Check Out These Buff Arms

Knight26

No, it's not what you think. These are the designs I've been working on for a new rifle for my characters to use. I've been working on it for about two-three days now on and off. It is roughly based on design I saw online, which was a cobbling together of different modern day assault rifles. This is a dual nature weapon, with a Plasma LASER rifle combined with a slug thrower, ideal for use against unknown capability hostiles. The PLASER is the barrel on top. Well let me know what you guys think. I think it came out pretty well. I also did a few alternate color schemes, some are realistic, some off the wall, was just having fun. First off the regular colors I've used for development.

post-5-1076803774_thumb.jpg

Edited by Knight26

Like the Green and the Tan schemes. Overall design is very nice. Not too crazy about the laser barrel, as it looks just like a ballistic barrel. A weapon of such different nature would probably have a very different looking emitter - perhaps blunt it and cap it with a lens? Also, "mass driver" is usually used synonymously with "rail gun" - so if it's one of those, then the ballistic force is imparted magnetically rather than chemically, and the ammo is caseless - no need for an ejection port...

Thanks Gonzo, it is still a work in progress at this point and the PLAMSA LASER barrel is going to be changed a bit. As for the ammo ejection port, that was becuase of how I am currentlt envisioning the power source. I had three ideas for that, power source in the gun, power source in the magazine, or power source attached to the round. The rifle here is using the third option. Each round comes attached to a power cell that is flash drained for each firing, then the spent cell is ejected. This arrangement actually is a good idea thermally as the power cell would be very hot after firing, so instead of having the magazine heat up as you fire, the hot power cell is just disposed of. True it isn't very environmentally friendly, but the magazine is more easily reloaded and reused. So there is a method to my madness. Also, it makes sense to have the ejection port just in case you have to clear a jam.

Terrance, thanks for the compliment, haven't seen you for a while. Yes it does bear a striking resemblance to the XM-8, I hadn't seen it in a while though, hmmm, maybe I can equip the GF with updated versions of it, lol.

The forward cocking lever on the left side is for the Mass Driver, AKA rail gun, It chambers the first round and is used for clearing jams, etc... The rear cocking lever on the left side is for priming the PLASER Magazine, clears and hooks up the power connections and the plasma shunt. As I've said before there is a method to my madness.

It is still needs a lot detail work done, but here is the basic body of my next rifle. Basically an SMG in scale it is the little brother of the larger rifle I designed, strictly a PLASER rifle it's the MP-5/P-90 of my main troops.

post-5-1076964449_thumb.jpg

Here a couple images of the new PLASER SMG, I've put some more details into it, but I still feel like its missing something, no idea what though. For a sense of scale I've rendered it with the larger rifle. Let me know what you think, still have to figure out what it's missing.

post-5-1076986042_thumb.jpg

I love it! I like the UK green and security blue the best. I see some design lineages to several real and fictional firearms (like the aformentioned XM-8 and the Assault Rifle from Halo). I also like the concept of the new rifle you're drawing. Very cool stuff!

This was a semi-request by EXO, the standard sidearm, I actually did this one before the rifle, still needs to be detailed, but liked the render. The reason for the large unit under the barrel is that it is the Plasma tank, holds enough Plasma for ten energy magazines. Well let me know what you think.

post-5-1076986244_thumb.jpg

Guess what another rifle, this is the one I am thinking of for the enemy forces, the GF, it is main line assault rifle of the same type as the one up above. It is also a dual nature weapon, still have to make a scope for it. I may redo the handle, as well before I start to detail it. What do you all think. BTW, that disk in front of the grip is where the Mass Driver (Rail Gun/Gauss Rifle) Magazine plugs in. It rotates forward to admit and remove the mag, then rotates back to lock it into position and cock it. It is a little shorter then the confed weapon, just by like 2 inches, but that is all barrel length. ANy suggestions are appreciated.

post-5-1077236596_thumb.jpg

I like the first rifle but I have a few suggestions.

1) I am assuming that your forward magazine is double stacked so the ejection port is about the right size (both length and width). However based on the caliber of the rear mag, I would guess that it is a single stack. So the width is good but the length is a little short. It is very rare (I've never see one) to see a casing (or power cell in your case) that would take up only about half the length of the overall round. You might want to add a bit to the length of the ejection port.

