones on the two Predator films (as Collora worked on Predator 2) - right down to the trademark claws, shoulder blaster and heat vision.

Of course, the fight between Batman and Predator is too short and it doesn't cover much battleground. The Alien is in it for only 10 seconds. But then again, keep in mind that this is a $30,000 amateur film (nearly $10,000 more than The Blair Witch Project), even with its spectacular cinematography and outstanding special effects. The film even borrows musical scores from Danny Elfman and Alan Silvestri, who composed the music for Batman and Predator, respectively.

Batman: Dead End is not perfect, but arguably the best amateur movie today. Someday, we might see an actual Batman vs. Aliens vs. Predator movie develop from this.

Rating: B

Links

Collora Studios

Reference

The Internet Music Database

Edited by areaseven

Yeah, this movie is pretty awesome considering that it's a amateur made movie. I see copies of these dvd's at frank and sons. I might pick one up one of these days. Awesome review!! :p:D:lol:

I rank this film up there with Max Payne: Hero and SW: Duality as one of the best fanfilms I've ever seen.

You're right in that the fight is too short and too contained in that one set, but considering who and how it's being made, it is nothing short of fantastic.

I strongly reccomend everyone to at least take a look at this one.

Hello! I still rank TROOPS as my alltime favourite fan film, it just does not get any better, I really enjoyed Dead End, though, I still break it out to friends every now and again.

Now on a slightly related note I have to start a thread about my alltime favourite no budget film series...

Yeah, this movie is pretty awesome considering that it's a amateur made movie. I see copies of these dvd's at frank and sons. I might pick one up one of these days. Awesome review!!  :p  :D  :lol:

I don't know if you would truly consider him an amateur. Sandy Collora works within the industry. This film was just a vie at being taken seriously at becoming a director. :unsure:

Edited by >EXO<

• 5 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...