1/72 Hasegawa VF-0S Step-by-step...

wm cheng

Thanks so much Jim,

It means a lot. I have just recently heard of the ARC site through David H. our resident aircraft expert around here - and I am checking it out - very nice site. I'd like to learn more about real world aircraft too and apply it to these Macross models.

Please consider posting some of your work here too.

Looking forward to it.

Wm

I just wished I had more time to do more models more frequently!

Rate it in terms of what?

Detail or accuracy: 9.5 (excellent engraved details)

Seams or fit: 8

Engineering: 9.5

Difficulty to assemble: 3 (easy)

Paint: 1 (very easy - all white :p )

I'd say the VF-1 fighter was the easiest to build and would recommend as a beginner model - all you have to do is paint it white and everything else could be done with decals.

You're right, 1/72 scale is much smaller, a lot of weathering techniques for larger scales don't look right in 1/72 scale, I had to re-learn/experiment with a lot of techniques before I can get something I liked that looked proper in this scale. I had to forgo some weathering like watermarks in 1/72 scale, that I find only sucessfully achieved in 1/32 scale. From what I gather 1/35 scale is military tanks and vehicles, not many planes made in that scale - so aircraft weathering is pretty different from vehicular weathering - a lot less drybrushing.

Good luck & post...

Wm Cheng,

I'm back...with many questions, and I apologize

in advance for the sloppy images, but if you could

give me a hand here on a couple of unsure things,

I'd be most appreciative.

I'll just post the pics, and you can reply when you have

time...thanks again for the help, and I apologize in advance

if you have answered these questions.

Really sorry for the repetition...I'm in kind of a hurry!

Best regards,

Jim

post-23-1106163163_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jim C

Hmm... I read through this whole thread a couple of days ago and I'm fairly sure that the explanations you're after were in the posts you must have gone past to get the images...

As far as I remember, the shading was done by airbrushing a dark shade (probably smoke, I guess) into the edges, the blocking in the wing gap is a bit of pretextured styrene sheet cut to fit and the magnets are for allowing the FAST packs to be detached and fitted without spoiling the look of the thing when they're not on. Off the top of my head.

Yep, you've got it Sar.

The extra "revit" details are actually already on the kit, just really faintly (I guess the way its released from the molds) all I did was use a pin-vise with a very small bit and drilled out the faint impressions. I only made an indent, I didn't drill all the way through. Very easy, because its very soft plastic.

The shading is done after I did a black oil wash on the parts to pick out the detail. Then I airbrushed really thinned flat black and just airbrushed where I wanted the shading to be. I immediately protected this very thin delicate layer with a semi-gloss clear-coat when I was happy with the finish.

The little "fence" after the wing sweep is a piece of corrugated styrene that you could pick up at most hobby/train supply stores - there are quite a variety of textures to choose from.

The magnets (rare-earth magnets to be exact - very strong, its needed since there's a bit of plastic to work through) are in the leg portion, and the steel washers are on the back of the fast pack portion so that they will become removeable after the model is built.

Good luck, lets see some pics... :p

The magnets (rare-earth magnets to be exact - very strong, its needed since there's a bit of plastic to work through) are in the leg portion, and the steel washers are on the back of the fast pack portion so that they will become removeable after the model is built.

Wm Cheng,

I have to admit that this is my first foray into the Macross world, so please be gentle...

Do these things "transform" into some kind of techno-robot thing, which is why you folks

refer to "heads" and "legs"? Is that what battroid mode is? Is there a movie based on this,

maybe with English sub-titles?

Thanks again for any help (and by the way, I still have to procure one of these...tomorrow,

if I can get out of the house).

Jim

Edited by Jim C

Wm Cheng,

I have to admit that this is my first foray into the Macross world, so please be gentle...

Do these things "transform" into some kind of techno-robot thing, which is why you folks

refer to "heads" and "legs"? Is that what battroid mode is? Is there a movie based on this,

maybe with English sub-titles?

Thanks again for any help (and by the way, I still have to procure one of these...tomorrow,

if I can get out of the house).

Jim

The vf-0S is from Macross zero (5 episodes home video anime).

It can transform in Gerwalk and Battorid modes

Gerwalk is basically a fighter with legs and arms

This is the battroid

vf-0_battroid.gif

You can find all the pics here keep in mind that the cg model of the 0S in the site is old, watch the others version too.

Edited by Ido

Ido,

Thanks much for the help...

That puts things into perspective.

Unfortunately, I am not able to get Macross kits here in the US (at least

not Hasegawa, anyway), as there apparently was an "issue" between

Bandai (who actually held licensing for Macross) and Hasegawa, who

apparently did NOT have a license deal with the Macross stuff, so Hasegawa

is not allowed to import their Macross kits to the US.

No big deal, as I just ordered from HLJ, but it's still

kind of a pain.

Jim

Ido,

Thanks much for the help...

That puts things into perspective.

Unfortunately, I am not able to get Macross kits here in the US (at least

not Hasegawa, anyway), as there apparently was an "issue" between

Bandai (who actually held licensing for Macross) and Hasegawa, who

apparently did NOT have a license deal with the Macross stuff, so Hasegawa

is not allowed to import their Macross kits to the US.

No big deal, as I just ordered from HLJ, but it's still

kind of a pain.

Jim

I think is an Harmony Gold copyright issue, Bandai don't care about Macross anymore.

HG cause a lot of problem when a Macross product must be realesed outside Japan, but there is surely someone who can explain you far better then me here. :p

• 7 years later...