2) Charging handles by their nature must travel at least the length of the bullet. The front charging handle might be long enough but the rear charging handle isn't. Unless you have added a mechanism that allows for a more compact travel path, which isn't a good idea if you find yourself field stripping the weapon for service, the rear handle's glid needs to be lengthened.

3) I'm with Dok about the barrel design. Mass drivers are electronic. Electronics mean heat. I would suggest adding heat sinks of some kind on the mass drivers barrel.

Looks like you put a lot fo time into these. They look good. This is my only attempt at a weapon reproduction. It only took a few hours but it shows. I like the added detail you have worked into your designs.

Keep up the good work.

Les

post-5-1077926688_thumb.jpg

Iparisek in regards to your comments:

1) The forward magazine is a double stack and is for the mass driver (rail gun), the ejection port is simply for the power cell that is attached to rear of each round, and is used up with each round. I made sure it was the right size, one of the nice things about designing in CAD. As for the rear mag, that is for the Plasma LASER barrel on top, it has no ejection port, it simply acts as a battery and holds the primary plasma charge. Therefore there is no need for an ejection port. That grill above it is the primary heat sink for the Plasma exciter.

2) Again the front handle should be long enough, checked my weapons design manuals and if it it too short, it is just barely. As for the rear charging handle there is a mechanism inside, but it does not need to travel the full length of the magazine. All the charging handle does is strip away the protective strip on top of the magazine exposing the electrical connections and plasma charge port, compressed hydrogen. THis is in contrast to the enemy weapon in which the strip was be removed before it is put into the weapon, possibley mitigating a loss of gas, accidentally electrical shock, and release of the weapon.

3) I debated putting heat sinks of the barrels and am still doing so. RIght now the primary heat sink is the grill between the forward grids and the one at the rear. I may add additional heat sinks to the barrel. I'm also working on a possible reconfigure of the upper barrel, but since the actually plasma round is a ballistic, mind you a high powered energy ballistic it will retain a somewhat ballistic appearance.

I hope this clears up any confusion on those points, and thanks for the comments. BTW nice SMG you have going there.

What happens if you have to clear a miss-fire? Any weapon that uses ammunition, of any type, needs to have a functional ejection port at least the length of the original round incase of problems. Unless, you expect the men to field strip the weapon any time there's a problem.

Just a thought.

Les

The forward ejection port is large enough to clear a jammed/misfired round, I think, great now I need to go back and check, lol. As for a misfire with the the PLASER rifle portion, basically you are dealling with gas, so there is an emergency relief for that just in case of an overpressure. The right side rear heat sink doubles as the overpressure relief vent.

• 2 months later...

Ok, I am not normally one to ressurect old threads but I've made some developments to the weapons featured here. I realized I did not have enough weapon's diversity so have started making variants on the weapons. This one is the Heavy Repeating Plaser Variant, basically a future SAW (Squad Automatic Weapon). The Mass Driver is removed, the forward reciever modified, the back Plaser magazine mount removed. The interior is much different with dual Plasma exciters, one in the butt stock and one in the for grip. It also features a larger caliber longer barrel, with numerous external heat sinks. There is a second plasma injector in the forward barrel, giving the weapon some serious kick, enough to pierce lightly armored vehicles skin. The new forward reciever takes the larger dual drum PLASMA/Energy cell. I may go to a single drum, I have not yet decided. I'm going to make additional modifications, more heat sinks, gas vents, etc... Mostly in the butt stock. Let me know what you all think.

post-5-1084931929_thumb.jpg

Edited by Knight26

The Sniper Rifle Variant of the maina assault rifle. Once again the mass driver has bene removed, but this time the foward reciever acts as another heat sink and emergency gas vent. A secondary plasma injector is also featured on the external barrel, which also has two barrel heat sinks, and a magnetic accelerator. This beast uses more power per shot then the standard rifle to propel the round up to four times faster and much further down range. The new scope is larger with better optics and digital zoom capabilities. The foregrip now contains a mini-de-grav generator/inertia damper to steady the rifle and cancel the recoil, this is not on the standard rifle, but is on the heavy repeatin Plaser. The design is almost finished, just needs the bi-pod.

post-5-1085101433_thumb.jpg

Almost the whole confed line up together, just need the slugg throwers now, and then the custom weapons. FRom front to back we have the Heavy Repeating Plaser (HRP), Sniper Varient, Assault Rifle, and the Light Attack Rifle (LAR), basically and SMG, plus the sidearm. SO, any comments?

post-5-1085101595_thumb.jpg