Southern Cross Battloids

Figured I would share this with y'all since Im not the ONLY Southern Cross fan here.

ZorMaster dug up 2 fantastic scans of this that show the different branches of the Tactical Corps from Southern Cross in their arming doublets (with each rank represented) and a sketch of the associated Officer's Model Battloid for the unit. What makes this interesting is the fact that the Cities Defense Unit is shown with an entirely DIFFERENT mecha than we have been lead to believe as belonging to them for the better part of a decade and a half.

Those of you that remember the horrid Robotech Art 1 had a mecha listed as the NonCombat Bioroid Worker listed which was in fact a Southern Cross Battloid. Most of us believed that this was the Unicorn (which is seen in the closing credits of every episode of Robotech....its a green battloid). It turns out that this is in fact the Marsh Division Triton (which was long assumed to have never been sketched as it only has a 1 line mention in TIAS #10).

The "new" Unicorn in fact bears a visual similarity to the Spartas in Battle Sniper/Battloid mode. It has a look that is somewhat heavy I would guess, though that could be perspective. Kinda looks like someone used a wrestler as the model for a mecha.

Also of interest is the only design sketch known of the Forest Division Dryad Battloid. Tim Wing, who rendered one for the RRG, had to use a picture of the model seen in the back of TIAS #10.

Anyway, here are the links to the pics (2), and thanks to Zor Master once again as well as rtsurfer for putting them on magicbicycle.net.

SC Mecha 1

SC Mecha 2

Edited by 1st Border Red Devil

Could someone deface those scans with some translations? So much effort was put into S.C.s background, its a shame for those who can't read Japanese to miss out on all these wonderful details....

Can you tell me where they found these scans?

Scans from "Magazine for Anime and Hobby Fans". Ive never heard of this magazine.....but I am now adding it to my list of must acquire resources for SC. I know Rob Morgenstern acquired a copy as well (have to see if he has a scan of the mag cover) and listed these as well.....however, he said that he has seen both the Triton and Unicorn listed as the other....however, I am begining to lean heavily toward the Unicorn shown in this article as the being the genuine article. The feet on the Unicorn here look like they are built for urban terrain, while the Triton has a wide foot that would appear to be better suited to wet environs.

All the credit must go to Zor Master, Rob Morgenstern and rtsurfer over at the RDF HQ Message Board....especially to Zor Master. However, I too am very pleased with this and will probably comb through the TV series to see if any of these mecha make an appearance that was beforehand not recognized. I now know what to look for.

There is one fuzzy picture of the closing credits that I am going to look at more carefully when I get the Southern Cross boxed set, since the perspective is a little better and the image will be inifinitely cleaner. Rob has the Triton in the foreground highlighted (it appears to be carrying a gun pod)....but its the image all the way in the back right corner behind the GMP Golem and other MAS Triton....and for the life of me it appears to have the same general shape as the CDU Unicorn and Spartas...what almost could look like chest plates on the front of the mecha.

Closing Credits Triton Hightlight

This is definitely going to need more looking into.

God...

I just noticed something else about the spread with the Bioroids on it. What looks like an Assault Corvette/Bioroid Transport isnt one....it has no launch bays for Bioroids, lacks the upper deck cockpit and most of the weapons pods carried on the Corvette. It might be the smaller "fighter" variant seen briefly in eps. 3: Star Angel (Robotech eps. 40: Volunteers)