Sexy Commando Gaiden: Sugoi-yo! Masaru-san

areaseven

masaru.jpg

Sexy Commando Gaiden: Sugoi-yo! Masaru-san ( セクシーコマンドー外伝 すごいよ!マサルさん )

Magic Bus/TBS/Bandai Visual, 1998

U.S. Distributor Pending.

Directed by Akitaro Daichi (Now and Then, Here and There, Fruits Basket).

Not Rated (Suggested 16-Up). Contains graphic violence, suggestive sexual situations, suggestive drug use and profanity.

Based on the manga by Kyosuke Usuta. Okometsubu Fujiyama just transferred to a new high school, hoping to fulfill his goal of making 100 friends. Unfortunately, that won't happen any time soon when he meets Masaru Hananakajima, master of the "Sexy Commando" style of martial arts. After making friends with Fujiyama (now nicknamed "Fuumin"), Masaru forms the Sexy Commando club, whose popularity skyrockets with all these weirdos coming out of nowhere.

Story: B-

I pointed out on the warning above that Sexy Commando contains suggestive drug use. Not because there are scenes of students taking drugs (which, fortunately, does not happen), but because whoever came up with this story must be smoking some serious crack. There is no actual plot or any sign of character development, but if you're into shows that rely heavily on fart jokes or comedy that literally fries your brain, Sexy Commando is your cup of tea.

Animation: D-

Not too long ago, I mentioned that even the worst anime could not compare to Robotech II: The Sentinels when it comes to piss-poor animation quality. Well, Sexy Commando nearly stepped into that same territory with its sloppy character designs and equally messy animation. It's so bad, I don't know how many beers it'll take to make it look better.

Soundtrack: B

Who cares about the BGM? You got J-Rock band Penicillin, and that's all you need.

Cast

Sexy Commando Gaiden features Yuji Ueda (Keitaro in Love Hina, Nanbara in Hand Maid May) as Masaru, Junichi Kanemaru (Sonic X) as Fuumin, Hiroko Konishi (Jubei-Chan, Nene in Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040) as Moe-Moe, Kazuya Ichijo (Ken in Street Fighter Alpha: The Movie) as Machahiko, Yuichi Nagashima (Jaken in Inu-Yasha) as Kyasharin, Omi Minami (Hyatt in Excel Saga, Ruri in Martian Successor Nadesico) as Meso, Yuri Amano (Kiyone in Tenchi Muyo!, Rain in Mobile Fighter G-Gundam) as Dr. Mariko, and Kazuhiko Inoue (Cyborg 009, Mamoru in Blue Seed) as Principal Susan.

The Bottom Line

If you thought Excel Saga or FLCL were demented anime, they can barely compare to Sexy Commando. Despite the horrible animation, I'm not declaring this title as bad anime because I actually find it amusing.

Links

TBS' Official Sexy Commando Homepage (Japanese)

Reference

Anime News Network

Edited by areaseven

Sugoi yo! Masaru-san is an awesome show. It's utterly insane, and yet for some bizarre reason makes sense on some non-thinking level (don't try thinking about it). Fun, fun show. I suddenly feel the need to finally break down and pick up the DVDs (only three volumes, thankfully).

Just to nitpick the review a bit, the anime is pretty much a one for one following of the the manga, so the complaints about the design problems being caused by poor animation aren't really true. Also, I could have sworn that Sakurai (Di Gi Charat and Akihabara Den no Gumi) directed the show.

I was disappointed in how utterly stupid it was. His fighting skill is drop his pants and walk like a girl!

After watching one ep I was holding my head.. I don't think I laughed one time within that 20 min period. (was it 20 min? felt like it and possibly longer if it wasn't)

Mostly just wondered why I was toturing myself. Their voices even got on my nerves and this isn't because I have to serious anime, hell I liked Hand Maid May, but this was just ridiculous.

Edited by Backstabber

I was disappointed in how utterly stupid it was. His fighting skill is drop his pants and walk like a girl!

After watching one ep I was holding my head.. I don't think I laughed one time within that 20 min period. (was it 20 min? felt like it and possibly longer if it wasn't)

Mostly just wondered why I was toturing myself. Their voices even got on my nerves and this isn't because I have to serious anime, hell I liked Hand Maid May, but this was just ridiculous.

The sexy commando style isn't just about dropping ones pants and waddling like a bird. Basically, all fighting comes down to waiting for the moment when your opponent lets his guard down and taking advantage of it. But sexy commando is different. In sexy commando, you don't wait for an opening; you create one by putting your opponent off guard through distraction. Of course, had you bothered to give the show half a chance and watch the next couple of episodes, this would have been explained to you. Even if it isn't to your taste, utterly stupid it is not.

Oh, and the episodes are only eight minutes long.

Actually it was explained how the style worked in the first episode and I still don't care fot it! To each their own! B)

8 mins...really!? seemed longer! :p

Oops. Yeah, forgot that he did give a brief explanation there. I was thinking of the detailed one later. Sad because I helped fansub the first volume of the series and have seen that episode probably more times than what's healthy.

Masaru San is /the/ funniest show out there. It is absolutely hilarious in every concievable way, although you'd have to love a very specific type of humor in order to enjoy it. Its definitely not standup comedy. It is full of the most crazy hilariousness to ever grace the world of animation.

Most people who think theyre going to watch something "cool" or "meaningful", or something with a shred of sanity, will be utterly completely dissapointed. And its animation is fine, it would be retarded to give a show that insane nice animation. What would be the point? None of the jokes require nice animation to be funny anyways. People are too hung up on animation these days. If I ever have a kid, and he refuses to watch something because of the "bad animation", im going to say "Your going to watch Xabungle, /and your going to like it!!!/", and I betcha he would. To poo with animation. Xabungle and Masaru San are two prime examples of shows not /needing/ good animation to be awesome.

-BEN-MAN-