Ace Combat 5

I do, and oh man... Let me tell you, letting go of it is hard to do. Either because it's so fun, or because I've been playing it so much that my hands can't take any other form than the stick's... :D Either way it's great, if you've got the cash, get it.

Edited by Shmitty

The game sounds pretty good overall, I'm anxious to play it, though it won't happen till about Christmas time for me :( (brother has PS2 on the opposite coast Me=CA, him=NJ) but I can wait. I hope by then the AC5 Flightstick package is still around, I think I'll be picking that up, well, depending on the price though. Question, can the stick be used with AC4? How about being able to possibly plug it into and use on the computer?

The game sounds pretty good overall, I'm anxious to play it, though it won't happen till about Christmas time for me :( (brother has PS2 on the opposite coast Me=CA, him=NJ) but I can wait.  I hope by then the AC5 Flightstick package is still around, I think I'll be picking that up, well, depending on the price though.  Question, can the stick be used with AC4?  How about being able to possibly plug it into and use on the computer?

It works with AC04. Tried it and it works...haven't tried it with AFDS but I recall the NCS stated that the import Flightstick worked with the import AFDS...

Edited by Gaijin

The game sounds pretty good overall, I'm anxious to play it, though it won't happen till about Christmas time for me :( (brother has PS2 on the opposite coast Me=CA, him=NJ) but I can wait.  I hope by then the AC5 Flightstick package is still around, I think I'll be picking that up, well, depending on the price though.  Question, can the stick be used with AC4?  How about being able to possibly plug it into and use on the computer?

It works with AC04. Tried it and it works...haven't tried it with AFDS but I recall the NCS stated that the import Flightstick worked with the import AFDS...

Works with PCs, too. Check out the forums at AceCombat.net for links to the drivers.

:p I'll try and remember to pick up AC4 if it works than.

Uhhh I can't remember the mission number....its after rescueing Nagase from the woods, its where I'm in the desert and I got ALOT of targets....I sadly failed by running out of time....there are just WAY to many targets to kill.

I also had one hell of a time taking out the Hrimfaxi too 0_o, it just wasn't hitting me till I realized, "Wait wait....F/18's got Laser guided....okay!" :p than I won......after 10 tries from being a complete idiot....

Ok on the rescue Nagase mission I keep running out of time. The radio chatter starts changing and it seems like I am getting closer to her but time keeps running out. Any trick to this or where is she located? As for the Demons or Razgriz mission (aka kill the sub) that mission had me for awhile, most of the time just took too much damage, others ran out of time again. Other then that the rest of the game has been ok for me.

Rob :ph34r:

Hornet has NO laser guided ASM. ITs long range ASM. ITs a SLAM missle. FOr the sub mission select the sub as your target not its SAMs. Use a fast plane. ITs easier to dodge the burst missle if you are in a fast plane.

FOR the nagase mission, head northwest, your bar should be full and as you get closer you'll hear more intense beeping. When chopper asks if you see her say no. THe copter should come soona fter you head northwest. Afterwards take out all SAM and AAA batteries targeting the copter and the MIGS attacking.

I had no problems finding Nagase, you just follow in the direction where the signal is stronger, take out the jamming aircraft and continue on, Chopper will ask to split up just tell him no. When the rescue copter asks if you spotted her, you actually wanna say Yes cause by than your around the area where she is and you should see a Blue friendly blip on your radar which says its her.

Than head back to where Sea Goblin (the rescue copter) is and have you and your team cover the copter, take out a few ground targets and as many fighters as possible...if he says "its getting to hot here" your gonna fail so act fast and blow as many planes out of the sky.

Ok on the rescue Nagase mission I keep running out of time. The radio chatter starts changing and it seems like I am getting closer to her but time keeps running out. Any trick to this or where is she located? As for the Demons or Razgriz mission (aka kill the sub) that mission had me for awhile, most of the time just took too much damage, others ran out of time again. Other then that the rest of the game has been ok for me.

