The Unofficial Macross Sight Gag Thread

OK- Here's the deal: This thread is to post discoveries of Macross sight gags, cameos and other tidbits and then discuss, argue and debate if it is actually a sight gag or not.

When referencing a potential sight gag, cameo or otherwise, please include the timecode and, if possible, screenshots, which I will link to in the appropriate place.

I will keep a log below, and edit in any new information as it crops up.

So, without any further ado:

SUPER DIMENSION FORTRESS MACROSS*

Episode 1: Booby Trap

Timecode: Unknown

When Hikaru flashes back to Fokker in a replica biplane, the plane has "Kawamori" and "Haru/Hal" written on it. ("Hal" is how Haruhiko Mikimoto often signs his work.)

Episode 2: Countdown/Count Down

Episode 3: Space Fold

Among the ARMD's and Oberth-class ships are what appear to be regular sea-going aircraft carriers, floating in space.

Episode 4: Lynn Minmay

Episode 5: Transformation/Trans Formation

Episode 6: Daedalus Attack/Daidalos Attack

Episode 7: Bye-Bye Mars (Mars)

Episode 8: Longest Birthday

Episode 9: Miss Macross

"MBS" stands for "Macross Broadcast System" but is also a reference to Mainichi Broadcast System, on which SDF Macross originally aired.

Episode 10: The Blind Game/Blind Game (Prisoner No. 1)

This is the episode with the ASCII Star Trek game.

The name of the Cat's Eye pilot is "H. Iwata"; Hiroshi Iwata was the producer from Anime Friend who worked on Macross.

Episode 11: First Contact

Max dons the Zentradi outfit on his battroid in a Zentradi bathroom. (I'd catagorize this one as a sight gag.)

Episode 12: The Big Escape/Big Escape (Protoculture)

Episode 13: Blue Wind (Return My Home)

Episode 14: Global Report/Growbal Report

Episode 15: China Town

"Sex-valk"- What appears to be a very Roy-looking CF pilot with either a Misa-looking girl, or Misa-pinup in the beck of the valk, with the words "SEX" or "SEXY" (with a stylized "Y" made from the symbols for man and woman) underneath the cockpit and on the nose of the VF.

post-25-1079671611.jpg

Episode 16: Kung-Fu Dandy (Anti-Warrior)

Episode 17: Phantasm/Fantasm

Episode 18: Pineapple Salad/Pine Salad

Episode 19: Burst Point (Barrier Burst)

Episode 20: Paradise Lost

Episode 21: Micro-Cosmos/Micro Cosmos (Macro Cosmos)

Episode 22: Love Concert

Episode 23: Dropout/Drop Out (Fire Storm)

Episode 24: Good-Bye Girl

Episode 25: Virgin Road

Episode 26: The Messenger/Messenger

Ishiguro, Mikimoto, Kawamori, and Itano's names show up on a billboard advertising a sexy movie.

Episode 27: Love Goes Away/Aiwa Nagareru (Chorus Track)

3 Blue Phalanx Destroids, a VF-1A CF style and a black and red VF-1A with GBP armor. Blue Phalanx (bottom right) has the face of the girl from Daicon 4 with the letters "DC IV". Dark GBP-ish VF-1A has the name "Sukebe Itano", see discussiom below. Blue Phalanx (middle left) says "Mari Ijima", Minmay's voice actress. Blue Phalanx top-left says "Doi Mika", Misa's voice actress. Also written on the walls are what seem to be the words "Soul City (Animators?)" and "HAMMO (?)" with a face next to it.

post-25-1079671578.jpg

The "Orguss Valkyrie" makes it's first fateful appearance.

post-25-1079671532.jpg

Episode 28: My Album

Episode 29: Lonely Song

There's a watch designed by "Myd Sead", which refers to designer Syd Mead, who worked on Blade Runner, Alien, and other movies.

