Maybe this is Strange

0Coota0

I don't know how big Micro-machines are but Valks & other Macross mecha have appeared in fairly small scales. There are still plenty of 1/200 model kits around; that means a Valk in fighter would be under 3" long. Takatoku did several kits with multiple mecha in 1/320 scale, I think; that would make a Valk 1-3/4" long. (I've seen them in a store and was underwhelmed.) More recently, there are the Macross pencil sharpeners (get them eBay or Valkyrie Exchange, among other places), and the Bandai First Mission and Second Mission Gashapon sets. (For info on these last, look at this page on MW. But note that the title is wrong; this isn't the "Bandai : High Complete Model 1/72 VF-1A Kakizaki Type".)

Basically, just browse through the Toys and Models sections from links on the front page of MW.

Anyway, I'd certainly like to see a series of consistent-scale figures which are small enough and cheap enough to build armies and make dioramas.

The Takatoku SDF-1 Had mini-valks...real mini.

Yeah, but they weren't to scale for being on the Promethius as they were. They were ugly and IMO a mistake... That was one thing that Matchbox did right, got rid of them.