VB-6 Koenig Monster Box Art Contest

trueblueeyes

:) Please help us design box art for our VB-6 Koenig Monster Re-Cast kit!

This project came about because of a generous owner who was willing to loan a rare and expensive kit to be re-casted so that others could get a copy of the model they have always wanted. It goes with saying that the owner in addition to being a very nice guy is also a big Macross fan. :) That is why I have borrowed Mr. Carl Hoff's words: "For the fans, by the fans." I think it describes this project more eloquently than anything else I have heard or can say. To keep this a fully fan involved project, I'd like to have a contest where people submit their designs for the box art that will be featured on the final 1/100 VB-6 Koenig Monster Kit re-cast.

First, the prize: A new copy of the Transformers Genesis art book

shipped to the winner.

I won't be judging the contest myself. That will be left to the re-caster (MW's own

Valkyrie). That said, I'll bring this thread to his attention and let him set

the guidelines he feels fit the project best. I hope many of our talented MW

members choose to participate and I wish all of you luck! :) Thanks in advance

for taking the time to participate.

Some additional info about the kit (Which is an 1/100 scale IHP VB-6 Koenig

Monster...a kit based on the fully variable destroid monster first featured in

VF- X2) can be found in the original thread:

VB-6 Koenig Monster

with some info also being available in the order thread:

Monster Orders

If you have any other questions, please feel free to PM me!

Thanks,

Melissa

Edited by trueblueeyes

Thanks, Melissa!

Well, first of all, I don't yet have a box for the project, so I don't have any dimension guidelines to give just yet. But if I can get a large enough box from my current supplier, it should be similar to my VF-4 box, shown below (rectangular and front-opening)

I'll also post text guidelines in the near future also, but the obvious includes "VB-6 König Monster", "1/100 scale resin cast model kit", "Fully variable" (or something similar, etc. You might also get some text ideas from The Compendium.

Grayscale and color art are both acceptable. Lineart is pretty plentiful, but I know of few good color pics (one in the VF-X2 gallery comes to mind...). I have no pics to offer right now, but there's a wealth of lineart on pages 141 - 143 of Design Works.

I'm sure this will probably go without saying, but what I really want above all for this box art is a good, attractive design and layout. Just a bunch of cool pics isn't gonna win it :p

For a bit of comparison, below is the VF-4 box art that Nanashi designed for me a few months back. I think it's a very good, and rather classy design. He did a great job with it, I think.

You may choose to do something that's also simple and elegent, or something a little (or a lot) flashier. There isn't any one thing I'm looking for. So let's see what your imaginations can come up with :)

box1.jpg

box2.jpg

And while I'm at it, the original IHP box

post_8_80265_DSC01391.jpg

Hi Melissa,

I'll have a prototype design for you tommorow or Friday latest.

Matthias

Hello,

I'll gladly include a nice prize for the winner.

A brand new Master Grade Gundam kit, Hasegawa Macross model, or something similar. Whoever wins can let me know what they would prefer, within reason of course. ;)

With my luck, someone will be like, "I would really like a 1/48 VF-1S Hikaru Mint in Box with 1/48 Strike/Super Armor!" Well, let's be realistic, I'm not rich. :p

Good luck!

Sincerely,

Christopher B))

Heres a box cover entry, I have two or three designs, so here is the first, let me know what you think.

Thanks,

Matthias

post-5-1079638910_thumb.jpg

Edited by VF22Red

I am thinking about raising the 1:100 line on one side and the resin cast information on the other side of the UN Spacy Insignia.

I have another cover with just the Gerwalk configuration and the necesary info on it if you like I'll upload that alittle later because I want to tweek it some more.

Again Thanks,

Matthias

Yep five more sides, I am going to work on those tonight most likely definately this weekend.

Thanks or the compliments Ghadrack & Valkyrie.

Anyone have suggestions on changes feel free to let me know.

I should have the second box cover tommorow.

VF22Red,

Looks great so far, I'm looking forward to seeing the rest. :)

The way you have the various modes displayed, along with the thin black vertical line marking the separation between them, it almost looks like some of the lines flow onto the adjacent panel, as opposed to a clear delineation of each picture.

Perhaps you could position each mode so they do not share lines with an adjacent panel, or thicken the black separating line to prevent the appearance.

