what attracted you to macross?

Shinguuji

Saw the series way back in the mid 1980's. I am a sucker from war stories, grand epics, science-fiction, good characters, worthwhile plots, and love stories...Macross fit all of that and how! It's easily one of the best science fiction tales I've ever read and has been key to the formation of my appreciation for anime and sci-fi.

The rest is just an extension of that affinity for Macross. Yes, many of the CDs, books, and Yamatos have allowed me to indulge in more great Macross. However, the original concepts of great storytelling keep me coming back.

It's all about the MECHA!!! Then the characters... Don't forget Shinguuji, Roy and Claudia had Aegis.

but they still could have got married, heck, max and milia got married after ONE date, and she tried to kill him on that date....at least claudia could have been a 'proper widow', or perhaps roy thought that since he'll die anyday, best not to leave a widow, but he should have known that claudia would act like one after he died since they were so close anyway.....

anyway...wow....most of you seen RT/Mac TV even before i was born....my generation only goes for eye-candy and ignore the shows with real substance...like macross or sakura wars....

....at least claudia could have been a 'proper widow', or perhaps roy thought that since he'll die anyday, best not to leave a widow, but he should have known that claudia would act like one after he died since they were so close anyway.....

Damn...you made me all misty-eyed. :(

Anyways, the SDF-1 itself attracted me to Macross. The story and characters have kept me a fan. Besides, Macross has some of the coolest flying stage props to boot. :)

The VF-1 Valkyrie. As far back as I can recall, I have always had dreams of being able to just look up into the sky and take off like a bird, then return to the mundane later. When I first saw the multi-mode Valkyrie, I was in complete rapture.

-Oh, and the stories are good also...

What attracted me to Macross? The VF-1 resembling my fav. aircraft, the F-14, the fact that it could transform into a robot, the war and chaos! Then I discovered the love triangles, characters and plots.... Macross 0wnz me...!

Macross (well Robotech) was the first anime related series I watched. When I was a freshman in college, my roommate pointed out to me the differences in Macross and the Robotech series. Needless to say, I was a bigger fan of Macross. I've always enjoyed the Valkyrie design. It is still my favorite Mecha of all time. if I could have one fantasy, it would be a Strike Valkyrie. I also like Millia. She's my favorite character. It's the green hair.

BTW

First Post here!

Hello everyone! :ph34r::ph34r:

Everyone fell in love with the VF-1... I wonder if a different VF had been in SDF-Macross would it be as popular?

Probably, nostalgia is a powerful thing. Personally, the VF-1 is my second favourite Valkyrie (next to the VF-4 Lightning III), and I don't even know if it's because it's really such a great design, or just because it was the first. I mean, it definitely is a great design, but so are the YF-19, the VF-11, and many other Valkyries.

It probably helps that I was always a huge fan of the F-14 and the F-15, and the VF-1 bares a strong resemblance to both.

Everyone fell in love with the VF-1... I wonder if a different VF had been in SDF-Macross would it be as popular?

Probably, nostalgia is a powerful thing. Personally, the VF-1 is my second favourite Valkyrie (next to the VF-4 Lightning III), and I don't even know if it's because it's really such a great design, or just because it was the first. I mean, it definitely is a great design, but so are the YF-19, the VF-11, and many other Valkyries.

It probably helps that I was always a huge fan of the F-14 and the F-15, and the VF-1 bares a strong resemblance to both.

I think its all due to the awesomeness of the VF-1... If the show had started with like the 19 or something, it would not have been as popular.

Probably not... if you look at the preliminary designs they were just hideous. I'm glad they kept working on it. It would have been amazing if they would have reached the point they were at during DYRL?. But given the budget limitation it would have never really mattered.

Edited by >EXO<

It all begain innocently enought when I got a Jetfire for Christmas. It was the coolest toy bar none back then, just total awesomness B)) . Then someone mentioned to me that the toy was actually from the show Robotech, not Transformers. Happened to catch the show a couple times, pretty cool with all the valks and stuff, but it didn't hook me in right away, but the show and more so the valks stuck with me in the back of mind.

Fast-forward to freshman year in college 1999 and the wonders of high-speed internet in the dorm. Begin to scope internet and ebay especially for Jetfires. Find all episodes of Robotech, downloaded them and actually watch the series. Was just enthralled by the overall story of love and war. Reba West's singing almost killed it for me halfway throught the series though :angry: .

After doing more searching about Robotech, kept seeing Macross come up and wondering what is this? :blink: Leads me to this and other such related sites and from there on I find out about SDF Macross being the original. Afterwards, end up buying entire Animeago Set of SDF Macross and DYRL as well as a Yammie 1/48 Low-Vis plus Fast-Packs Summer 2003 (My Summer of Macross :p ). Found the story more to flow much better in Macross than Robotech, found Minmay less annoying, her singing 1 million times better!!! They story really hooked me from Episode 1 and after buying and watching Macross Plus and Macross 7, here I am eagerly anticipating Episode 4 of Macross Zero

Probably not... if you look at the preliminary designs they were just hideous. I'm glad they kept working on it. It would have been amazing if they would have reached the point they were at during DYRL?. But given the budget limitation it would have never really mattered.

