VF Pilot training

Maluk

You have to be young and angst-ridden. :p

I wouldn't really call Hikaru angst-ridden at all, especially not compared to the Majority of Gundam pilots who take the meaning of angst-ridden to a whole new level :p

As for how to become a pilot in the UN Spacy, well it's probably just like applying to the air force in real life, except for I guess during Space War 1, where due to pilot attrition, they were accepting anybody with 2 arms and 2 legs! :lol:

Graham

Does anyone know how you can become a pilot in Macross? Do you apply somewhere? What do they do in training? Does anyone know the details?

It looks like one volunteers as suggested by Minmay at the end of episode 5 "Transformation". I find that a bit odd. Would have thought military service would have been mandatory given the SDF-1's dire situation. I assume you enlist at a recruiting office.

As for training? Watch episode 6 "Daedalus Attack".

I think because we were so use to peace time after WWI that no one really wanted to go recruite to even be a pilot...compared to now-a-days.

I mean it does take alot of brain work I think to pilot the aircrafts we have today, it's not like you can be Ben Affleck say you can't read or do math but HEY! it's just a 30 million dollar piece of equipment how hard can it really be?!

Sorry but I have to say it. what a dumb question... :angry:

No offense intended by the way ;)

:blink: Dumb question you say?

Just wanna get the details of pilot training as I am planning to develop a MUD for Macross. I haven't found any so I'd like to start one. I need all info I could get including pilot training so that I can add them to the game. :rolleyes:

Sorry but I have to say it. what a dumb question... :angry:

No offense intended by the way  ;)

:blink: Dumb question you say?

Just wanna get the details of pilot training as I am planning to develop a MUD for Macross. I haven't found any so I'd like to start one. I need all info I could get including pilot training so that I can add them to the game. :rolleyes:

In all honesty I don't think that ever was discussed on an official level

and nobody here knows

I guess you can do what you want with it

if you want inspiration: the comment about WWII pilots just before and during the

Battle of Brittain

would be the best scenario (High Selection Standards being lowerd the more the battle continues)

"person x was a regular japanese schoolboy WHEN, he accidentally opened an interdimensional time rift and met a bunch of comically satisfying demonic co-stars"

oh, thats another formula.

umm you have to want to look absolutely bad ass with that sick valkyrie helmet visor

and you need to be able to--who am i kidding half the time you watch any battle in macross, you see roy talking on the screen talking to whoever and in the background, do you know what you see? explosions. not enemy explosions. the kind of explosions that happened to take off from the prometheus.

"valkyrie squadrons green and brown are completely destroyed!"

"skull is our only hope now"

exxaccttllyy

easy, you just show up, and they give you a valkyrie.

"you have flight experience? good, now take off"

im afraid that criteria's a bit too steep for macrossians. its much more the russian WWII approach of "one man gets a magazine, the other gets a rifle, when you charge, pick up a rifle from a dead comrade, and continue on"

i'd love to be a chief operator, i'd get such a rush off of screaming "YANKEE SCRAMBLE" all day.

i just remembered: watch the first 5 minutes or so of Dedalus Attack: running jumping, climing trees, shooting a pistol, and err.. the disposition of being a flying ace already and transforming to fire off a few rounds in b mode.

i just remembered: watch the first 5 minutes or so of Dedalus Attack: running jumping, climing trees, shooting a pistol, and err.. the disposition of being a flying ace already and transforming to fire off a few rounds in b mode.

Or running, jumping, climbing trees, putting on makeup while you're up there.

Because Global knows that the most important element of battle is the element of surprise.

And what could be more surprising than the first air wing, transvestite squadron. Valkyries plummeting from the sky with fantastic makeup!, and a fantastic gun!.

Come to think of it, that crap really would have worked on the Zentraedi :blink:

I wouldn't really call Hikaru angst-ridden at all, especially not compared to the Majority of Gundam pilots who take the meaning of angst-ridden to a whole new level 

Come to think of it, aside from not knowing when chicks were practically throwing themselves naked in front of him (a common anime trait) Hikaru was just about the most normal main character out there.

Oh, and noone says angst like Shinji Ikari, that little pussy had more angst in him than every Gundam pilot that ever existed, all rolled into one sexually confused little package. But that's a conversation for the Evangelion thread...

actually now that i think about it, and after reading this topic...

it kinda makes sence that the vaks had paper for armor and a gun they coudlnt' reload.

apparently most valk pilots were bus boys, vallets and anyone else who hand the where-with-all to get into a cockpit.

99.9% of those valks probably never got to the point of NEEDING to reload. :-)

Aside from what seems like basic military training seen in Episode 6, there's probably alot of sim time, especially with the situation of the SDF-1. I think the simulators would be the real deciding factor to see if a person could handle piloting a valk and utilize all its abilities and transformations effectively. Also there will definately be G-Tolerance training as well as zero-g for space combat. In the specific case of the SDF-1, with attrition, they would take whoever did passibly well in the sims and just throw them out into space combat just like that.