Finally! My Macross Holy Grail is within my grasp!

Sephiroth

For those of you vetrans who know me, you know well that I've been wanting a Takatoku 1/55 VF-1S Super Valkyrie giftset for several years now...and today, my dream shall soon be realized. I just won the following auction:

8d_3.JPG

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...bayphotohosting

Yeah, it's a little yellowed and its missing the VF-1S sticker sheet, but for the price ($314.99 + shipping)...I still think I got a hell of a deal! I still remember vividly when these babies went for $700 to $1,200 and be only slightly better in overall condition. I would have liked to wait for a completely mint piece to come along, but I really didn't want to spend more than $400 for one.

As the VF-1S itself doesn't look to be too yellowed, I may still be able to whiten it up a bit with some dental bleaching products (worked on some yellowed GI Joe Storm Shadows in the past). If I'm still not pleased with the valkyrie, I may consider replacing the white VF-1S with my grey VF-1S (C-9.5+ with an usued sticker sheet). As my grey VF-1S' box has seen much better days, I may sell the it with the white VF-1S, sans the sticker sheet, to help off-set the cost. I have always preferred the grey to the white VF-1S as it was the one I remember most from my childhood...but I don't know if it would be a such a good idea to break up the set. It's really the armor and the box/packaging that has always been my main interest.

Was it a good deal? What would you do in my situation? I'd like to here your thoughts.

Edited by Sephiroth

Welcome to the ranks of the Macross elite (although, I no longer own mine, and it was much further from MIB than yours is...)

Despite the advances in technology represented in the Yamato molds, the Takatoku line has a certain aesthetic quality that cannot be recaptured by anything made today. All the more so when it's still in the box.

Still, if you decide to break the set, or even just wanna sell your grey, lemme know, I'd love to replace what I never should've let go!

Congratulations Sephiroth on obtaining what you obviously have a passion about.

I don't have any original Taka 1/55 VF-1's, but I do own the more recent Bandai reissue Super VF-1S.

Other than the nostalgia factor and the fact the the Taka's are the original toy, are there any structural/aesthetic features of the original that the reissues don't have? In other words, is there any difference in the actual toy, other than the the fact that the markings on the reissues are pained on?

Congrats! You're not just buying a piece of Macross history, you're getting some of the most beautifully designed and illustrated toy boxes ever. Even after 25 years, those pictures and text fire the imagination and evoke memorable scenes from the show like no other. The closest thing today are the gorgeous box art for Hasegawa's kits...

Mmmmm.... Takatoku goodness.

That toy has a nostalgia factor of 10. I'd say keep it together, in it's kickass packaging and enjoy it. The reissue is great, but it's a good deal on a classic and I'd keep it the way they released it.

Congrats, Seph.

Wow, congrats I guess.

I'm surprised the HK bootleg people haven't done this kinda packaging for a VF-1 Super. They still use styrofoam for the bootleg Fire and Blazer valks... they'd make a mint, I imagine...

Wow, congrats I guess.

I'm surprised the HK bootleg people haven't done this kinda packaging for a VF-1 Super. They still use styrofoam for the bootleg Fire and Blazer valks... they'd make a mint, I imagine...

The Joon's boxes were styro and DEFINITELY based off the old Taka boxes.

The new bootlegs are just lame. Joons valks had some style, if they were a bit loose and cheapish.

Ok, just won my second Holy Grail...the massive 1985 GI Joe USS Flagg!

FLAGG1.jpg

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...MEBWA%3AIT&rd=1

I've always been a big Macross fan, but I have to admit that I played with GI Joe way more than any other toyline when I was growin' up. The USS Flagg is my GI Joe Holy Grail. The damn thing is like 7 1/2 feet long for crying out loud! I always wanted to see what the deck of a Flagg would look like littered with Valkyries and soon I'll get to do it and you better believe that I'll be taking some pics of it all. Come to think of it, I don't ever recall anyone ever putting a valkyrie on a USS Flagg's deck and taking a picture of it. I know the scales are all jacked up, but I think a 1/60 or even 1/48 Yamato VF-1 would look more appropriate than a Sky Striker on it, plus you could fit a lot more with out it looking too crowded.

What do you guys think?

Edited by Sephiroth

Very very nice Seph. NOW ! you can put your Valkyries on it and it would be a nice display :)

Or they could mod it into a Prometheus or Dadelus and put a ton of little Banpresto's on there. :p

My brother used to have the USS Flagg, he used to practice landing the Sky Stryker on the flight deck. :p

(I would attack him with the Cobra Hydrofoil).

Very very nice Seph. NOW ! you can put your Valkyries on it and it would be a nice display  :)

Or they could mod it into a Prometheus or Dadelus and put a ton of little Banpresto's on there. :p

My brother used to have the USS Flagg, he used to practice landing the Sky Stryker on the flight deck. :p

(I would attack him with the Cobra Hydrofoil).

I used to have the Hydrofoil as well, but it didn't last very long.

I really need to get a Sky Striker now, but I haven't found a decent one on eBay for long time. I do have a Tomahawk and a Rattler, but no Sky Striker...yet.

You lucky guy :D

I use to have the Mac VF-1s super valk and the G.I.Joe U.S.S Flag many years back.

Just wished I would have saved them instead of handing it down to my cousin. :(

Ahhh...those were the good old days Atari, Star Wars, Macross and G.I.Joe :rolleyes:

Holy on the USS Flag.

I also collect Joes and damn, that is a great find! 100% complete!

Now go buy some real estate and setup that GI Joe, Macross, Transformers, Star Wars, Star Trek, Battlestar Galactica, Gundam, Captain Harlock, Space Cruiser Yamato and whatever else crossover museum for us old school toy lovers!

Ok, just won my second Holy Grail...the massive 1985 GI Joe USS Flagg!

I always wanted to see what the deck of a Flagg would look like littered with Valkyries and soon I'll get to do it and you better believe that I'll be taking some pics of it all.

What do you guys think?

Congrats, once again! Definitely post up the pics with the Valkyries on deck!

That's Awesome! Nothing like owning an original. I personally will be satisfied with the reissue, but the original is a piece of nostalga. Nothing beats the original boxes! I remember staring at all those pictures on the Valkyrie Factory so many years ago, hoping some day that I could afford those valks. Now I got most of them (I have all the reissues), so in a way a dream has come true for me too. You have a great find there my friend. :)

Randy

Congrats on the USS Flag. I used to launch my 1/55 Takatokus off of mine. Before my father gave away all my GI Joe stuff.

Man, had I kept it all, it'd be worth a few thousands on Ebay right now I'm sure. I made $3k on my old Star Wars collection!

H

Edited by Hurin