Ace Combat 5

Does anyone know where I can find a pic of the Falken?

What does that word mean anyway?

You can find a pic in the strat guide. ;) And I guess that "Falken" is German for "Falcon."

HYPER-HUGE BIG-ASS SPOILER THINGY! DAVID, SKIP THE REST OF THIS POST! AND REMEMBER TO PUT SPOILER WARNINGS IF YOU WANT TO TALK ABOUT SPOILERY STUFF!!!

Okay, the Falken... well, it's damn ugly. It's tail fins are canted inward, like the VF-17, and they're sitting on the engines, which jut out from the back of the plane. The body is short, with stubby little forward-swept wings. There's no visble cockpit seams, and no canopy... just a bunch of white dots that I assume to be cameras or some kind of similar sensor, since the description boasts that the Falken's cockpit sports a 360 degree view. The worst thing, though, is the nose. From the front of the cockpit to the tip of the nose, it looks like a sharp spike that's longer than from the front of the cockpit to the back. Underneath, the intakes remind me a little of the Delphinus series from Ace Combat 3, with a big-ass laser weapon. After David has a chance to play the game, I'll try to scan it and post some pics (pics are a little harder to avoid than text descriptions).

One thing worth noting... whereas in previous AC games, the planes have been either dogfighter, multi-role, or ground attack, the planes in Ace Combat 5 are divided up as either Figher, Attacker, Multi-role or Jammer. Not sure how that will work out in the game.

I very much appreciate the spoiler warnings. :) I would like another line or two of spacing though, on my monitor it's JUST enough blank space. ::must not go to EB and flip through strat guide:: ::must not go to Gamefaqs boards::

Spent the evening fiddling with new controller. PS2 d-pads are less senstive than PSX due to being analog. (Yes, analog digital-pad). Swapped parts from PSX d-pad. Still not hyper-sensitive like I like, but better. R1 still takes too much pressure in AC4 (not as good as old controller was--controllers vary more than most people think IMHO, every one has different button pressure/sensitivity) Considering adding shims to R1 to make it more sensitive.

I very much appreciate the spoiler warnings. :) I would like another line or two of spacing though, on my monitor it's JUST enough blank space. ::must not go to EB and flip through strat guide:: ::must not go to Gamefaqs boards::

Spent the evening fiddling with new controller. PS2 d-pads are less senstive than PSX due to being analog. (Yes, analog digital-pad). Swapped parts from PSX d-pad. Still not hyper-sensitive like I like, but better. R1 still takes too much pressure in AC4 (not as good as old controller was--controllers vary more than most people think IMHO, every one has different button pressure/sensitivity) Considering adding shims to R1 to make it more sensitive.

I ordered the game with the flightstick just to see how much of a difference it makes...I hated the throttle pressure in AC4 and 5 seems like I have to mash the button down.

Ok, I'm leaving the thread for a while. Despite my best efforts (scrolling and peeking between my fingers) I got a bit spoiled. (thankfully it's not much of a plot spoiler I figure, and it's not WHOLLY unexpected) Will be back when I have gone through a couple of missions. Going to see if I can stack new PS2 on top of DVD player.

HUGE SPOILER ANSWERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Hawk was supposed to be a fighter trainer. In the game, it's considered a fighter. Smaller weapon load, but faster, more maneuverable, and smaller.

The Jammers don't seem to get specific missions. The difference between the Jammers and the fighters is that the fighters might have something like QAAMs, but the Jammers have... well, jamming pods. The strat guide goes so far as to suggest that Jammers are better assigned to your wingmen than to fly yourself.

The biggest thing I've noticed from the strat guide is how very similar it is to Ace Combat 2... branching stories with unique missions and planes, medals, and enemy aces.

SEMI SPOILER!!

Mike, it has a lot in common yes. Also of note is...from AC2

-Shared codenames for wingmen(Slash/Edge)

-most of the planes from AC2 that did NOT reappear in AC3/4 are IN 5!!!(YF-23, Tornado ADV(F3), F/A-18E, A-6E)

-FALKEN aka "ADF-01 ZOE high rank" This FSW was in AC2 suppposedly as a ZOE fighter near the end.

-not only medals and aces, but RANKS!!(also lik air combat 22 arcade)

Heh heh. I'm replying from Page 1 of the thread, so as to ensure I'm not reading any new posts.

Anyways---I would much appreciate a PM or something when someone gets a shipping notice, particularly if you ordered from EBGames.com----their emails haven't been reaching me lately (or even sent out) and I am of course paranoid my order will be missed/skipped/late. It'd really suck if I didn't get it until Wed, my schedule will be messed up.