Episode 30: Viva Maria (Peaceful Baby)

Episode 31: Satan's Dolls/Satan Doll

Episode 32: Broken Heart

Episode 33: Rainy Night

Episode 34: Private Time

Episode 35: Romanesque (Passion Love)

Among the toys at the Lolicon 3's stand are: "Godzilla, Ironman No. 28/Gigantor, and Mighty Atom/Astroboy". There's also a reference to Tamiya and a Valkyrie toy with the logo "Harakiryu"--according to Egan (of the Macross Compendium), this is a combination of "Valkyrie" and "Harakiri".

Episode 36: Fly High/Yasashisa Sayonara

The rest of the Macross productions will be added soon!

*special thanks to the Macross Compendium for providing the episode titles.

Edited by the white drew carey

Episode 27: Love Goes Away/Aiwa Nagareru (Chorus Track)

3 Blue Phalanx Destroids, a VF-1A CF style and a black and red VF-1A with GBP armor. Blue Phalanx (bottom right) has the face of the girl from Daicon 4 with the letters "DO IV". Dark GBP-ish VF-1A has the name "Sukebe Itano", the Hikaru Ichijo voice actor. Blue Phalanx (middle left) says "Mari Ijima", Minmay's voice actress. Blue Phalanx top-left says "Doi Mika", Misa's voice actress. Also written on the walls are what seem to be the words "Soul City (Animators?)" and "HAMMO (?)" with a face next to it.

mcr254l.jpg

*special thanks to the Macross Compendium for providing the episode titles.

Its 'DCIV' not 'DOIV' this DAICON IV and the DAICON girl.

http://www.gainax.co.jp/soft/daicon/index.html

I think you might strain the forum software if you try to put all the easter eggs in one post. You might try making 36 placeholders and editing each one as necessary...

Anyway, here are links to gags that have been discussed before. Sorry, I know I'm already breaking the rules by not including timecodes.

"Hikaru's first kill". From Boobytrap. Names of buildings destroyed are various studios from Macross production; little critter painted on Studio Nue/Chimera building reacts with dismay as the Valk hits it; Kawamori seems to get killed or injured on his way into a "Privacy Box", i.e., house of ill-repute.

Also in that episode: Kawamori appears near the beginning in the crowd which has come to see the airshow.

Thread on random things people picked out in Macross. Not all of it is very specific but it might inspire people who have time to kill.

CORRECTION to the first post: Arihiro Hase was the VA for Hikaru. "Sukebe Itano" seems to be a reference to Ichiro Itanoh

Oh, and I'll add, vaguely, that there's at least one scene where the old ASCII-character-based Star Trek game appears on one of the bridge crew's video screens. Sorry, don't recall the episode.

Edited by ewilen

Stuff cribbed from the Animeigo liner notes:

Episode 1: When Hikaru flashes back to Fokker in a replica biplane, the plane has "Kawamori" and "Haru/Hal" written on it. ("Hal" is how Haruhiko Mikimoto often signs his work.)

Episode 9: "MBS" stands for "Macross Broadcast System" but is also a reference to Mainichi Broadcast System, on which SDF Macross originally aired.

Episode10: This is the episode with the ASCII Star Trek game.

The name of the Cat's Eye pilot is "H. Iwata"; Hiroshi Iwata was the producer from Anime Friend who worked on Macross.

Episode 11: Max dons the Zentradi outfit on his battroid in a Zentradi bathroom. (Is this an Easter Egg or just an obscure fact?)

Episode 18: The nurse, Mizuhara Haruka, is based on Matsuda Seiko. I don't know how you're supposed to be able to tell this. Maybe we can get a good screenshot of the nurse alongside a headshot of Matsuda. (BTW, isn't there a nurse that everyone has a crush on in Nadia and the Secret of Blue Water?) EDIT: Hey, I thought Minmay was based on Matsuda Seiko.

Episode 26: Ishiguro, Mikimoto, Kawamori, and Itano's names show up on a billboard advertising a sexy movie.

Episode 27: Hideaki Anno is apparently also referred to in the big destroid shot that's in the first post of this thread. (Probably the H.A. at the top.)

