CG VF-11

mighty gorgon

Man, that is just sweet!!! Gorgon, now you can finish you're CG VF-11B without anymore hassles!!!

You're right!!! Actually I still had some doubts regarding the fron gear (looked too short) when I got the attached screenshot (from Macross 7, episode 44), an almost prefect side shot that solves the "front gear length doubt". MUST GO BACK TO THE MODELLER!!!!

(this thread will become "VF-11 references")

Regds

Gorgon

post-5-1087349249_thumb.jpg

You're right!!! Actually I still had some doubts regarding the fron gear (looked too short) when I got the attached screenshot (from Macross 7, episode 44), an almost prefect side shot that solves the "front gear length doubt". MUST GO BACK TO THE MODELLER!!!!

You go do that!!! Now buzzing with excitement!!!

Looking really good....too bad the VF-11 does not get the love that the other valks do like the VF-19 and VF-22S....It has the potential to be so much, but is just cannon fodder in MAcross 7...except for the Full Armor version. That thing is so awesome. Looking forward to your complete WIP.

Larry

Nice!!! Can't wait for the complete WIP with both gears up & down!!!

Without 3-views of the gear, I'll have to model first the "legs & wheels" and after figuring out the folding mechanism, the bay doors...

In the meantime I couldn't wait to do some test texture (no panel lines yet). Man! I'm in love with the F/A-18 E/F low viz of the VFA-2 (here).

I *PROMISE* I'll do a High Viz Sundowner, but the low viz fits so sweet on the VF-11...

Regds,

Gorgon

(seat and pilot borrowed from the VF-4)

post-5-1087755199_thumb.jpg

Edited by mighty gorgon

THis might seem selfish but is it possible to do a High Vis VF-33 "Starfighter's" skin for the CG VF-11, it is, well, they have always been my favorite squadron colors.

you know, it might help if I actually include an example of the colors~_~

(From the 'Unofficial Squadron Colors' thread)

VF11starfightersupdate.jpg

Edited by Chaser617

No problem! but let me first finish the mesh. After all, I am doing 3D models because they are very easy to repaint (once you get the first model straight).

Now, going back to the '11, I've been working the whole day on this @#%$ landing gear :angry: . Boy! Kawamori can design a perfectly transformable craft, but he needs some help for the L.G. When you are at it, you realize why the current design of landing gears are different from the ones in the MDW.

Ok, so far (and weighting some 7900 polys), the gear legs and wheels look like this. After finishing them, I'll fold them in the fuselage and I'll do the gear bays and doors.

Regds, Gorgon

p.d.: I forgot some details in the front leg, including the launchbar, landing light, etc.)

(edited, added the "p.d.")

post-5-1087880833_thumb.jpg

Edited by mighty gorgon

Looks very basic gorgon.

Yes... it makes you wonder were the hell are those 7900 polys... :( just to stack some 10 cylinders? I could not get a decent (I mean *complex*) looking landing gear in my previous model (non Macross). Guess I'll improve it with textures.

Regds,

G.

Edited by mighty gorgon

Didn't the image Gerwalker let you photocopy help you with the landing gears??

Remember that I told that I only modeled the legs, to figure out the fold and design the wheel wells. And also, the front L.G. is not complete... anyway, there's something in the renderer that I cannot master yet, to bring the L.G. to "life". Check by yourself the differences between the scan of the rear L.G. and the model. Remember, I did legs & wheels only (no wheel well or doors at all!), and no textures. The mesh you'r watching has 2170 polys. 90% of the volumes of the MDW book are there (more or less), but somehow it looks dull. I have a couple of ideas I'll try to experiment with tomorrow, using bump and diffusion maps.

Regds

G

nore: the inner wheel hub looks SOOO bad... I'll redo it some of these days... :p

(edited: note that some proportions have been modified from the MDW... I followed more or less the dimensions of an F-14 L.G.)

post-5-1087965526_thumb.jpg

Edited by mighty gorgon

Front L.G. almost finished. The wheel hubs are not complete yet, but I added some details like the approach indexer.

The complete L.G. (rear & front with wheels) is weighting some 9500+ polys.

Regds,

G.

p.d.: did some trial render with some diffusion map in the *rear* L.G. and it works fine. Is like a wash in plastic models. Details suddenly jump out...

post-5-1088052539_thumb.jpg

Edited by mighty gorgon

To bad there is no way to combine the geomatry of the rear langing gear of the Hornet with the regular front gear from the tech drawings. But that probably won't fit right, will it?