The Jammers don't seem to get specific missions. The difference between the Jammers and the fighters is that the fighters might have something like QAAMs, but the Jammers have... well, jamming pods. The strat guide goes so far as to suggest that Jammers are better assigned to your wingmen than to fly yourself.

Sounds as if they want you to put together strike packages more than just playing the game.

Sorry for yet another "from outside the thread" post, but now it's "past close of business" time in most places, and still no email. And no PM's from any of you guys either. EB's site says order tracking's down, but only mentions GTS:SA is shipping on time.

I did manage to get my new PS2 on top of DVD player just fine, though it'd be easier if DVD tray was on RIGHT side of player---PS2 controller cable gets in the way. Watched "The Final Countdown" for some real-life Jolly Rogers F-14 action. :) Played Top Gun soudtrack in car today. Don't know what I'll do tonight. Actually considering SW Ep 1 or 2, or LOTR:FOTR.

Signed, David Hingtgen, obsessively paranoid/enthusiastic airplane/game-enthusiast. :)

Hey david do what I do (Shin who has no idea when he is getting this game unless his lil bro decides to buy it for him this week or he sells off some books)

-Play AFDS and use the older planes like the phantom(practice LOL.)

-Browse through ACIG.org

-PLay AC4, on ace mode, hardest missions, using older planes and practicing tactics fitting for plane in dogfighting(F-4 zoom climb/energy fight). Shattered skies using the F-4 in an energy fight takes a while to beat.

But I am sure you have done the latter for some reason ;)

BTW strategy guide SUCKS. Reading that guide will not do anything to stimulate you. I read guides for entertainment and I would expect it would be veryh graphic laden and such but it is not. (man what happened to gamefan's guides?) So freaking bland and hell the AC4 guide was much better. More pics and stuff. Actually both suck compared to Gamefan's AC2 guide from back in 97. NOw THAT is how an ace combat guide should be!! Extra pics and great airplane profiles.

Got my DVD a few weeks ago, but when I went over there the guy just looked at me for a second slapping himself on the forehead going "OOPS! Yeah that's not coming till tomorrow" I argued the fact that the site listed a 10/25 release date...I would let it slide if it were the flight stick bundle cause that's only to EB and Gamestop customers and I don't think will go retail else where like Fry's or crap.

But no the entire game with bonus features wont be here till tomorrow. Man I REALLY wanted to have my Macross like joystick :(

I think Robotech had similar issue all over with PS2 releases on the release date but Xbox was behind a day. Still personally would rather have had Xbox version cause the graphics would have been cleaner and a bit more crisp but who honestly cares anymore since the game sucked anyways.

Personally if the Track music for AC5 blows, I'll just stick in my Macross Zero OST and start playing some of the dog fight music to that.....or I'll make a mix track with nothing but dog fight music from Macross Zero, Macross, and Plus....those will get you pumpin.

Yeah. I was pretty torqued off that the game was released today, but not for sale today.... much like Shin, I've been playing AC4 on hard using the gimpiest planes there are (the F-5 and the A-10... but only in the game!) I've got tomorrow evening blocked off so I can "open a can". I'm pumped!

(ps: anyone get a "Wardogs" or "OSEA" patch they don't want? I've got a couple of Yuktobanian patches!)

Skull leader you havent unlocked ACE mode? That mode is most difficult in game(1 missle kill, flak for near a minute will drive power strength down to 85%).

Using an A-10 in whiskey corridor is UBER hard. That and the mission to me is very boring. Maybe because it is a desert. I did not like tango line either. I dunno....the one where you blow up those huge guns was cool though.

BLASPHEMY!!!!!! It said release date of 10/25 and it isn't there >< I WANT JUSTICE!!!!!!!

...........I should sue them for making me so macross esque antsy that I almost seizured :p

The release date isn't the 25th, the 25th is the shipping date. It'll be in stores tomorrow.

I personally had no problems with the 4th story, was fine in my opinion.  But now we got exactly 1 week till the release and I can already just picture going Max Jenius style on this game 0_o.

It SHIPS exactly one week from today. Unless you live in California, that generally means it won't be in stores until a week from tomorrow... that is, not until Tuesday 10-26. Most games aren't street dated the way movies are.

That's right, I'm quoting myself. I warned you guys a WEEK ago that the 25th was the ship date, and that it wouldn't be in stores until the 26th.