Episode 29: There's a watch designed by "Myd Sead", which refers to designer Syd Mead, who worked on Blade Runner, Alien, and other movies.

Episode 3: The fat bridge crewmember with glasses is named Machizaki Kenichi, a play on Matsuzaki Kenichi (script supervisor for SDF M). Matsuzaki also wears glasses (according to Egan) but I don't know if the physical resemblence goes beyond that.

Episode 35: Among the toys at the Lolicon 3's stand are: "Godzilla, Ironman No. 28/Gigantor, and Mighty Atom/Astroboy". There's also a reference to Tamiya and a Valkyrie toy with the logo "Harakiryu"--according to Egan, this is a combination of "Valkyrie" and "Harakiri".

Edited by ewilen

Stuff cribbed from the Animeigo liner notes:

Episode 26: Ishiguro, Mikimoto, Kawamori, and Itano's names show up on a billboard advertising a sexy movie.

...and the one with "Sukebe Itano".

Sukebe means lecherous or like a sex maniac.

Seems those guys are sukebe! :lol:

"Sex-valk"- What appears to be a very Roy-looking CF pilot with either a Misa-looking girl, or Misa-pinup in the beck of the valk, with the words "SEX" or "SEXY" (with a stylized "Y" made from the symbols for man and woman) underneath the cockpit and on the nose of the VF.

post-25-1079671611.jpg

Is it just me or does that "y" look kind of like the symbol Prince used as his name for a while?

post-25-1079671611.jpg

Is it just me or does that "y" look kind of like the symbol Prince used as his name for a while?

yup, stands for male

Dont Forget in macross plus hikarus vf-1j shows up. and the marry poppins cast in the airport.

LOL, I completely forgot about that one

I am currently trying to compile a list of "Macross Easter Eggs" onto my website

Macross Easter Egg Compendium, its very much a work in progress... I'm trying to gather a listing of each (including time stamp if possible), and a video screencap/rip of it.

Can I get in on this thread?

DOH. I don't have the set of SDF:M DVD's.

All I have is the set of Robotech: The Macross Saga DVD's.

The only problem will be the timeframe of the sight gags. :blink:

Can I get in on this thread?

DOH. I don't have the set of SDF:M DVD's.

All I have is the set of Robotech: The Macross Saga DVD's.

The only problem will be the timeframe of the sight gags. :blink:

Hey you have to remember I'm a RT fan also ;) I will probably be putting up a Robotech one too :D

In episode 1, during the slow motion sequence when Hikaru's comandeered VF-1D crashes through Minmei's wall, you can see a little plush rabbit doll fly from the top of Minmei's dresser. The rabbit's face turns into the Studio Nue "Chimera" as it flies toward the camera, mouth and eyes opening wide in surprise (similar to the scowling Chimera seen during "Hikaru's First Kill"). Has anyone else noticed that one?

It occurs at roughly 28:45 to 29:33, depending upon which version of discs you're watching (I'm watching some old Japanese [Tokuma Shoten] licensed VCD's, in which it occurs at ~29:32).

to all you computer savvy people out there... if possible, because I (like UN Spacy) don't own the Animego Macross DVDs.... could someone do "screen shots" for my website? It would be very much appreciated ^_^

heck even if you don't have a DVD player on your PC/Mac, but have a digital camera... you can take a pic of your TV screen, if possible set your shutter speed down to 1/15th or 1/30th of a second (and hold it real real still ;) )

Southcross - I could take screenies from my PC DVD, but it would have to wait till I finish my current project (a couple weeks.)

After I'm done, I'll take a look at what still needs to be captured and see what I can do for you.

Southcross - I could take screenies from my PC DVD, but it would have to wait till I finish my current project (a couple weeks.)

After I'm done, I'll take a look at what still needs to be captured and see what I can do for you.

thanks kewl... thanks DNA :)

I'm in no big rush, it gets done when it gets done.

• 11 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...