vf2ss tech questions...

vicviper

when in atmospheric flight (no fast pack), were are placed the gunpods of the VF2SS ?

how works the mechanism that moves the legs pivot from fighter to gerwalk to robot? more magic swing bars?

I remember there were some sites arround with info about the 2ss ... any links?

tnx!

Magnets????? :unsure:

Seriously, that is a damn good question. Can't blame the froating head for that one though, as he didn't make that one.

Edited by Anubis

AFAIK, the VF-2SS was never meant to be w/o the FAST Packs. Considering that the forearm Pack was used as storage for the gunpods and that the -2SS was meant ONLY for space, one can say that they opted not to include a non-armored hardpoint for the gunpod.

Even in emergency entry into an atomosphere, you need to ditch all the FAST Packs and gunpod anyway. You wouldn't want yer gunpod to explode right from under ya, ne?

Also the only time I saw the -2SS w/o FAST Packs was during exhibitions.

I have the Paladium RPG book for Macross II. Granted, I take their info with a pillar of salt, but I do like the lineart. None of 'em show an VF-2SS w/o FAST Packs sporting a gunpod.

If any knows, what kind of projectile system do they use for the gunpods in MII? The RPG books states they're railguns with explosive-tipped rounds. *licks the pillar of salt*

Only for space? Then why the airplane based design? Those wings and tail fins are a complete waste.

that's the point... the VF2ss has a very atmospheric design...

I'm beginning to think that the only weaponry without SAP is the head mounted cannons... or maybe a different SAP version for atmospheric flight we have never seen (could it be fan to try to design one)

thanks all for the info

The VF-2SS is not meant ONLY for space but it is optimized for space. It's perfectly capable of operating in space, though it's not optimized like the VF-2JA.

The VF-2SS is not meant ONLY for space but it is optimized for space. It's perfectly capable of operating in space, though it's not optimized like the VF-2JA.

Splitting hairs here, but I think that it is meant only for space, but capable of surviving in the well.

The question is: can the 2JA survive in space? Does it have the necesary engine mods to burn in space or was that left out to make it cheaper/lighter as it was meant for atmospheric use?

The VF-2SS is not meant ONLY for space but it is optimized for space.  It's perfectly capable of operating in space, though it's not optimized like the VF-2JA.

Splitting hairs here, but I think that it is meant only for space, but capable of surviving in the well.

The question is: can the 2JA survive in space? Does it have the necesary engine mods to burn in space or was that left out to make it cheaper/lighter as it was meant for atmospheric use?

I read in one og the Macross II books that a VF-2JA can operate in space.

The VF-2SS is not meant ONLY for space but it is optimized for space.  It's perfectly capable of operating in space, though it's not optimized like the VF-2JA.

I read in one og the Macross II books that a VF-2JA can operate in space.

I think it should be said this way. The VF-2JA is optimize for atmopheric use. The 2JA has forward carnards while the VF-2SS does not. The profile of the VF-2JA is also slimmer. Etc., etc., etc.