SD Gundam started today!

Well, being a hardcore gundam fan, I had to watch this, and it actually wasn't too bad. So i'm writing up a little review and summary, review format ripped form Areaseven.

Story: B-

I'm actually a bit surprised. It seemed like it was going to be the same old, sameold, just a TF ripoff. But I was actually pleasently surprised. First of all, the kid manages to be ditched multiple times by the Gundam! And at the end, the Gundam still tells him to forget what happenned!

Anyway, the first episode opens with a botched "Zeon" invasion. They come through a dimensional gate shaped like a Zakrello, under the pretense of freeing the oppressed workers. Unfortunately, they accidentally land their Komusai (unusual for the fact that it has a monoeye,a nd is reddish-purple) in a field. Upon realising this, Zapper Zaku (I don't think his name is reaveled yet, but it's written on the figure package..) orders his Zakus to release something. We see that the Zakus are holding Elmeth Funnels ( :) ) that emit a fog. As we zoom in, we see that the fog is actually small robotic "bugs", which are clearly none other than tiny Bigros! ( :lol: ) The bigros begin turning the field into an expanse of concrete, when the police show up. Unfortunately, the police consist of one (apparently) unarmed GM, speaking through a loudspeaker mounted in a Ball! The Zakus draw their guns and begin firing on the GM and Ball. Meanwhile, the Bigro iunsects have spotted the kid (who has some odd name, like gunner or something), who had seen the Komusai come down, and form into one huge Bigro-shaped cloud! They are about to pave over the kid, and the zakus are still beating the GM, when, sudennly, they're saved by none other than a tricked out Gundam! He shows up and orders the Zakus to put down their weapons, repeatedly announcing that he has been issued a special permit to carry a Beam Rifle. In response, Zapper Zaku calls a strike, through the "Zaukrello Gate", from the Musai. It fires, but the Gundam shoots the beam, and breaks it apart, than absorbs the blast, saving the kid in the process. The Gundam disappears, and the Zakus leave, with only a smoking crater for evidence. Shoot heads home, thinking no one will believe him.

When he arrives home, he is tasked with amusing his baby sister, which he does by telling het the story of the preceeding events. Down the hill from the house is his workshop (why do kids in anime and american quasi-anime get their own workshops? I want a workshop! :lol: ). He notices that the roof has a hole in it. His mom soon arrives,a nd he passes over the baby, and runs down to the workshop. Rather predictably, the Gundam is lying, unconsious, in his workshop. Shoot desides to fix the gundam, but he has no success. He finally notices a copy of sleeping beauty sitting around, and decides to give that method a try. As his face nears the gundam, the gunda, of course starts to light up. His chest opens and turns around, revealing a floating sphere with a flame inside. It closes, and a few minuites later, the Gundam wakes up. It thanks Shoot, but says it can't tell anything about itself, because it's classified. He leaves, forgetting his shield.

Cut to an industrial area in the city. Ground type GMs and 08th MST balls (orange, like construction workers, get it?) are working in what seems to be a large trench. Zapper Zaku's forces arrive,and annouce their intentions to ferr the workers. Seconds later,though, he orders his horde of Zakus to open fire!. Of course, the Gundam shows up, and starts to fight the Zakus back. Meanwhile, Shoot notices that the Gundam's shield is left in his workshop. He decides to find the Gundam and return it. Back at the battle, the gundam, who is without his Shield and rifle, which was destroyed by the musais blast earlier, runs out of ammo in his arm cannons, and begins to take fire from the Zaku. Shoot, skating on futuristic roller blades (*groan*), with the shield strapped on his back, sees the explosions and goes over to help. Upon finding the enterance to the area locked, he uses a rocket booser on his "blades" (controlled by his cell phone) to fly up and skate along a pipe. As the gundam wonders what happenned to his shield, he spost Shoot, who unties the shield, sending it flying to the Gundam. The gundam equips the shield and begins spinning it, which starts to generat some force. We cut to a command center, where we see a uniformed officer ovserving the battle (from the neck down, we don't see his head, yet). He excitedly announces that the Soul Drive has activated, and we see the previously mentioned sphere fill with flame. The gundams other hand begins to glow. The musai attempts to shoot the Gundam through the Zakurello Gate again, but the shot is stopped by the gundam, who then deflects it at the Komusai. As the enimies retreat, a group of Gunperrys shows up, but they have theit wings folded and are driveing like cars. They open, and a whole platoon of GM Sniper Custom IIs disembark.

It's now early morning, and the mop up is complete. The Gundam surveys the lined up, at attention, Snipers. He thanks Shoot again, and tells him to leave. Gunner gets angry that that's it, and that nothing will come of it. He doesn't even know the Gundam's name!. The gundam finally gives Gunner his name, Cpt. Gundam! That's right, he's not the "Captain Gundam", he's named Gundam and his rank is captain!. The episode ends with that, and in the corner we see a trio of Zaks Chant "Zako Zako Zako!!!"

So the story, and the writing overall, was not only bearable, it was actually a bit enjoyable, and original, too.

Animation: A

SD Gundam has to be the best looking Cel Shading I've ever seen.

