Studio Half Eye resin models

DARTHTODD

Just wondering if the resin kits from SHE are really rare or not...specifically the variable resin kits, the VF-5000B, Pheyos valk, VA-3, & VF-4G? I see that they're shown in the model section of this site with some pretty high prices. Anybody put some of these together....are they worth the price? Thanks.

Like most resin kits, they are produced in fairly limited quantites, so yes they are fairly rare and expensive. The molds used to make resin garage kits don't last for long, so unless somebody recasts them, it's possible that we may not see these kits being made again.

It seems like SHE has moved onto Super Robots as they have not made a Macross product for a long time, basically since Yamato came on the scene. Possibly they have not renewed their Macross license with BW

I have owned the YF-19, YF-21 and the VF-5000B (ver.1). However, not being a modeller, I hired somebody to build these for me, this being prior to Yamato releasing their Macross Plus toys.

The YF-19 and YF-21 look nice, but depend mainly on screw tension to keep everything tight. This results in very floppy kits. Also, they are very fragile and prone to paint chipping during transformation.

If you want a transforming Valk, buy a Yamato or Bandai toy. If you want a nice looking fighter model, buy a Hasegawa kit.

The SHE perfect variable Macross kits were fairly revolutionery for their time, but this day and age when we have far more choice, I can't really recommend them.

Graham

They vary greatly in terms of both price and rarity.

The cheapest seem to be the YF-19, YF-21, and Pheyos. The 19 and 21 because they're probably the most mass produced, and the Pheyos because it's the least in demand. The VA-3 seems to be pretty low in demand too.

At the other end of the spectrum, is the VF-19F/S Blazer Valkyrie with FAST Packs, which sold for $1200 and $1300 the last two times it showed up on yahoo japan auction. The VF-4G and Fire Valkyrie are also high in demand, but not nearly as much as the Blazer.

Keep in mind, this is all relative. SHE kits are still garage kits, and are all made in very limited in numbers compared to injection plastic kits. And also, it's very rare that I see any SHE kit sell for much less than its original retail price ($200, on average)

They vary greatly in terms of both price and rarity.

The cheapest seem to be the YF-19, YF-21, and Pheyos. The 19 and 21 because they're probably the most mass produced, and the Pheyos because it's the least in demand. The VA-3 seems to be pretty low in demand too.

At the other end of the spectrum, is the VF-19F/S Blazer Valkyrie with FAST Packs, which sold for $1200 and $1300 the last two times it showed up on yahoo japan auction. The VF-4G and Fire Valkyrie are also high in demand, but not nearly as much as the Blazer.

Keep in mind, this is all relative. SHE kits are still garage kits, and are all made in very limited in numbers compared to injection plastic kits. And also, it's very rare that I see any SHE kit sell for much less than its original retail price ($200, on average)

The VF-19F/S Blazer Valkyrie with FAST Packs, sold for $1200 and $1300? Wow!

Was it because it was highly articulated?

Thanks for all the info so far. The reason I was asking about these is I'm really interested in the VF-5000B, Pheyos valk, VA-3, & VF-4G and I wasn't able to find any other models of these around (ones that transform). Are there any other transforming versions of these valks out there that I'm not aware of?? Or does anyone know if these are going to be made into toys sometime in the future.

The SHE perfect variable Macross kits were fairly revolutionery for their time, but this day and age when we have far more choice, I can't really recommend them.

Graham

I hate to disagree with Graham but it all depends on what you are buying them for. To me these kits are works of art in and of themselves and are true marvels of engineering. True the toys are better to play with and some of the fixed posed models can be made to look better but to me the SHE kits capture something that's unique. I can remember when I used the think transforming mecha in general was all anime magic. The first toy I went to nearly the ends of the earth to have as a kid was Jetfire. It just hit me so hard with that feeling "You mean that thing can be made to do that in real life!". True the toys still do that... the 1:48 the most I think but the SHE's leave me in awe of the engineering that went into them. I certainly recommend them as works or art. They aren't meant to be toys or the best looking fixed posed model possible.

Carl

Grayson72 said:
What scale are they?

I think the official answer is they are non-scale. Most sites list them a 1:100 but they are bigger then that. They aren't quite 1:72. SHE himself first called them 1:75 seen here:

http://www.macrossworld.com/macross/models...she_75yf21b.jpg

But this is the SAME kit he later called 1:100 and that even later sold with no scale information on or in the box. I don't even think all the SHE kits are in scale with each other. His focus seemed to be first on making the bast variable kits he could make and scale was secondary. At least that's my take on it.

Edited by wwwmwww
typo

• 15 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Wow, old thread!

I don't think any of the Studio Half Eye kits ever included decals.  And the did not include the joints.  They require Bandai's B-Joints, which have been out of production for a number of years.   I'm not sure if there are any modern replacements.

On 3/10/2019 at 5:48 PM, sh9000 said:

@Convectuoso I just remembered the model sections on the MW site.  Graham owns that kit so maybe you can ask him as well.

http://www.macrossworld.com/macross/models/she/she_main.htm

8 hours ago, Valkyrie said:

Wow, old thread!

I don't think any of the Studio Half Eye kits ever included decals.  And the did not include the joints.  They require Bandai's B-Joints, which have been out of production for a number of years.   I'm not sure if there are any modern replacements.

Thanks. Unfortunately, my order for purchasing this kit was canceled for the 2nd time, so I'm losing hope on getting it already 

• 2 weeks later...