origonal show in english on DVD?

Coyote187

RT is as close to a dub of Macross as you can get. There was no dub made of the original series. Sorry.

Actually...there was.

It just wasnt finished. It was Macross in English dub by HG. They still changed alot of names but it was cooler than RT. You can find the VHS on Ebay sometimes. I think only the first 3 or 4 episodes were completed before they turned it into Robotech.

RT is as close to a dub of Macross as you can get. There was no dub made of the original series. Sorry.

Actually...there was.

It just wasnt finished. It was Macross in English dub by HG. They still changed alot of names but it was cooler than RT. You can find the VHS on Ebay sometimes. I think only the first 3 or 4 episodes were completed before they turned it into Robotech.

Actually, it was just the first episode they did as a pilot, and it's available on the RT box set extra disk volume E5. It was still edited (no Roy ogling Mimay's backside on the tarmac ;) ), the plot was still changed (the Unifaction wars weren't mentioned, and follows the same RT theme) the names were still changed, and the voice acting is about what you'd expect. "Rick Yamada" specifically calls the Vf-1D a "valkyrie". Interestingly enough, it uses the same annoying voice actors, but none of the sound effects or music from RT.

They DO use quite a lot of the original Macross music, but they took some ... let's say, some 'Creative license" with a few tunes --- especially the intro music. They basically got some no-tallent ass clown to sing english lyrics over an original tune from Macross, but it had NO business being violated in this way. This is especially painful, and those of you who read this and have seen this atrocity can back me up. Imagine a bad Tony Bennett impressionist (badly) singing lounge tunes to an old synthesizer:

"Soldiers of warlords

from deep space" ... (synth horns go 'da da dam' as Hikaru takes off for the intro scene...)

It's kind of like how bad and cheesy Bill Murray was on SNL doing his lunge singer bit.

"Just a pile of rust

was all they found on that isle" (he really cranks it up here :lol: ... as picture of Macross on S Ataria pans by)

"No one never expected to see...

10 years Super Fortress Macross ...

would rise

Guardian of you (really high note) and of me ..."

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Just teeth-grittingly awful.

Edited by Batou

Actually...there was.

Actually you can find the Macross pilot dub (episode 1 only, I'm afraid) inside the Extras disc of Robotech Legacy Collection Set, volume 5.

The dub retains the BGM but it has some alterations despite being a direct-to-video project:

* A strange English-made opening song that lacks the power of the original opening.

* All first names are altered while retaining their Japanese family names. The only exception is Hikaru, who is named "Rick Yamada".

* The dub voices are identical to the RT counterparts, except the narrator.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Captain of the SDF-1 Macross

There was an English dub that was broadcasted in the Phillipines using Filipino actors (good thing it wasn't the HK dubbers from Clash of the Bionoids/Super Space Fortress Macross). It used to air on TV station RPM-9, Sundays at 6 PM. It aired in the summer of 1985 and kept it on reruns up to probably 1988.

The Filipino-made English dub retains most of the story intact, all of the songs and music and no sign of HG's Robocrap. B) It was better then what HG has to offer and one of the few people in the board to saw it.

Yet, there were alterations:

* The openings and endings were changed. The opening gets a strange English male singer singing a song (I can't remember the details) with random clips of the show and an instrumental ending with random clips as well.

* There were cuts but minimal.

* The character names got a mixed bag. Some retain the Japanese ones, some got the RT ones and some got a new set of names. The names that got original English ones are Lynn Minmay as Maria Lynn-Minmay, Lynn Kaifun as Teddy Typhoon and Millia as Samantha. :blink:

Wish I had recorded the episodes. <_<

Actually...there was.

Actually, it was just the first episode they did as a pilot, and it's available on the RT box set extra disk volume E5. It was still edited (no Roy ogling Mimay's backside on the tarmac ;) ), the plot was still changed (the Unifaction wars weren't mentioned, and follows the same RT theme) the names were still changed, and the voice acting is about what you'd expect. "Rick Yamada" specifically calls the Vf-1D a "valkyrie". Interestingly enough, it uses the same annoying voice actors, but none of the sound effects or music from RT.

Actually, what was on the Extras disc was a pilot for a possible Macross tv show to air on U.S.channels. There is a feature length VHS that includes the first four episodes. I saw a ad for it in my issue of SDF Macross#1 by HG and Comico back in 1985. At the time, you could only get it through mail order.

I saw the Macross English dub by HG before it became Robotech. A local anime store (that quickly went under) called "The Robot Center" showed it to us as a special Saturday party one day when I was just a kid (I'm 29 now). . . but I distinctly remember the bad opening.

Robotech was already on the air when they showed it to us. So I also remember thinking one change was cool: In it, Minmei called Rick "cute" as she went off to the shelters.

I could have sworn we saw the first two episodes. Rather than just the last one.

