Brother can you spare a mesh?

cobywan

I am really wanting to put some more work into the 1/32nd scale Valkyrie project I dropped last year. The thing is I want to start over and use a CNC router to cut out my base forms. I could spend another hundred hours coming up with my own or I could beg to use one from a Macross World board member. I have little available cash but I have my Enterprise mesh as trade. I may be open to other options as well.

Any help will be greatly apreciated.

Here's my Enterprise page;

http://home.comcast.net/~cobywan/Templates...erprise_CGI.htm

Here's my previous attempt at a Valkyrie;

http://home.comcast.net/~cobywan/Templates/VF.htm

I have found a way to use polygon meshes. The nice thing is that I would have to sand the surface of the pattern parts smooth from tooling anyway, so a little polygon faceting won't be a problem. I figure it's worth a shot.

My friend who is getting that CNC bought OneCNC. That CAM program will tool from polygons. So...

You can PM me or E-mail me anything you want to discuss.

If I had an valk meshes I would love to lone them to you for cutting. I'm sure one of the others will be willing though, hey who wouldn't want to see their CG masterwork translated into reality? I know I would be thrilled to see my 3-D models as solid models. Good luck and keep us updated on what happens.

Ditto, honestly, this is probably the only way a lot of models will be built. I've got a YF-19 model I'd love to see made real, but it's pretty low poly now, and would probably have to be remade using curved surfaces, or at least a lot more polygons. I do have plans to make a nurbs mesh out of the contours I defined though. When I get it done, you're welcome to use it however you like. I just really really want a 1/48th YF-19 I can put on my shelf. :D I also have plans to build models of a VF-11, and YF-21 in the future, you'd be welcome to use those as well.

Well, for that, your best bet would probably be to get a hold of Brian76's mesh (I think that's his name anyway...). He had the most beautiful VF-1 mesh I've ever seen... The others wouldn't be bad though, Rodavan has a nice one in the works, as do many others. I'm hoping to do one myself someday, but I don't know when. I'd be happy to make a 3d model to your specifications though, if I have time... It might make the modeling process easier if the mesh was already broken up into the parts you'd need for forming the model. Course, I'm not too familiar with the process you use, so it may not help at all. Either way, I'd love to help. :)

At this point I think getting some simple orthographic renders and wireframe shots would be great. I really like your cockpit. I would definately like to see what it will cost to have those parts output via STL.

Rodavan, are you using Maya? What can you export? Can you do IGES or 3DM?

The main thing is that I just need the form. I think I have been seeing a lot of modeled panel lines. My intention is to scribe those in after having the solid blocks in hand.

Thanks alot for the offers. I didn't expect so many and certainly not so quickly either.

Everthing I model is in Rhino or Solid Edge ( learning Maya), so you can have Iges , stl or step or 3dm

All my models that is part of the main body, have panel lines added , I will look and see if I can find the models with out pannel lines. Every body panel started as a solid , the idea was to create stl files then grow each panel and build the valk like a "jig saw" each panel seperate , my own version of a model kit. The cost killed that idea !

I have also done a nice glaug , which would "relatively" easy to create cnc parts for.

Which cnc machine do you use , I have been contemplating getting a small Sherline 3axis mill to make small moulds . As always if you don't earn dollars these "things" tend to be hellishly expensive.

If you want the just cockpit let me know.I have devided the into sections , nurb files tend to get big if add a lot of detail.

The machine is a gigantic 3 axis gantry router. I can't recall the manufacturer right now but the table size is 5' by 9' by 10". Actually the table is what moves laterally so it is a very stable setup. It has a 6 tool changer and the CAM software my friend got actually reads Rhino natively. You can produce tool paths directly off of the nurbs surface without any STL or IGES export step.

Here is the home page of that program;

http://www.onecnc.net/products/products_xp.htm

It sounds like a really great setup. I can't wait to start testing it out.

I'll let you know if I need anything after I start to get more certain information.

I have a VF-4 in LightWave and I think it is simpler in plane-only-mode than the VF-1. However I should check:

1) Can it be exported to Rhino or IGES?

2) I should clean the mesh a little, since there are some overlappings (fuse/wings)

It's OK for you to give the CNC a try?

Regds,

Gorgon.

Actually, it's VERY easy to convert to Rhino format. You basically need the model in a form Rhino can open (and it can open a LOT of types), and then you can save it in Rhino 3dm format. I can make the conversion if you need it. I have an older version of Rhino, but it should still work.

Rhino can open .lwo lightwave files natively, so I don't see a problem with that, but it can also open IGES, 3ds, dxf, and dwg files.. and I think the newer versions can open even more filetypes through plugins.

Edited by Chronocidal

Hmm.. while on the subject, how hard would it be for you to reduce poly-count on that mesh? If you could get it in the range of about 8000-10000 polies, it'd be a good candidate for MS Flight Sim. :)

But I digress... Yes, it probably would be best to leave it as LWO.. in my experience, detail always gets lost in conversions. But if I'm not mistaken, it may take some modification to make that mesh usable for the process Cobywan's describing.

Just checked and LW exports DFX and 3DS, but as you mention maybe is better to just load the mesh as LWO.

Cobywan? What do you say?

Regds,

Gorgon.

(current and hope final mesh... some 80K polygons, cockpit included)

I say it looks beautiful! It would look great in 1/48th scale too. ;)

If you wan't to share that mesh with me to see what I can make I would love to give it a shot. I can open LWO objects just fine.

My home address is;

cobywan@comcast.net

Thanks guys. This is turning into an awesome thread.

And the CNC is on the road from Toronto to Seattle today. Woo hooooo!