Requests

Kurt

What are some of the "how to's" do people want to see. Rather than building a model step by step and posting it here is there anything specific that people want to know. There have been such great information from members such as wm cheng and others, that if I were to post an entire build I would be repeating alot of what they have already explained. Let me hear your requests and I will post those when I get to that point on whatever I am building. And does it really have to be Macross if I am just describing a technique? Let us know.

IMO..

I think this thread would rock with nice HOW-TO's on valks people usually model out. I.E. a vf-1 a/s/d hase valk battroid, vf-1 fighter, etc.

hase 19, hase 21, etc

i mean.. for those who are either modeling a new VF , they can grab a trick or two on that specific valk, while others experience the HOW-TO's help and can decide wich valk to start with, and/or learn the basic 'till they turn model experts.

but that is just me..

Oh yeah .. forgot about this one: modeling customization as well!

I remember people making a hasegawa valk variable. even the yf-19. I mean.. those are the kinds of topics we could all share around these tips and tweaks...

Edited by Lucifer

Well I'm pretty new to building models, but my love for Macross is strong and I really don't want my Hasegawa Super Valk looking like total crap so what I wanna know is 'how to' do washes on the panel lines. I see that a lot of you guys know how but since I'm new I am totally clueless about how the wash is done and what materials are needed.... Would someone be kind enough to help the new guy out a bit?

Now that I have a digital camera that isn't geriatric, I've been taking photos of everything I'm working on step by step. From painting a 1/144 power armor [an endevor I lost motivation to finish after seeing I had nothing to offer compared to a cockpit!], to the 1/100 variables and toy repair walk throughs. I figure I can post em on my in dire need of content site and put links here. Granted... I'm actually gonna have to finish something first LOL.

I wouldn't mind if Kid did a walkthrough the next time he makes removable armor for the 1/100 die-casts, a project that stumped me at the arm armor :unsure:

And while there have been many painting tips and guides, I just love when I find a walkthrough that partially matches a color scheme I wanted to do.

Now that I have a digital camera that isn't geriatric, I've been taking photos of everything I'm working on step by step. From painting a 1/144 power armor [an endevor I lost motivation to finish after seeing I had nothing to offer compared to a cockpit!], to the 1/100 variables and toy repair walk throughs. I figure I can post em on my in dire need of content site and put links here. Granted... I'm actually gonna have to finish something first LOL.

I'd love to see them Kanata, post them up when you finish.

More stuff on the "basics". I can decal with the best of them, but filling seams is the bane of my existence. (And I'm not fond of painting or gluing either, in that order) Washes/panelling/detailing are all secondary to simply building the kit itself nicely out of the box.

bigkid24 - The white areas on the Gundam where first Pre-shaded, then the white was painted on. Then a several washes were applied followed up with drybrushing. As a final touch I use pastel chalk to obtain a few effects.

David Hinggen - I will put together a description on how I hide seam lines. It is very similar to wm cheng's technique.

bigkid24 - The white areas on the Gundam where first Pre-shaded, then the white was painted on. Then a several washes were applied followed up with drybrushing. As a final touch I use pastel chalk to obtain a few effects.

Can you explain pre-shading when you get the time? I've read articles on most of those techniques except for pre-shading. I think Seichii at the MW con mentioned that's what he did too. It looks like a very effect technique.

Hi

What i'd like to see would be any small troubles bits and bobs on kits that people have expienced and the way they got round them.

eg. with this VF-19S bandi kit i'm fixing up at the min there are one or 2 small things that i gotta fiqure out that r just 'unique problems' i spose you could call them to that kit.

also like with my old VT-1 there was an inside bit that i didnt paint that you could see from the out side so that could be some thing for other people to look out for when making that model.

oh yeah and things like wm chengs pointer about the vf-1 legs and painting the insides, look at Gunner X's VF-1J, the top of page 2 (lookin kool man, cant wait to see it all painted up)

er.. what else...

yeah those hasegawa vf-1 battlroid (robot mode (soz i cant spell and i'm too tired to look it up properly)) how to's would be really nice to see

any rareish models some one is making up, like Less than Super ostrich's VF-4 he's makin up at the moment (lookin good, cant wait to see the next step)

with customing i'd really like to see people's ideas about paint scheme's either ideas or implemented onto a model (soz if i spelt that wrong)

any guys who know how to use photoshop well could even take a picture of a model that some1 has made up and tamper about with the colors and things to make up a new idea or even some one elses color sceme that they were thinking off but wasn't too sure how it would look on the actual model? if u get what i mean

er.. what else...

alternitive materials that people use would be kool too

and yeah just people bouncing ideas of how to do things would be really kool!

er.. if i think any more i'll post later heh, but yeah what do u guys reckon?

-Tage :)

edit: eep, soz for the long post but i have been away for a while and this is my first post on these new forums so nuh :p

Edited by Tage

bigkid24  -  The white areas on the Gundam where first Pre-shaded, then the white was painted on.  Then a several washes were applied followed up with drybrushing.  As a final touch I use pastel chalk to obtain a few effects.

Can you explain pre-shading when you get the time? I've read articles on most of those techniques except for pre-shading. I think Seichii at the MW con mentioned that's what he did too. It looks like a very effect technique.

pre-shading, as I know it, is basically doing a wash or two after you prime it and then doing repeated thin coats with an airbrush or multiple dry-brushing sessions, depending on your preference, gradually lightening the paint to give it a smooth shade transition. It's how I'm doing the violator valk. I still have a few more painting sessions on it before I'm done but pics aplenty will go up so you can get an idea of how a retard does it :lol:

Something I would love to see again is a diorama someone posted a long time ago using a super posable in a post war setting where the abandoned battroid was being used as a diving platform in a swimming hole. The detail was amazing. Wish I knew how did it or that I had thought to save the pic. :blink:

Hey Gubaba,

I did a VE-1 some time ago where the gears are up and outlined the steps to modify the Hasegawa kit to have the gear doors closed - its the same steps for all the Hasegawa Valkyries. The forward gears are on the bottom of page 1 and the rear gears are somewhere down on page 7. Good luck.

http://www.macrossworld.com/cgi-bin/mwf/ik...ct=ST;f=20;t=33

bigkid24 - Everyone has their own technique for pre-shading. Pre-shading means that you shade all of the shadow areas of the model before you apply the main color. Most people people suggest using a darker mix of the main color, I like to use a very dark grey or even straight black regardless of the intended color of the model. I used black on that Gundam model even though I was using pure white as my main color. I found that using black to pre-shade you can tone down the contrast to your liking when applying the main color. This also saves time because I can pre-shade an entire model without considering what the color will end up being for each area. However a word of warning. If the main color is dark, like a dark blue or grey, I have found that the pre-shading tends to get lost when applying that color. That is when it is necessary to post-shade, meaning to shade after painting the main color. I will also use this time to go over any areas that I toned down to much and add more shadow. I also like to post shade in select areas with pastel chalk. I have actually post shaded entire models with chalk and had excellent results. But I really like to use a mixture of all three in addition to the usual washes.

Hey Gubaba,

I did a VE-1 some time ago where the gears are up and outlined the steps to modify the Hasegawa kit to have the gear doors closed - its the same steps for all the Hasegawa Valkyries. The forward gears are on the bottom of page 1 and the rear gears are somewhere down on page 7. Good luck.

http://www.macrossworld.com/cgi-bin/mwf/ik...ct=ST;f=20;t=33

Thanks! That helps quite a bit...and that's a beautiful Valk, by the way...