Please excuse the HG names. :) I *was* watching HG's version after all.

The voice acting wasn't so bad. They did good acting considering how bad the writing was. That being said, the actual voices of the people playing Minmei and Misa/Lisa were terrible.

H

The voice acting wasn't so bad. They did good acting considering how bad the writing was. That being said, the actual voices of the people playing Minmei and Misa/Lisa were terrible.

That's what I meant, although I happen to like Lisa's voice quite a bit. As for the Minmay voice actress, it's so hard to separate the annoying elements of the character (and the horrible songs) from the voice, that I'm agnostic. She definitely shouldn't have been allowed to sing.

Yep, and those comics were valuable for a while. My brother and I collected comics back then. . . and we bought as many as we could (we were idiots back then. . . wait, I still am!).

They got up to like $50 a copy I think. I'm pretty sure they're only good for toilet paper now.

BTW, Issue #1's artwork was much better than the following issues. It had an almost watercolor quality. And the character designs were dead-on. The rest. . . uh, sucked.

H

Yeah, I discovered that too on my Animeigo. If I had a larger group of friends who liked Macross and who had decent voices, I'd be all for doing that. :)

Of course, you wouldn't be able to really release it anywhere but iMacross servers. . . lest ye be sued. :)

H

Yep, and those comics were valuable for a while. My brother and I collected comics back then. . . and we bought as many as we could (we were idiots back then. . . wait, I still am!).

They got up to like $50 a copy I think. I'm pretty sure they're only good for toilet paper now.

BTW, Issue #1's artwork was much better than the following issues. It had an almost watercolor quality. And the character designs were dead-on. The rest. . . uh, sucked.

H

They were valuable? Wow, I never knew that. I have a HUGE stack of various Robotech comics (Comico through Antarctic), but I definately never collected them thinking there was any value, cuz.. there isn't :lol:

Yeah, I seem to remember issue #1's art had more of a watercolor/animation cell look to it, can't recall if I actually have that issue yet.

More bonus info... Much like the Macross dub pilot, HG produced a dubbed pilot for Mospeada as well. Anyone know if thast on the extra discs in the Robotech set too?

There was an English dub that was broadcasted in the Phillipines using Filipino actors (good thing it wasn't the HK dubbers from Clash of the Bionoids/Super Space Fortress Macross). It used to air on TV station RPM-9, Sundays at 6 PM. It aired in the summer of 1985 and kept it on reruns up to probably 1988.

The Filipino-made English dub retains most of the story intact, all of the songs and music and no sign of HG's Robocrap. B) It was better then what HG has to offer and one of the few people in the board to saw it.

Yet, there were alterations:

* The openings and endings were changed. The opening gets a strange English male singer singing a song (I can't remember the details) with random clips of the show and an instrumental ending with random clips as well.

* The character names got a mixed bag. Some retain the Japanese ones, some got the RT ones and some got a new set of names. The names that got original English ones are Lynn Minmay as Maria Lynn-Minmay, Lynn Kaifun as Teddy Typhoon and Millia as Samantha. :blink:

few hours late. :blink:

Edited by Bub

Oh yeah. It was better than what HG had to offer.

And it was shown in RPN-9. (Funny, I thought I actually e-mailed the webmaster of the station' s official website regarding the episodes. But no reply :( )

About the opening songs. I think I remember the tune but I don't know Filipinos composed it.

I think Hayao is Harry, I heard to a fellow Flip bro. :)

Anyway, check out this site that I've booked marked:

(click me)

H

Comico's SDF Macross#1 is worth $20 and it's very rare. I own one. :D

Yep, and those comics were valuable for a while.  My brother and I collected comics back then. . . and we bought as many as we could (we were idiots back then. . . wait, I still am!).

They got up to like $50 a copy I think.  I'm pretty sure they're only good for toilet paper now.

BTW, Issue #1's artwork was much better than the following issues.  It had an almost watercolor quality.  And the character designs were dead-on.  The rest. . . uh, sucked.

H

I have one as well. Its fugly though. :lol:

That Filipino Macross sounds...interesting. I wonder what its legal status was.

From what I remembered, there was no sign of Harmony Gold's name in the Flipino English dub, so it means that the Filipino English dub must have got its rights from Big West.

Even though, for some reason the Filipino dubbers use a small amount of the RT names even though they also used the Japanese names and original English names exclusive to the dub. Hikaru was called Ricky Hunter or sometimes as "Little Ricky" IIRC.

I got my copy for $CND 7.50.

Like MilkManX said, the art is fudgy and its worse than Comico's RT art. The art for SDF Macross#1 was loaded with watercolored art and the characters sometimes look bad. <_<

I got my copy for $CND 7.50.

Like MilkManX said, the art is fudgy and its worse than Comico's RT art. The art for SDF Macross#1 was loaded with watercolored art and the characters sometimes look bad. <_<

I have one too! Mint cond. I bought it 3 days after it came out.

