Returner ( リターナー )
Toho Films/Pony Canyon, 2002
Destination Films/Columbia Tri-Star Home Video, 2004
Directed by Takashi Yamazaki (Juvenile, Onimusha 3)

Running Time: 116 minutes
Rated R for extreme violence and gore, mature situations and strong language.

Cast
Takeshi Kaneshiro as Miyamoto
Ann Suzuki (young Hatsue in Snow Falling on Cedars) as Milly
Goro Kishitani as Mizoguchi
Kirin Kiki as Xie
Yukiko Okamoto as Dr. Yagi

Synopsis
A.D. 2084 - Mankind is on the verge of extinction at the hands of an advanced alien race. As the alien forces crush the Earth resistance's final stronghold in Tibet, a girl named Milly jumps into a portal that sends her back into time.

October 19, 2002 - Miyamoto, a hired assassin, is in the middle of killing crime lord Mizoguchi when he shoots Milly, mistaking her for a thug. After Mizoguchi escapes, Miyamoto finds out that Milly is unhurt. She then tricks him into embarking on a dangerous mission as a means of preventing the war on her timeline from happening.

Lowdown
Take one part Terminator 2: Judgment Day, one part Men In Black and one part Independence Day, mix it with The Matrix and you've got one of the most explosive blockbuster films to come out of the Far East. Returner is filled with non-stop action and spectacular special effects. No stuntmen in rubber monster suits here - Returner uses a lot of computer-generated effects that look like they came from Hollywood. Many of the alien battle scenes are reminiscent of The Terminator and Independence Day. The fight scenes and gun fights have shades of The Matrix and a handful of John Woo's films.

As for the story, it's actually pretty good. Unlike most of the newer sci-fi films, you can get into Returner's plot and characters. If not, at least the action makes up for it.

Returner will not win any points for originality, but if you want a popcorn film that kicks major ass, look no further. Proof that Tokyo can also produce high-caliber science fiction and go head-on with Hollywood.

Rating: B

Sub vs. Dub
Returner should be played in its original Japanese track, as it's pretty complex with the alien battle scenes in English and the Triad lord scenes in Mandarin. The English dub does away with the Mandarin dialogues, not to mention that redubbing a scene that was originally recorded in English is pointless.

DVD Extras: A-
Columbia Tri-Star's DVD release has a behind-the-scenes look at the movie, as well as interviews with director Yamazaki and Ann Suzuki. There's also a montage of comparisons between composite shots and clips from the final product.

Links
Official Returner Homepage (Japanese)
Sony Pictures' Official Returner Homepage

Reference
The Internet Movie Database

Edited by areaseven

I just picked up this DVD a couple of week ago (along with Versus). It turned out to be a decent film but nothing memorable since The Matrix came out. :ph34r: I ended up liking Vesus a lot more. :D

I was wondering how this movie was, looked pretty good from the TV comvericals. Will have to pick this up if I ever get a chance to go to the store. Is it subbed or dubbed? Or maybe cast does both japanese and english tracks?

The DVD features the original Japanese (with some English, as there are a lot of American actors) dialogue, an English dub that's okay, and a French dub that I haven't played yet.

I got this DVD a couple weeks ago... honestly it's rather...well...um...bland and average as these things go...the cigar chomping weapons/information broker little old woman was my favorite character.

The special effects are all CGI, and like everything CGI these days are technicaly well done, but completely lack all the charm, magic, and enthusiasm of physical models and/or men in suits (I'm prolly in a minority, but I'm so sick of CGI these days :p )

The story overall is okay, but very predictable and kinda drags in places...action scenes were done pretty well I guess, but nothing really stands out...

Overall the film is middle of the road for me...not really good, and not really bad...If the film had taken itself far less seriously I would prolly like it better...

The special effects are all CGI, and like everything CGI these days are technicaly well done, but completely lack all the charm, magic, and enthusiasm of physical models and/or men in suits (I'm prolly in a minority, but I'm so sick of CGI these days :p )

Yup, I'm with you there, bring back models, epecially model space ships.

Graham

There's a transforming 747 in this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

SPOILER ALERT!!!

The alien forces have advanced drop ships disguised as normal aircraft. During the Tibet invasion, the ship infiltrates the Earth resistance's base by disguising itself as a Harrier.

In the middle of the film, a Japan Airlines 747 (don't know the exact model; help me out, David Hingtgen) flies on the background in various scenes. After Miyamoto kills Mizoguchi, the 747 hovers in front of Miyamoto and Milly before transforming into a giant insect-like mecha.

pic02.jpg

• 4 months later...
does this movie end with the main character dying and the minor character poping up and saving the day? I'm getting sick of seeing this plot effect.

Kind of, sort of...

SPOILER ALERT!!! Do not read unless you've seen the movie.

On Milly's second night in Miyamoto's apartment, Miyamoto catches her fiddling around with his trenchcoat. The next morning, before leaving, Miyamoto sees on the floor a photo of himself lying dead on the streets. Attached to it is a news article on him getting shot by an unknown assailant.

At the end of the movie, Miyamoto gives up being an assassin for hire. As he's walking, he confronts the thug he shot on the leg at the beginning of the film. Miyamoto realizes that he no longer has guns; and because of this, he easily gets shot on the chest by the thug, who promptly runs away.

Two minutes later, Miyamoto wakes up, wondering why he's still alive. From the inner pocket of his trenchcoat, he finds a steel plate that blocked the bullet. He sees a note on the other side:

"I've paid you back. - Milly

It's here we find out that while Milly was sleeping in the apartment, a second Milly arrived to prevent Miyamoto's murder after the primary mission.