Ace Combat 5

I always go with Magicbox for news/pics:

http://www.the-magicbox.com/Mar04/game032504a.shtml

F-14's look to be D's, and even appear to have the correct rear fuselage.

Yes, sure looks like that's an EA-18G Growler. (Though I'd like to call the E/F/A-18 just to make fun of the Hornet's designation)

And of course, the big question is if they'll have the YF-23 and other prototypes. :) (I LOVE AFDS's inclusion of the YF-17, the Hornet's predecessor so rocked--I like F-20's a lot too)

PS--SpacePirateNeko---those ARE gameplay screens. (At least all the ones I've seen at Gamespot so far, and all the ones at the Magicbox) If you saw AC4, you wouldn't be surprised AC5 looks like this. Nobody can get the PS2 to pump out graphics like Namco, they even surpass Square IMHO.

Edited by David Hingtgen

EA-18G Growler, electronic warfare replacement for the EA-6B Prowler.

See, the idea is to not only get rid of the Tomcats, but all Grumman aircraft. 6 (maybe only 5) Hornet squadrons per carrier! 2 squadrons of F/A-18E's, 1 F/A-18F's, 2 F/A-18C, and 1 EA-18G squadron, that's my guess. Though E and C will be interchangable for a while. Maybe add in an F instead of a C.

Whats wrong with ditching the Tomcat? I mean, yeah, it's an awesome fighter... but isn't it getting a little old? And besides, they're awful big and heavy compared to the F/A-18 IMO.

Besides, that EA-18G looks way better than the EA-6B... just my opinion :D

Vostok 7

because simply put this is the biggest naval air mistake since aking the phantom a pure interceptor with no intention to dogfight.

A common phras is "even with smoke and mirrors the super hornet cant do the tomcats job"

The tomcat was able to outdo the phantom in EVERY way.

The only advantage the hornet got is some other electronics and easier maintenance.

BUt this is a long wagging debate for another thread. coincidentally i started a long one tat got locked for an unkown reason.

back on topic. I hope they got some vietnam era jhets in this! who gives a damn if its in the future give me some crusaders damn it!

David that plan for al hoe yes HOEnets sounds purely political to me. Who is running the navy now robert mcnamara? damn teh whol air wwing is commonalitized!

If Ef18g has GUN then it is on of my fav antiradar planes. See the hornet to me is fine and decent but when it comes to replaving the tomcat i bring the artillery out.

Big ass turkey forever!(yes i realize its not as manueverable as otehr teen fighters but crap i love it. For a plane that big its moves damn well and did its job damn well too)

A couple of the weekly HK gaming mags have articles on AC5 'Unsung War' and they show pics of some of the characters. Gone are the cell animed style of previous games. Instead in AC5 they are replaced with more photo-real looking CG characters that look like real people rather than anime characters.

Graham

EA-18G Growler, electronic warfare replacement for the EA-6B Prowler.

See, the idea is to not only get rid of the Tomcats, but all Grumman aircraft. 6 (maybe only 5) Hornet squadrons per carrier! 2 squadrons of F/A-18E's, 1 F/A-18F's, 2 F/A-18C, and 1 EA-18G squadron, that's my guess. Though E and C will be interchangable for a while. Maybe add in an F instead of a C.

You really think they'll put a whole squadron aboard, I figured they would do the same as the prowlers and put a detachment of 4-8 aboard.

a squadron of prowlsers IS 4-8 dude.,

Boys so far there is no online play announced. Originally the rumor was that there would be but it wouldnt need the HDD. As it stands now the sources I go to say no and that it loads as faster than Ac4 . This comparison is made

Ac5 vs AC4 WITH HDD to improve loading time.

believe it or not AC5 is FASTER in loading!

yep BLOCK 60 F-16. Let us hope tehy have the ASF-14 or Tomcat 21!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would also love to see the YF23. I wouldnt care if the F22 is in there or not but this is Ace combat so its a givenb.

i wouldnt even wish for a flanker kuz i KNOw namco cant get enough of it and will put at least 3 variants in.

Ever since Ace Combat 2, they developed a "Flanker Fetish"

Most of the major characters have it(some in AC3, posters of AC3 featuring flanker, the character who saves the raptors ass in the AC2 intro, itop enemy ace squadron in AC4)

Darn, I forgot to mention the F-16 CFT's. However, I don't think it's Block 60, as it's now official that the Block 60 is the F-16E/F, and they also have the Dorsal Spine, not just CFT's. (Though if the spine is there, then the game's got Block 60's)

Flanker fetish--ugh, 60 of AFDS's 130 planes were Flankers. All that, and no F-8's, no original F-4's, etc.

I sure hope maybe they'll model the F-14's flight controls right this time. Doubt it though, I think they've convinced themselves they're right.

PS--F-14's are more manueverable than most people think. They are right up there if not surpassing the F-15 at high speeds. The F-14's wing loading is much much lower than most people realize. Swing wings do rock, the F-14 has almost none of the disadvantages "traditionally" associate with them yet every advantage.

Edited by David Hingtgen

Sweetness, I've been waiting for this game for a long time. Looks really nice graphically. I like seeing new aircraft like the A-6 Intruder and I believe the red and white job is a Bae Hawk which is a trainer I believe, but is also combat-capable? I'd like to see some more action, involvement of your A.I. wingmen, like be able to give them orders (cover me, attack target, protect target, etc) like you can in Rogue Squadron. If not that, just show me that my wingmen are doing something to help me accomplish the mission (tie up enemy fighters so I can make my attack run, take out radar/sams/aaa). I'd also like to see more nap of earth flying, through canyons and stuff like at the end of the mission in Ace Combat 4 after destroying the solar powerplant.

That reminds me---one of the best things about AFDS is the wingmen have a brain. Unlike every other game ever, if the mission is to bomb something, and you take like an A-10, your wingmen can actually fight well enough to keep the Mig-29's off your back. In most games, no matter what, you need to load up on AMRAAM's to defend yourself, no matter how ground-oriented the mission is.

AC's wingmen are usually pointless.