Valkyrie Cut Away from Movie Artbook

Impreszive

i have a quick question, is there two types of engine on the plane on the schematic? and another question i have is, why are they referring to number 22 and 50 as turbine blades? as far as i know turbine blades are always located at the rear end of the engine.

The Shinnakasu/P&W/Roice FF-2001 has turbine blades and the P&W super-conducting ram air compressor in front of the FF-2001 also has its own turbine blades.

i have a quick question, is there two types of engine on the plane on the schematic? and another question i have is, why are they referring to number 22 and 50 as turbine blades? as far as i know turbine blades are always located at the rear end of the engine.

See:

http://manuals.macrossmecha.org/vf1/valkyrie_fuel.html

(includes unofficial specifications by MAT/Masahiro Chiba)

Note that the diagram has the label of "Sub Compressor/Rectification Fan"--this is because it the second turbine fan set.

Sub-compressors are still compressors. (Usually called "boost" stages and GE is fond of them, but still compressors). And all the locations and appearances still look like compressors. Especially #50. You could show that drawing to every aviation fan you find, and 100% would say it's the first stage compressor/fan and they'd all agree that's NOT what a turbine looks like. The turbines of each section would be well aft, and hidden. You could draw an arrow to where they are, it's fairly obvious on the drawing.

IMHO, it both looks like (according to the drawing) and makes sense (how jets work, regardless of whether they run off kerosene or flowers) :) that it should be:

22. Low-pressure compressor.

50. High-pressure compressor. Or booster compressor, if you want. Might be better for a "thermonuclear reaction turbine".

And then somewhere around #46, would be the actual turbine stage(s).

Edited by David Hingtgen

Sub-compressors are still compressors. (Usually called "boost" stages and GE is fond of them, but still compressors). And all the locations and appearances still look like compressors. Especially #50. You could show that drawing to every aviation fan you find, and 100% would say it's the first stage compressor/fan and they'd all agree that's NOT what a turbine looks like. The turbines of each section would be well aft, and hidden. You could draw an arrow to where they are, it's fairly obvious on the drawing.

IMHO, it both looks like (according to the drawing) and makes sense (how jets work, regardless of whether they run off kerosene or flowers) :) that it should be:

22. Low-pressure compressor.

50. High-pressure compressor. Or booster compressor, if you want. Might be better for a "thermonuclear reaction turbine".

And then somewhere around #46, would be the actual turbine stage(s).

that's what i was thinking, coz the turbine rotors drives the compressor spools. at least that's what i learned in A&P school.

See:

http://manuals.macrossmecha.org/vf1/valkyrie_fuel.html

(includes unofficial specifications by MAT/Masahiro Chiba)

Note that the diagram has the label of "Sub Compressor/Rectification Fan"--this is because it the second turbine fan set.

on the diagram, i don't see any turbine rotors. so what drives the compressors?