Macross Cosplay

Commander McBride

OK, the girl doing the Battle of the bands show on thursday had a cute Sheryl cosplay on, and she was pretty cute, but did get a pic of her. There was a pic that a friend took of the Ranka cosplay that I'll hopefully get soon.

OK, the girl doing the Battle of the bands show on thursday had a cute Sheryl cosplay on, and she was pretty cute, but did get a pic of her. There was a pic that a friend took of the Ranka cosplay that I'll hopefully get soon.

You know I'm demanding a pic ASAP :D

Post it when you can Bro!!!! B))

DSC08498.jpg

Basara???

DSC08576.jpg

Sheryl

These are the only ones I was able to see. There was another Sheryl and a Ranka at Battle of the Bands, but was unable to get a pic. Hopefully someone else got those.

BEST. SHERYL. COSPLAY. EVER.

She captures the look of the Galactic Fairy PERFECTLY.

YAHK DECULTURE!!! Thx to the folks at the cosplay and animesuki forums for the pics.

post-31-1247339258_thumb.jpg

post-31-1247339270_thumb.jpg

post-31-1247339287_thumb.jpg

post-31-1247339310_thumb.jpg

post-31-1247339321_thumb.jpg

post-31-1247339344_thumb.jpg

post-31-1247339380_thumb.jpg

post-31-1247339392_thumb.jpg

post-31-1247339408_thumb.jpg

post-31-1247339429_thumb.jpg

post-31-1247339444_thumb.jpg

post-31-1247339461_thumb.jpg

post-31-1247339474_thumb.jpg

post-31-1247339484_thumb.jpg

post-31-1247339497_thumb.jpg

post-31-1247339507_thumb.jpg

post-31-1247339528_thumb.jpg

post-31-1247339540_thumb.jpg

post-31-1247339551_thumb.jpg

post-31-1247339563_thumb.jpg

post-31-1247339574_thumb.jpg

post-31-1247339586_thumb.jpg

Edited by UN Spacy

I think we all need to take a moment to salute the female Macross fandom.

I mean - how many other fandoms - Star Wars, Star Trek, Transformers - whatever - have such a huge lot of gorgeous babes who dress up in skimpy clothing and lewd poses completely for free just so we can worship their awesomeness?

Macross Women: I salute you!

Pete

BEST. SHERYL. COSPLAY. EVER.

She captures the look of the Galactic Fairy PERFECTLY.

YAHK DECULTURE!!! Thx to the folks at the cosplay and animesuki forums for the pics.

I also saw these photos on animesuki. It's the best looking Sheryl and Ranka cosplay that I saw so far.

It's ideal, sexy, hot. Simply perfect...

I doubt that they or other Macross Frontier Cosplayers are fans at all. Plenty of people who dress up as whats in right now without knowing what they are doing.

Hm...sexy women who dress up in sleezy outfits that mirror my favorite anime characters and are clueless as to what they are doing?

PERFECT! :)

Pete

Wow, this thread just took a huge nosedive into typical cosplay thread sleaziness. Nice one. Reminds me of the time I was in a cosplay parade just a few feet behind a cute girl. One could actually hear the cameras shutters triple in frequency once she was in range and slow again once she wasn't, despite many elaborate costumes behind her. Never before had I so clearly seen the real reason so many photographers are into it.

It's a nice cosplay, but do we really need to outright destroy the already thinly vialed reason why most of you are looking at it. :roll:

Might I also add to the list of "that photoshop" It definitely looks like "perfection" has been tweaked a bit. Nothing uncommon I suppose. ^_^

Though all in good fun I suppose.

Focker's right about some people being not familiar with what they do. Some just want to join in and pick some that looks good to them. Others merely stick to what they "pull off" despite favorite character. I've noticed a lot of Ranka's that would probably never "pull off" Sheryl and vice versa. I only know one person that's done both, and I didn't recognize her in her Sheryl outfit. Though judging by the number of costumes, I'd say she's a fan or knows someone who is. He's also right about how she mostly comes off as. Not that anyone is complaining.

Edited by Mercurial Morpheus

Why is it sleazy to have a cosplayer who looks good AND has a pretty accurate costume(s)?

It's not like she just has on a sheryl wig and random skimpy clothes or anything, those are the outfits sheryl wears in the show and in promotional art.

Edited by eugimon

Gotta agree with uber-mod Roy here. Sheryl and Ranka are the new Tifa and Aeris. They're recognizable and popular, and fairly easy to cosplay. There weren't hordes of girls playing FF7 all of a sudden, and there's not a ton watching Macross now.

Why is it sleazy to have a cosplayer who looks AND has a pretty accurate costume(s)?

For that matter - why is "sleazy" somehow "bad?" I like sleezy women :)

And Eugi is right - all of those pics show her in clothes that Sheryl wore on the show.

Personally - I hate cosplay where you have a hot babe and then some random purple dress or white dress or whatever because "Sheryl wears a purple dress." It looks lazy. It looks like a Toynami valkyrie - aka - it looks like a valkyrie if you drink enough beer and squint.

Cosplayers who make the effort to:

a) acquire/create a costume that is anime accurate

b) acquire/attain the services of someone who KNOWS how to use a camera

c) do a photo shoot

are to be commended. I mean - it's not like all those awesome Sheryl pictures just got randomly made in the span of half an hour.

