INNOCENCE

Valkyrie Hunter D

Title: INNOCENCE

Copyright: 2003

Size: 13.5 x 10.25 x 0.5 in

Pages: 120

Cover Price: ¥3400

ISBN: 4-04-853663-X

On a whim, I picked up my copy of INNOCENCE from San Jose's anime mainstay, Nikaku Animart, for $46. Calling it a book would be kind of a stretch since there's hardly any text at all. Covering works from 1994 through 2003, INNOCENCE is a collection of over 180 illustrations by the perennial anime artist, Haruhiko Mikimoto. The bulk of the book consists of beautifully illustrated pictures of young girls and Mikimoto's mastery of watercolors and pastels shows in each one. Familiar faces from Gundam, Gunbuster, Orguss, and the Record of Lodoss War can be found (Deedlit by Mikimoto is really nice). The Macross section is relatively big with some rarely seen drawings. By comparing older drawings of Minmay from his older books to the ones found in INNOCENCE, one can really see how much Mikimoto's renditions have changed, yet still retain the same style. The theme of innocence rings true through the whole collection, there's nothing really racy or ecchi about this book making it great for any coffee table. If you want to see why Haruhiko Mikimoto has remained such a big name within the anime industry, be sure to pick this book up when hits comic book shops this spring.

Page sample:

post-15-1078941001_thumb.jpg

Of course I can't find one online. <_<

Akadot has them backordered, but at least listed, so I put an order in. Unless I find one somewhere else.

OMG this book kicks @$$!! I love this book. Man, I bought this book online from some guy who just wanted to sell it. I got it for only 30 bucks shipped. It was worth 30 bucks only because it was kinda wrinkled here and there. Since I found it at a local Book store in LA, I might pick up a minty mint copy just so I can keep one in mint condition so that one day when mikimoto ever comes back to the anime expo, I can get it autographed and possibly a quick sketch of minmay like I did with my illustrations book! :p:D:lol:

• 4 weeks later...

Got mine in last week. Wonderful book. Outstanding spread of pics. The were pics form some shows I wouldn't have expected too which was a nice surprize.

This really should be high on people's "to-buy" lists. It is well worth it.

Once again, elf chicks rule.

Edited by Anubis

• 1 month later...

I still need to buy my second copy. There's about 3 more left at the store I go to, but it's 50.00 bucks. If anybody wants one, let me know. :p:D:lol:

• 2 weeks later...
Yup my has this book, it very nice with these beautiful pics in it :)

Love that Deedlit :)

wait, was that deedlit drawing just for show, or did he really work on that series?

wait, was that deedlit drawing just for show, or did he really work on that series?

I'll share what I know. I may be guessing on a couple points. All of the Lodoss art was apparently for a magazine called The Sneaker. Never heard of it before and after checking, it looks to be a book magazine of some kind. What is interesting is that that Deedlit picture is also used on the inside cover of the Dreamcast ROLW game from a few years back. In the list of works section of Innocence, that picture isn't referenced with the game. Mikimoto also did the cover art for the game, although it didn't make it's way into Innocence.

What's more interesting is that a new illustration? can be found in a recent issue of The Sneaker published after Innocence and it does mention 'a game'. I haven't seen the new illustration yet.

Kadokawa Publishing Co., Ltd. "new lodoss island game description" Mizuno "the sneaker" it is good the work (illustration)

This just hit me like a ton of bricks today. Most if not all of the Lodoss art in Innocence is from a series of novels that can be seen here http://www.lodossdreams.net/records/novel/nrolw.html

Amazon had four novels listed (minus the prelude novel) and the description above about the 'new lodoss island game' I'm guessing is for a fifth book. I now doubt the game part of the translation has anything to do with the DC game or a new video game.

Also found this image on yahoo auctions not long ago. This art is not in Innocence nor have I seen it anywhere else. Perhaps it's for the 5th novel?

post-15-1088550119_thumb.jpg

Edited by halfan

• 1 month later...

My Lodoss novels arrived and I can safely say there are several illustrations not in Innocence, one of which I'm attaching below. There are several pencil drawings throughout each book which is nice :D That picture I attached in my other post is in one of the four novels. The novels take place after the tv and oav series. I don't know much beyond that. The only illustration I have yet to place is the first one in Innocence (big two page spread with Narse the black dragon). It was created over a year after the last novel was released. Perhaps that is one that will be used for the imminent 5th novel. I find it somewhat creepy the day I discovered the novels is two years to the day the last of the four was released. Two years prior to that is the date the Dreamcast ROLW game was released (with Mikimoto's cover art) :blink:

Also if anyone follows Ecole du Ciel, the 4th volume is scheduled to be released on 7/26/04 :)

post-15-1089413980_thumb.jpg

Edited by halfan