Rob :ph34r:

Begin by selecting for yourself either the Su-27 or the F-15C, depending on which path you took on the coin flip, and any fighters for Grimm and Chopper with strong air-to-air capablities. When the mission starts, align yourself so that the green bars meet (should be to the WNW), and then kick in the afterburners. Unless you have a good shot, ignore the enemy fighters. When the green bars start to move apart, adjust your position with your yaw controls. If Chopper says, "Did you just see someone down there?" tell him, "No." When Chopper asks if you should split up and search, again, tell him, "no." Eventually, you'll start to get jammed. Take out the enemy E-767, ignore all other fighters, then focus on pointing your plane back into a position where the green bars are touching again. Grimm will say something like, "the signal is getting stronger, she must be around here!" Sea Goblin will eventually ask, "Did you locate her?" Answer yes, and the mission will change. You should now have two friendlies on the radar... one is Edge on the ground, ethe other is Sea Goblin. Leave Edge, and fy out to Sea Goblin. Take out any SAMs or AA guns on the ground, then order your wingmen to Disperse and activate special weapons. Shoot down any enemy fighters that get close to Sea Goblin. Once Sea Goblin picks up Nagase, the mission is over.

My detailed saving Nagase mission/tips:

1. Location varies. Not a WHOLE lot (always Western half of map), but it does shift more north or south.

2. It always takes me about 2 mins to complete the "finding" part. Thus, start the mission by taking out every ground target and helicopter you can, then when you have 2 to 2.5 minutes left, start hunting for her.

3. You've probably figured out that banking seems to really mess up the indicator, thus yaw your way around.

4. Once you've found her (and of course, take out the 767 the moment it appears), go SE as fast as you can, and take out ground targets---and DO NOT MISS THE APACHE. Every time I've lost that mission that I can see what happened, it's an Apache that got the rescue heli.

5. I usually take an F-14 or F-15, for raw speed (while still having agility), to head SE as fast as possible after I've found her to help the chopper, then run NW again to fight off jets once the SE chopper's ok.

PS---disperse wingmen. You want them all around, harrassing jets. Harrassing them all over is more important than killing them, as you merely need to stop them from shooting the chopper for like 2 mins.

Edited by David Hingtgen

On a controller related note...

Since this controller is obviously some variant of the Saitek X45, and we know the controller to be backwards compatible with AC4, and compatible (with drivers) for certain PC games....

Has anyone tried the Saitek X45 with the PS/2 or more notably, with this game?.

I have been drooling over the X45 forever, and if I could buy that, and use it with my PS/2, then I would definitely do so.

On a controller related note...

Since this controller is obviously some variant of the Saitek X45, and we know the controller to be backwards compatible with AC4, and compatible (with drivers) for certain PC games....

Has anyone tried the Saitek X45 with the PS/2 or more notably, with this game?.

I have been drooling over the X45 forever, and if I could buy that, and use it with my PS/2, then I would definitely do so.

I tried my X45 with Ace Combat 4, and either I screwed up (controller was in port one), or the PS2 won't recognize the controller. I haven't tried it with Ace Combat 5 though, but I will.

And yes, I LOVE my X45... Well, except the rocker rudder, but it's growing on me.

Just got mine today. Love the packaging. Love the HUMONGOUS PATCH it comes with. The stick is GREAT. Exact copy of my Saitek X36 HOTAS with some features of the X45 HOTAS and a few changes on the button layout.

One thing I don't like about this HOTAS (which I also didn't like about the X45 over my X36) is they seemed to have shortened the length of the main flight controller. Either that or the lower trigger is way too tall... Either way, my humongous hands barely fit in the damn thing. The X36 was much more roomier to me.

Either way, it's awesome. I also got the EBGames patch set which is 3 uniform patches.

Excellent excellent stuff.

Vostok 7

The X45 and the AC5 stick have a little attachment that goes on the pinky trigger of the flight stick that makes it easier to use for those with small hands, like kids. It comes off really easily and does not damage the stick in the process, uses only two little holes IIRC. I do not have a n X45, I still have my old school X36, love it. As for that seat, reminds me of those panels that Thrustmaster offered back in the day that would bolt onto your armed office chair, those were very nice.

Finally got round to picking up AC5 yesterday. Had to get the Japanese original version as it's impossible to find original US or UK versions here in Hong Kong :( , although funnily enough there were bootleg US version for sale, but I passed on those.