Somebody put a lot of work into those - and the girl is hot, but ultimately - she's also Sheryl.

As to whether they do it to be "popular" or out of love of Macross...

I dunno but... I kind'a get the feeling that this girl is only going to be popular amongst Macross fans. I mean - why take all that time to put on the perfect Sheryl outfit, to mimic her facial expressions and poses - if it's just meant to be popular and considered sexy?

The girl could have just taken some pictures of herself in a bikini or some lingerie and posted them on the net or whatever...

But she made the effort to be Sheryl - I think that's great:)

Pete

YEAH THE ONLY GOOD COSPLAYERS ARE THE FAT UGLY ONES THAT ARE "TRUE" FANS!

/sarcasm

Ummm, people that cosplay do it to be looked at. Sheryl is attractive in the show, so naturally an attractive woman makes a good Sheryl. Who cares whether they like the show or not? If their costume looks good and is anime accurate, good for them. Besides, people are making assumptions about the cosplayers that they can't possibly back up...

Taking pictures of attractive people? Unthinkable... :rolleyes:

Why is it sleazy to have a cosplayer who looks good AND has a pretty accurate costume(s)?

It's not like she just has on a sheryl wig and random skimpy clothes or anything, those are the outfits sheryl wears in the show and in promotional art.

I'm not saying she's sleazy. I agreed that her costumes are great, and she is rather pretty, probably not needing the assistance from the shoddy camera work and possibly airbrushing. I wasn't talking about her, I was talking about the gushing over her. I'm saying the thread went from a cosplay one to a "let's ogle hot girls who are in cosplay" one in feel that I've seen elsewhere. Not the first time too. There's been plenty of nice costume work barely commented on because it wasn't perfect or being worn by a goddess. It's not the costume that's sleazy, it's the absolute drooling that's going on just because a good looking women is portraying a popular character. Nothing wrong with that, of course a woman like that's going to get attention, but the last few posts before mine read like something out of your typical "Hot women" thread. This entire page was just comments on how gorgeous the girl was. Okay, we get it, she's hot. Don't switch on me and try to say it's the costumes' accuracy that's driving your appreciation now that I've called you on it. :rolleyes: I hate lack of effort too, VRTR1, but none of this read as costume appreciation until I came in. I love hot women too, and agree that she's one of the sexier one, if not a little hookerish as Roy joked, but leave it for a thread about them. Here it's just creepy, as it looks like it the only reason were posting the pics. "Does this Sheryl 'do it' for you?" Do what? ;)

I think you miss the point, Max. I was joking around about the double standard of most cosplay photographers. Ie. They claim to be photographers of good cosplay, but in actuality, they're really photographers of cute girls, using cosplay as an excuse. Hence all these great costumes roll by with a few snaps, and suddenly a cute redhead in a fairly simple blue dress walks by and you can't count the flashes. Of course more attractive people get more pics. It's the definition of "attractive". It's not that the only good cosplayers are "fat, ugly ones" that love the show, it's that those fat, ugly ones can make good costumes too, but no one cares because the ones wearing them are, well, fat and ugly. Sheryl's attractive in the show, does that mean only attractive women make good Sheryl costumes and should portray her? That a great Sheryl costume on a hot woman is automatically superior to a great one on a average or *gasp* homely woman. A pot-bellied Sheryl might not be anime accurate or as pleasing to the eye, but credit most still be given if she did a good job regardless. It's that mentality that's the reason so many threads get started on Cosplay.com asking who they "look like". Basically, there's more focus on who's wearing the costume versus the costume itself. Understandable as it's human nature, but rather lame at times since I though we were discussing costumes, not how hot the Macross girl fandom is. Is this "Macross Cosplay" or "Hot Macross Cosplayers"? I've seen some well done Sheryl outfits get labeled "ok" just because the girl wearing it isn't the stuff wet dreams are made of. Nothing wrong going gaga over a hot Sheryl, just try to restrain yourselves, guys and not make it so obvious that that's the reason you're looking at the pics.

People also cosplay for different reasons. Some just do it for fun, others like myself to celebrate a favorite character. Not everyone does it to scream "look at me." I forgot to add that given the number of costumes she has, I wasn't agreeing that she feel into that category, just that it does exist, so I'd edited my previous comment to reflect that. There's nothing wrong with it, but it is a different philosophy as to why they do it. I merely added the observation that a lot of the ones I've seen tend to stick to their body style. It really struck me at Fanime how all the Ranka's were petite, cutesy girls, while most of the Sheryls were tall, glamorous types. By comparison, this Ranka certainly doesn't fit the bill, but it's a great costume. It simply made me wonder if they were doing it because she's their favorite, or they simply liked the show and went with whomever. Sort of how when I'm in my SMS jacket, I'm effectively Ozma given my appearance. I know a Sheryl fan that cosplays Ranka (which, given the shipping wars hurt my brain for awhile). Nothing wrong either way, but an interesting observation.

Though count me in as one that feels you should be familiar with what your cosplaying. Otherwise taking shots like that really feel like it's just for the appeal. :blink: Okay, I'm getting way too verbose here, but I just pained me a bit to see this thread look like a 4chan thread where all they do is ogle hot girls in costume. Admire all you want, she is sexy and I know it's mostly in jest, hence my all in good fun comment. Just remember that we're better than that.

Edited by Mercurial Morpheus