You are probably right. Those prelim designs did certainly suck.

1) the F14 look-a-like planes that can transform into big robots,

2) the spaceship look-a-like fortress can also transform into a even bigger robot,

3) kissing makes giants shock & treble

4) the insane amount giant enemy ships surrounding earth

5) one green hair lady fighting the blue hair guy from space to arcade to knife sparring in a park then get married & gives birth to a girl & causes panic to female giants

That's what caught my interest when it was shown on the TV, the original Macross TV series sometime in the mid 80's while i was about 10. B))

6) then got a toy plane (VF-1) similar to chunky-monkey but smaller than the 1/55

& the next thing i know, I'm hooked till now :D

At first it was the Valkyries and the Destroids. I Also like the Zentraudi Mecha. After about a dozen epidodes or more I got into the characters and their development as the show progressed. By the end I was really hoping Rick/Hikuru would pick Lisa/Misa over Minmae :)

Edited by Aurora-7

BLOOD!!!!!!!!!!!

being a child of the 70's and having watched for years america's special forces fight the worlds worst terrorist group, with neither side being able to hit the broad side of a barn from the inside with the doors closed while using a fully autiomatic gun... I felt there was something lacking

I saw robotech and I saw blood and death! Not that I am a socially unadjusted individual who tortures squirrles or anything... I just liked the fact that robotech had an element of "realism" I hadn't come across in cartoons at that time.

The fact that jetfire appeared more in one episode of robotech than in all the transformer episodes combinded helped a lot to :rolleyes:

anyhow.. being a hick at that time of my life [we bought sweet corn from our amish neighbors so you know I didn't have cable] I had no option but to wait till information was spead quickly and cheaply across the globe and I could dig deeper in to the mystery of why mac plus made no sense what-so-ever as a sequal to robotech :rolleyes:

Like most of you, I got introduced to Macross through watching RT, I was quite impressed in the realism of the story which included the issues of death and war as well as the strong character development. Not forgetting the transforming military aircraft, that really appeal to me. Back then, I also compared it to the TV cartoons and find cartoons more suitable for children and less complex. When I found out that Robotech was actually adapted from Macross, I went searching for materials of original Macross. I went to such a extent that I even bought a few VHS tapes Chinese dubbed and bought the original strike VF-1S from Bandai. Since then, I was interested in Japanese anime and also a big fan of Gundam. Surprisingly I am not a fan of TF. ;)

Well the long story here:

in 1984, I was watching Transformers and the introduction of Skyfire espisode came on. At that point I wanted to get Skyfire. Later that year did I find out that Skyfire became Jetfire. My parents never bought it. You have to know that I was into GI JOE and transformers. So I had a lot of different toys from both worlds. I played with my friend's jetfire. Now I begged like hell for that toy. Why my parents never bought it, I will never know because they bought plenty of Transformers and GI JOE toys that we wanted. Go figure. One day after school at 3PM, I was flipping channels waiting for GI Joe at 4PM. I saw on Channel 36 (in Atlanta) I saw the commercial for what I will come to know as Robotech. Now I saw all these brown VFs and it immediately clicked in my head that hey, that is Jetfire in differnt colors. I was like WTF :o without the F or H since I didnt know those words well enough to use. ;) I was youngun'.

Anyways, I saw the show. It showed the episode 2. At that point I was like :huh: and :blink:. So I started watching it more. It jumped around here and there. When I saw the Masters, I was like WTF and even more WTFH with New Generation. I never knew that these were 3 different series only to be bastardized as one by us stupid Americans. I wanted to get the toys but I was a little late in getting them. At the time I was in 5th and 6th grade. I slowly began to understand the episodes as Robotech. During the Xmas of 1986, (I think) I was in Hong Kong and I saw ads for the DYRL. I went to go watch it dubbed in Chinese with English subtitles. I was like :blink: because I was confused about the Robotech series.

I didnt have many toys of Robotech. I slowly bought one here and there especially when I was in college at Georgia Tech. I ran into people who were fans of robotech as I was but that soon went away. Only till 2 yrs ago did the passion of Robotech come up. I was on RT.com. I ordered DVDs. And then the preorders for the MPC #1. Now I bought the DRYL 1/60 yammies. I started understand the difference between Robotech and Macross/Southern Cross/Mospeda. Then the disaapointment of the MPC#1. I kept it because it was fully transformable unlike the 1/60. Now in Sept 2003, I saw this Low vis fighter. I have been to this site but never signed on. I knew about the 1/48s but I thought they were too expensive. I got my MPCs below MSRP via ebay. RT.com pissed me off when I complained about the MPCs. Now I decide to go ahead and buy the Low vis on ebay. When I got it, I was completely enthralled. Only then did I dig deeper on the difference on Macross and Robotech. So I got 2nd Low vis. And then I bought the SDF Macross DVDs. Only did I start watching the DVD did I have a better understanding. I promptly rejected Robotech and became a Macross purist. Of course my 1/48 collection grows. From Sept 03 till now, my 1/48 yammies collection is at 15. This month's plan is gonna be real bad. Ask Tam and Kevin. :ph34r:

And that is my story. B))