Damn Amazon for not shipping PS2 games internationally :angry: . Next time I should just ask you guys to help me buy one.

Anyway, I haven't had a chance to play it yet. the manual is all in Japanese, but from the look of the screen shots, the game is all in English as per previous AC games. Anyway, I've never needed a manual to play Ace Combat :lol: .

Graham

Alright, if anyone gets any stick besides the one that comes with it to work, let me know. While you're at it, let me know if they work on AC4 and AFDS, too.

Finally, after the huge setback of having to start the entire game over after finishing 26 missions, I beat the game! And I gotta say...

*SPOILERS*

...the final mission was almost anti-climactic. Flying though the tunnel was easier than flying through Geofront in Ace Combat 3, and with just one target to shoot, it didn't seem as bad as taking down Megalith in AC4... although things did get a little hairy when the shutters started closing. And then, shooting down the SOLG was like taking on the Arkbird, except this time, it wasn't shooting back. Ofnir and Grabacr's reapperance helped a little, except that I was flying the F/A-22... two salvos from the XLAAM's, and I'd taken out all but two before they'd finished their first pass. It was fun to be Blaze and a member of Razgriz/Wardog, and I'd grown fond of my wingmen... but it still doesn't compare to being Mr. "More effective than an entire fighter squadron" Mobius-01.

I just beat it as well. Blowing up the sattelite is fun. BEcause parts fly off of it. Fun to dodge> YES I beat it with an F-14D. I LOVE how they FINALLY gave a lot of attention to it and added a seperate HUD screen for iot!!(F-14D is only tomcat to have this...all others have HUD as part of front canopy)

ANd....I use it like a sniper...with phoenix missle. REAL usefull once shi* hits the fan

In this game the main character is more discreet than the last. Less hype fbystanders in the game who think you are some savior. ITs realy more so Ace Combat 2.

I just won on Hard about an hour ago. Am I the only who uses the HUD-view to do the tunnel? I tried it in free-flight in 3rd person view and was fine, but free flight doesn't have the closing shutters nor "barricades" in your way. Also tried mission 19 in free flight with F-16 (small, agile) but died pretty early in the tunnel. F-16 idle speed is 375, and it's just that much bigger than the Hawk. Certainly possible I think, but very difficult. Never found Su-37 Yellow in mission 27. I wonder if you have to bag both Su-47's in the tunnel to make it appear. Still have a lot more planes to unlock, don't know if I'll do normal or expert. Falken very soon.

For the very last final mission, it's a lot more fun to attack it really slowly. You've got LOTS of time and missiles, and it's the only way you'll actually hear the coolest parts of the song. Also, it starts to break up once you get closer to the end of the stage. I killed it with like 25 secs left. Might try again to see what happens if you go all the way.

Biggest change in Normal vs Hard: Mission 24. Way harder for unknown reasons. It was easy the time I beat it, but the first 6 runs I died really fast, even with F-15S/MTD. I highly suspect it moves faster, in addition to better defenses.

Edited by David Hingtgen

In this game the main character is more discreet than the last. Less hype fbystanders in the game who think you are some savior. ITs realy more so Ace Combat 2.

Instead, the bystanders think the four (five) of you are some savior. Despite the fact that when you add all their kills together, you still have less than 100, while I've got over 700. And Blaze was quiet because he was a jerk. Mobius-01 really was the man.

David - I never use the HUD views. The one with the cockpit obscures my view, and I get disoriented in the one without. Besides, what's the point of playing, if not to look the beautiful planes? And considering that I barely slipped my Raptor under the last shutter, I'm going to have to disagree with you that the shutters and barricades aren't in your way on 27.

david, I used the F-14D in the tunnel and beat it. Just go REAL fast when you see the shutters. BTW did you notice the D interior? its got a HUD screen!!! I thought they would be cheap and just use the existing frame from the F-14A/B but they changed it!! Even the F-4G cockpit is different a well from the F-4E. I unlocked some of the yuk color schemes.

JSF and F/A-18C color scheme is decent. Pretty nice. Still navy like. F-14D SP scheme aint bad...never thought I would see thgat camo on a tomcat

But david, you were SO right about the F-4G ace. UGH. Oh my god. Flower petal phantom!