Nadia and the Secret of Plagiarism

ewilen

Currently watching Nadia and it seems like so much is influenced by other anime. Doesn't Nemo look like Global? Nautilus is vaguely Macross-like (though possibly more like another 70's-80's spaceship--I forget which one). Nadia and Jean look like Miyazaki characters (and Jean especially seems like a copy of Tombo from Kiki's Delivery Service). A white lion? Etc.

Is this series well known for having a lot of references to other anime?

Currently watching Nadia and it seems like so much is influenced by other anime. Doesn't Nemo look like Global? Nautilus is vaguely Macross-like (though possibly more like another 70's-80's spaceship--I forget which one). Nadia and Jean look like Miyazaki characters (and Jean especially seems like a copy of Tombo from Kiki's Delivery Service). A white lion? Etc.

Is this series well known for having a lot of references to other anime?

The story to Nadia is also very reminiscent of another Miazaki film; namely Laputa.

But all your points are on the money. Personally, I believe it's more of an homage, then plagiarism.

You must also remember the Japanese view this. What we call rip-offs, or plagiarism, they may see it as flattery (remember the term "Imitation is the highest form of flattery).

Which is also why a lot of people in Japan never cried foul about that Disney movie Atlantis.

See, GAINAX is what happens when you let fans make anime. I mean look at Otaku no Video, thats roughly (and i mean roughly) the story of GAINAX. At least, the fan animation part. I mean if Macross fans were to make anime, I take it there would be a nod or two to other Macross series in one form or another.

In Eva GAINAX gave a a nod to the Eye of Folger from Giant Robo with one of the Angels (the spider one) just to another GAINAX nod.

The story to Nadia is also very reminiscent of another Miazaki film; namely Laputa.

But all your points are on the money. Personally, I believe it's more of an homage, then plagiarism.

You must also remember the Japanese view this. What we call rip-offs, or plagiarism, they may see it as flattery (remember the term "Imitation is the highest form of flattery).

Which is also why a lot of people in Japan never cried foul about that Disney movie Atlantis.

Both animated works have taken inspirations from 19th century science-fiction stories, with leanings to Jules Verne. Both producers from both have stated that, at least as far as I know.

The Japanese, however, did cry foul on the Lion King, saying that they ripped it off from Jungle Emperor Leo, or its official English name Kimba the White Lion. A Japanese friend of mine was upset about it, when she and I exchange rants about anime.

Matthew Broderick, who voiced Simba in the Lion King, stated in an interview that he thought Disney was remaking Kimba the White Lion even though Disney says they are not. Kinda sad that few Americans know the 1966 anime show since the show haven't been in reruns for 30 years. <_<

Well, the studio that made Nadia was known to be staffed by a bunch of otaku.

Also, there wasn't much said about Atlantis, I think that's because people realized both Nadia and Atlantis were simply drawing from the same inspiration (Verne and other turn of the century adventure fiction). There was an outcry against the Lion King, including a boycott by much of the Japanese animation industry.

Matthew Broderick, who voiced Simba in the Lion King, stated in an interview that he thought Disney was remaking Kimba the White Lion even though Disney says they are not. Kinda sad that few Americans know the 1966 anime show since the show haven't been in reruns for 30 years. <_<

I love the Simpson bit in the episode where Bleeding Gums dies. "Kimba... I mean Simba, my son..."

I love the Simpson bit in the episode where Bleeding Gums dies. "Kimba... I mean Simba, my son..."

:lol: Very funny.

The thought of that makes me want to buy some Kimba anime (Right Stuf and Pioneer has them IIRC) and show the stuff to my nephew and nieces.

I love the Simpson bit in the episode where Bleeding Gums dies.  "Kimba... I mean Simba, my son..."

:lol: Very funny.

The thought of that makes me want to buy some Kimba anime (Right Stuf and Pioneer has them IIRC) and show the stuff to my nephew and nieces.

A few years ago they had a tshirt going around (I remember seeing at a Kinokuniya Bookstore, maybe at Kimono My House too) and it had a picture of Kimba looking into a mirror and seeing Simba and saying something like "Mirror, mirror on the wall.. who's the real one afterall?"

The Miyazaki-style similarities is due to the fact that Nadia was originally going to be a Miyazaki project, that was passed on for some reason.

Gainax have always liked to hint at their anime fan roots; Macross would seem to be a favourite ( Hideki Anno had a small part in the making of Macross TV, and further homages can be seen in Gainaxs own Otaku no Video ).

For the ultimate in Gainax otakuness, try and find their DAICON videos they made. THose are just simply one giant copyright violation with everything from Superman and Star Trek to Macross and Gundam. And if you do find them let me know, i need them.

Ah, yes. I forgot about Blue Water = the stone in Laputa, and the girl in both stories being chased by pirates who turn out to have hearts of gold.

Not that I'm knocking the series. The tone is a bit uneven but my wife and I are enjoying it thoroughly. In fact, the wacko episodes toward the end are a welcome relief from the heavy drama of the middle part. And the animation is very nice; I suspect it was a cut or several above the typical TV fare at the time it was released.l

Edit: Hm. Quality seems markedly lower in episode 32.

Edited by ewilen

A few years ago they had a tshirt going around (I remember seeing at a Kinokuniya Bookstore, maybe at Kimono My House too) and it had a picture of Kimba looking into a mirror and seeing Simba and saying something like "Mirror, mirror on the wall.. who's the real one afterall?"

I knew a girl in my Japanese language course in college who wore that shirt. It was white, and it said "Lying King" with Kimba in an angry pose w/ the same quote above.

~G25

"You must avenge my death Kimba, Duh' I mean Simba."

-Bleeding Gums Murphy

LMAO funny :D

Edited by gerwalk25