Well... as there are "canonical" references to the rear L.G. I tried to stick to them. I really like the Hornet gear, at least from an aestethical point of view...

Hope I can try it sometime... Say... in a VF-5000????? (that will be my next project)!!!

Regds,

G.

• 2 weeks later...

So... after some days off, I went back to the L.G. this time to tackle the gear bay doors. Again, some "anime magic" was present in the original designs, so I modified them, trying to stick as much as possible to the original. I do not have ANY plans to detail the inner bays, excep for some major stuff.

This is how they look so far...

Regds,

G

(edited, added the) P.D.: the hinges have not been modeled yet...

post-5-1089162725_thumb.jpg

Edited by mighty gorgon

Looking fantastic. :) Wish I could get stuff that detailed into MS Flight Sim.. <_<

One thing though, the tires you've made look really thin... most aircraft tires are pretty thick. It might help if you keep the tires the same radius, but decrease the radius of the hubs a bit. The reference pics above show the tires making up much more of the wheels.

Looking fantastic. :) Wish I could get stuff that detailed into MS Flight Sim.. <_<

One thing though, the tires you've made look really thin... most aircraft tires are pretty thick. It might help if you keep the tires the same radius, but decrease the radius of the hubs a bit. The reference pics above show the tires making up much more of the wheels.

Ha! Modelling in 3D can be an exercise in detail! As you use vector models, this can get to INSANE detailing! A reasonable modeler (which I am not!) should balance the details along the model. In my case... the results are obvious!

The tires... You are rigth. I'll try to fix them in the next iteration.

Reegarding the low poly mesh, you still want it for the FS? That mesh, along with some 3 views of the advanced model (basically for landin gear position), should be more than enough to get a good VF-11 in MSFS.

Regds,

G

If you have a hard time visualizing objects in 3D from 2D sources then 3D modeling would not be your cup of tea; if, on the other hand, you can picture in your mind what something should look like from a few drawings (top view + side view for example + a front view if you're lucky) then the only thing to worry about would be to learn one of the myriad 3D modeling softwares available out there. From there, imagination and/or inspiration are the only requisites.

Edited by mechaninac

Personally, I don't think any artistic talent is required for basic 3D modelling, that is to say, you don't need to be able to do a pencil sketch of your intended object. Just speaking for myself, I have little grasp of basic art skills, my skills pretty much limited to stick figures (once did a presentation with stick figures, was a riot and the prof gave me an A just cause I was amusing, otherwise she had originally asked for "sketches").

I think the key here is to be able to understand how objects are composed. Basic geometric knowedlge would help, ie a computer is essentially a cube, squash down the sides a bit, cut a few holes, and voila!, a basic case. Then understand that there is no such thing as a perfect 90 degree angle, so you bevel the case to give it a more rounded feeling. You'll also realize that everything in this world as a thickness, so you extrude a tad.

Kick it up a notch (*bam!*), and you'll be dealing with Sub-Ds and lines that are fluid instead of being straight, and that's the real kicker. The key to successful (I think) Sub-D usage is to be able to see how the lines flow on a given object. Take a look at might gorgon's model for a good idea. I was stuck here for a long time since I had a hard time visualizing the lines, till one day it just hit me and I could look at any object and be able to visualize how the lines flowed. Sorta like what Neo saw towards the end of the Matrix... er... either that, or I was smoking too much of the good stuff back then :p

If you want to try it out, but don't want to spend the big bucks, check out Blender. It's a tad hard to pick up, but it's free.

Sorry to hijack your thread a second time gorgon. Very nice work on the landing gear I say.

Edited by Akilae

This might seem like a stupid question but how artistically talented must you be to build 3D moddels, becaouse, to be quite honest? I have zero visual talent, its all focused into the written word.

Hard to give a straight answer... because of two things:

1) 3D modelling requires talents in different departments!

2) "artistic talent" is something hard to define

In principle I should agree with Akilae, as I turned to 3D modelling because I did not have the skills to do realistic drawings of planes. However, CG also requires some creativity and a lot of effort. As someone said, it's 90% sweating and 10% inspiration. Volumetric modelling goes more or less fine, once you master a 3D program. Things (for me) get difficult when you start surfacing and illuminating the model. Like plastic modelling, painting & weathering are more difficult than assembling.

In any event don't get scared by the apparent complexities of 3D modelling. There are lots (and I mean LOTS) of good tutorials out there in the web. As for Lightwave, I personally recommend http://www.lwg3d.org

Regds,

G