The character and mecha design is pretty good, although the main character is wierd looking, some of the more orthodox ones were pretty well done. And Captain Gundam and Zapper Zaku are also cool looking.

Cast:

Can't find any info!

The bottom line:

This series is neither the serious story of the real Gundam Series, and is neither the hilarity of the original SD series. It's a relatively serious show, but still quite a bit kiddy. The real comedy is there, but exists mostly in the fact that so many inside gundam jokes, and funny "castings" of popular and Obscure MS and MA alike, are present.

Try to tune in at least once, the show's not nearly as bad as I expected. If you're a Gundam freak, you may end up watching more.

Commander McBride, out.

Edited by Commander McBride

i tried to watch it, but it was too kiddified for me, i couldn't sit through the whole thing. so i flipped away several times. the tie ins to MSG and the UC ovas via the side characters and the zaku army were thoroughly enjoyable, but the stupid kid and the gundam were decidedly annoying. no doubt it will get worse as the other gundam heros are introduced, and as the rest of the hero's appear to be from wing and G gundam i'm definitely planning on giving the whole thing a pass. but thank god i missed the mouth on the gundam.

*Sniffle* I didn't realize it was to start today! :( At least I won't miss episode 2, VCR's all set! :D

I've already picked up a few of the figures (Captain Gundam and Zapper Zaku) and they are definitely a change of pace over the regular Gundam figures. Guess I'll see if SD's entertaining or not (Zeta's what I'm anxious to see!).

yup. it's a pretty kewl new show. definitely kiddy, but still kewl.

I think the mechas are gonna be mixed UC and AC variations. The zakus are the old uc-types and capt.gundam looks like some sort of gp-01.

The trailers show alot of ac-type gundams, tho.

The animation and art were great. The kid was alot more tolerable than the corny kids from TF-Armada.

long live chibi-gundams!

I guess I have to set the timer and tape it once or twice and give it a shot. Quick humor at the very least.

there's two of those crazy shows?? that's even worse! (personally, i like gundam a lot, but watchin the previews on CN kinda make me not want to watch it, the SD version, i mean)

The original SD Gundam is a master piece of comedy. It features all the original voice actors and MSs.

This SD Gundam is a hack made for the American audience. <_<

there's two of those crazy shows?? that's even worse! (personally, i like gundam a lot, but watchin the previews on CN kinda make me not want to watch it, the SD version, i mean)

The original SD Gundam is a master piece of comedy. It features all the original voice actors and MSs.

and that's a problem because...?

I do wish the original SD-Gundam gets released here. Comedic-value and all.

Its not a problem at all..... beyong the fact that this new show is dumb at best.

But then again... I'm just 1 person, and thats just my opinion. <_<

Its not a problem at all..... beyong the fact that this new show is dumb at best.

But then again... I'm just 1 person, and thats just my opinion. <_<

err, so you just have a problem with it, then? ;)

----

You never know. If the Superior Defender will make enough sales here, it might just justify the US release of the original SD-Gundams. Just like the upcoming Zeta-release next year or so.

--treatment--

[err, so you just have a problem with it, then? ;)

----

You never know. If the Superior Defender will make enough sales here, it might just justify the US release of the original SD-Gundams. Just like the upcoming Zeta-release next year or so.

--treatment--

I don't really have a problem with it because I' m not forced to watch the entire series.... just the first episode was enough to show me that I should steer clear of it... so no problem with it at all. ;)

As for SD Gundam being released in the US.... now that would be something I would like to see. My damn VHS tapes are getting too damn old. :lol:

I yet to make a judgement on SD after I watch it if I ever get a chance too (I rarely watch CN at all. Too many badly dubbed Anime on their Toonami block I actually like that psudo Anime-Archie Comics toon, Totaly Spies that was picked up from ABC/FOX family better but that's just me.). The review somewhat piqed my intrest. It's coming up next, episode three I believe.

~G25

Edited by gerwalk25

I watched it today, it was interesting...I like the Zakus, they are kind of funny. The animation is pretty fantastic to some degree, and awful at other times. I can't stand the kids. No gundam should have a mouth...

It was a crack show for the most part, just like how Hamtaro is a crack show. Its okay but not worth a second viewing, I guess I'm finally out of touch with todays kids.

Hey! How could you dislike a show in which a Gouf hijacks a huge swan and tries to step on a gundam?

Anyway, todays episode introduces Shoot's friend Sayla (where have I heard that before> :p ), Grappler Gouf, and Zero the Winged Knight. Strangely, Zero is identified as a guy, and acts like one, but clearly speaks in a woman's voice. Future plot point?

And, BTW, this show probably would be pretty good on drugs. (or so I hear, never done any myself). But watching it already is like being stoned, anyway....

You know, one really interesting thing about this show is that while the major MS are the new-style SD, the Zakus are the old, legless, kind.

And, BTW, this show probably would be pretty good on drugs. (or so I hear, never done any myself). But watching it already is like being stoned, anyway....

It wouldn't hurt watching SD with a 5th of Jack :lol::huh::p. Damn, I actually missed it today but I did see the toys at the local music friendly Wal-Mart. The mini figs look pretty nifty I wouldn't mind an SD Tallgeese on my desktop.

~G25