From what I remembered, there was no sign of Harmony Gold's name in the Flipino English dub, so it means that the Filipino English dub must have got its rights from Big West.

Even though, for some reason the Filipino dubbers use a small amount of the RT names even though they also used the Japanese names and original English names exclusive to the dub. Hikaru was called Ricky Hunter or sometimes as "Little Ricky" IIRC.

Lynn Kyle/Kaifun is called Teddy Typhoon and Rick/Hikaru is Little Ricky; I gotta see this. Was the show called Robotech, Macross, or a brand new name? Did this version air the same time as Robotech did in the states? Or is this version available on VHS? I have a French version of a Saint Seya OVA and it has a commercial for DYRL. This time it's called Robotech: Macross. :ph34r:

Edited by terry the lone wolf

I don't want to dig out my Comico Macross #1 but I think it was nice in that the pictures looked like cels (were they?) but they were a bit blurry and (possibly because based on cels) not really designed well for a comic book format. Some of the later Comico issues had quite interesting art. I'm thinking especially of #5 (?), which has a very original and artistic take on Minmei and her aunt at the Chinese restaurant. I remember also liking the graphic style of the first issue or so of Masters (though it wasn't anything special compared to that Macross issue #5 or whatever). Still later, the artwork went down the drain entirely.

Lynn Kyle/Kaifun is called Teddy Typhoon and Rick/Hikaru is Little Ricky; I gotta see this. Was the show called Robotech, Macross, or a brand new name? Did this version air the same time as Robotech did in the states? Or is this version available on VHS? I have a French version of a Saint Seya OVA and it has a commercial for DYRL. This time it's called Robotech: Macross. :ph34r:

The Filipino English version of SDF Macross is just called "Macross". Yet, their English version of the title logo was laid out the same way as the original. "Super Dimension Fortress" replaced the boxed kanji on the top, "Macross" replaces the center and "Fighter -- Gerwalk -- Battroid" replaces the Macross name on the bottom. So they retain the name and anything from the footage remains mostly intact.

And no, it's not Robotech. If it were, we would have seen Southern Cross footage on episode 29, but it wasn't there. So the Filipino English dub is a straight adaptation of Macross.

The earliest time this English dub aired on Phillipine television was on the summer of 1985, around the time Robotech was airing in North America. No one at Harmony Gold ever put a stop to this because the Filipino English dub was done with approval from Big West. Sadly, this English dub never got released on video and no one knows if the TV station RPM-9 did has the rights.

Robotech did got aired in the Philippines around 1989-1990 (?), at a time I already left for Canada. I heard from some friends of mine complaining about the Robotech version because it didn't stay true to the Macross story (duh) and it sucks compared to the Filipino English dub (which retained the story and is much better to watch).

I don't want to dig out my Comico Macross #1 but I think it was nice in that the pictures looked like cels (were they?) but they were a bit blurry and (possibly because based on cels) not really designed well for a comic book format. Some of the later Comico issues had quite interesting art. I'm thinking especially of #5 (?), which has a very original and artistic take on Minmei and her aunt at the Chinese restaurant. I remember also liking the graphic style of the first issue or so of Masters (though it wasn't anything special compared to that Macross issue #5 or whatever). Still later, the artwork went down the drain entirely.

Tell me about it. If anyone looked at their letters column, more than half of letters are devoted to artwork complaints. :lol:

The rest of the letters in the letters column are basically favorite RT stuff and requests for a comic adaptation of the RT movie or Sentinels.

I also remembered that Comico also tried their hands on making comic adaptations to Star Blazers around the same time.

A-one, and-a-two, and-a-three. . .

To be in love! My hero! he must take me where no other can! Where we will find. . . a brand new world! A world with things we've never seen before! Where silver suns have golden moons! Each year has thirteen Junes. That must be for me. . . to be in love!

Thank you. Thank you very much.

:D

To be in love! My hero! he must take me where no other can! Where we will find. . . a brand new world! A world with things we've never seen before! Where silver suns have golden moons! Each year has thirteen Junes. That must be for me. . . to be in love!

*rubs ears*

You're as bad as Exedol.

:o:blink::huh: <_<

Funny how that song still induces a facial twitch followed by uncontrollable rage.

Actually, what was on the Extras disc was a pilot for a possible Macross tv show to air on U.S.channels. There is a feature length VHS that includes the first four episodes. I saw a ad for it in my issue of SDF Macross#1 by HG and Comico back in 1985. At the time, you could only get it through mail order.

I stand corrected. Whatever it was, it was awful. :D I seriously would have preferred that they had just left it Macross and done the dub instead of "altering" it into Robotech, though (and I use that term loosely). Still, it's a little tough to swallow after getting used to my Animeigo boxed set.

*Pukes*