Just some suggestions. ;)

Sincerely,

Christopher B))

ChristopherB, I can see your point. I may make the line thicker or maybe seperate the pictures alittle to give more distinction. I got the pictures from my copy of Design Works, I just wish there was a larger variety of poses/shots of the Konig so I could try an different variety of angles to make the more distinctive in their respective modes.

I'll give it a shot and post it later on.

Thanks for the input!

Matthias

:lol:

Very nice VF22Red!! I don't know if you can see what I can see, but you know the Macross insignia on the bottom, what if you can enlarge it, put in the center and make it into a somewhat like a ghostly background image that doesn't interfere with the foreground.

Edited by Angel's Fury

Angel's Fury,

I've placed it there while I was working on it and it gets in the way of the three images, if you like I will show you what it looks like, it wouldn't be that much trouble.

I am going to do some work on it tonight and hopefully I have something more to show tommorow. I am going to work on the sides and the back, so most likely by Sunday I will have a complete box to show.

Like I have said earlier, I have two designs in the works, I should have this prototype done tonight.

Thanks for the input I really appreciate it. :D

Here is the second box design I was working on, I hope everyone likes it.

Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for everyones thoughts and comments so far,

Matthias

post-5-1079667500_thumb.jpg

According to the Macross design works book Konig doesn't have an E, same for the box from Liquid Stone.

On the sides I chose to show the Destroid mode because on the front is the Gerwalk and on the back is the Shuttle, the sides have less viewable space and the destroid has the slimist profile.

I thought to put the destroid there would make it as prevolent as the other modes.

Thank you for the imput, I appreciate it.

Matthias

Edited by VF22Red

I see your point and stand corrected on the E. Cutting the Destroid in half by the seem takes away from the beauty of it. Can you perhaps move the picture over so we can see most of the torso centered. It might cut into the words on the sides. or take a verticle center cut section of the Destroid art and place it on the sides.

I personally love the first design for the top of the box. The 3 modes really spells "variable".

I am going to continue further with the other design, you are right though, I am going to move the Destroid over to show more of it.

I am going to work on the other design this weekend, hopefully that design will be done on Sunday.

Again thanks for the input and advice. :D

I am also looking very forward to seeing other designs by other talented Macrossworld members.

Matthias

EDIT:

As Neova pointed out the box would look better if the Destroid were more shown on the sides so here is what it looks like with that edit...

post-5-1079672042_thumb.jpg

Edited by VF22Red

Here's a prelim. run on my submission. I don't have a "VB-6" logo on there yet (still working on it) and I'm looking for a UN Spacy logo, but I'm having a hard time finding one I can use. I will soon have all the panels and even the bottom worked out, but here is a brief taste. The Animeigo DVDs kinda gave me the idea. This is my first time to ever attempt anything like this... I've had Adobe photoshop for ages, but I've never worked with it before, looks like my competition is pretty tough!

post-5-1079688158_thumb.jpg

Edited by Skull Leader

Do you want me to send you a UN Spacy Logo? I created mine in Illustrator so it will work fine in your photoshop. PM me you email and I will be happy to send it to you.

It is a great start for a first time user of the program!

Matthias

Edited by VF22Red

I am glad you all like it, I am having fun working on this. :D

I am going to have the other box design ready Sunday, if all goes well. :D

VF22Red,

The revised side panels look great since you moved the Destroid over!

With regard to the large image of the VB-6 on the main panel, is it possible to move it slightly to the left so that more, if not all of the arm shows up? It looks like you can slide it over until the main cannons reach the edge. If you were to also shift the image up, it looks like most, if not all of the foot will become visible.

Once that is done, you can adjust the text as needed.

I don't mean to seem like I'm critiquing the work you are doing, I'm just trying to help. What you have done looks awesome, and I definitely do not have the talent that you apparently do, to come up with such a cool looking design. ;)

Good luck to all contestants!

Sincerely,

Christopher B))

ChristopherB,

Shifting the VB6 isn't a problem at all, I'll have a new version up later today with that edit.

Thanks for the imput, I am really happy that so many people have given insight and advise to help improve on the design, I really appreciate it. :D

Again thanks,

Matthias

Here's the edit:

post-5-1079725927_thumb.jpg

Yeah I agree, this ones done. Got to get started working on my first design now.