1/48 improvement ideas

Uxi

Like it says, anyone have ideas for further design improvements/evolutions of our favorite valkyrie toy? I love the thing, but the improvements in the 1/60 were almost obvious as time went on. We've already seen some nice changes in the Max and Low-Viz from the Hikaru and Roy, but what would we like to see after the Hikaru -1S and -1J (probably too late)...

Me? I'm thinking having seperate flaperons and ailerons (spelling error in one or both, i'm sure) would be nice... certainly more realistic. Maybe a rudder too.

Hands could definately improvement. I'd like articulation in every finger and not have ring/middle joined up.

It'd also be nice if the cockpit control surfaces either painted or have the stickers pre-applied (after a nice close cutting).

A new head mold (front/back halves instead of left/right) would be desirable for the -1S IMO, but I doubt we'll see that anytime soon, if at all.

Articulated pilot (even rudimentary like the Micro Machine Action Fleet with shoulder and hip only) but 1/48s are a bit bigger so head rotation and waist would be cool, too...

Thats off the top of my head. Anyone else? Repost? :)

Let's see, right off the bat:

-Better mechanism for front wheel deployment, one that wouldn't cause a gap in the cockpit assembly.

-Better stickers, sheets that are thinner ans less apt to peel.

-Yeah, bigger hands would be a good idea.

That's about it for me, and yes, the 1S head seam doesn't bother me in the least. :ph34r:

A small hidden button that performs an automatic transformation!

but seriously...

My comments as a collector:

I would have to vote for better hands as well. They are still flimsy and suffer from limp wrist syndrome. I would really prefer it if they provided decals instead of stickers. Instructions in English or at least Engrish would be nice too. Also, some more metal would be nice, especially in the transformation mechanism pieces.

My comments as a retailer:

Yamato needs to pack their stuff in better stronger cases. Their cases simply SUCK and always wind up getting damaged in the mail :angry: Not to mention the flimsy piece of crap cardboard that they use for the toy boxes that easily dent and crush. So yeah, better boxes and cases (Bandai rules in this area. You can pretty much punt their cases)!

Edited by twinmoons

Here's what improvements I'd like to see on the 1/48: -

1) The DYRL pilot figure resculpted.

2) The backpack hinge (part # BP8) beefed-up. This can be done on the part of the hinge that is on the inner side of the back plate, so it would not

change the appearance in fighter mode).

3) Sell each Valk with a set of swapable non-articulated hands ala the upcoming VF-1J Hikaru, in addition to the normal articulated hands.

4) Better, thinner stickers, with less border area. Maybe Yamato should hire Takatoys!

5) Change the material of the heatshield, so that the two side pins are not so fragile.

6) Yes, I agree with Tamim totally about the boxes.

7) Resculpt the VF-1S head to get rid of the vertcal seem down the centre of the face.

Graham

5) Change the material of the heatshield, so that the two side pins are not so fragile.

Graham

are they very prone to breaking?

Not really. I've never broken any of mine, but I think I've read of maybe 2(?) MW forum members who have broken theirs.

The key words are really be gentle and don't use force.

Graham

Oh yeah something that I'd really like, but don't think can be done because of the transformation thing... link the wings together with a gear like is done for some of models. So that when one is moved the other moves in the same fashion (ie in or out). Also join up the weapon hardpoints to it, to, so that the missile cluster or box rotates in the appropriate direction.

THAT would be pretty cool. :)

Would also like heat shield to be able to deploy in fighter (or gerwalk) mode, like we saw Hikaru do when descending from orbit after the fight with Bodolza. But that would probably involve a significant redesign of heat shield, canopy, and chest plate...

For that matter, maybe removable arms? ;) Nah...

Edited by Uxi

2) The backpack hinge (part # BP8) beefed-up. This can be done on the part of the hinge that is on the inner side of the back plate, so it would not

change the appearance in fighter mode).

Graham

Hey Graham.

Do you know why Yamato didn't stay with the backpack system from the 1/60 Valkyries? I always felt that the 1/60 backpack's hinge system offered a great freedom of movement. :ph34r: Definently making it less prone to stress fractures that plague the 1/48 line. :ph34r:

Most of the important areas are already covered. How about a minor cosmetic one? I still feel the "collar" swivel piece shouldn't be black. It's too stark and makes the head appear separated from the body. Yamato could try making the part in a mid-gray instead - it's neutral and applicable across the board.

1) Nose gear be perpendicular to the ground when extended (Fighter mode with out fast packs) or, better still, extended more to avoid the tendencies of retracting when rolling.

2) Reinforce the hinge clip that clips on the top part of the back pack.

1)Better hands, no doubt. Either fixed-pose hands would be nice or poseable fingers that can grip the gunpod better. Sheesh! Even the Banpresto's can grip the front of a gunpod better than the 1/48's!

2)Another thing that would be cool is folding intake covers that can fold up to the roof of the intake area instead of those lame stickers.

3)Personally, I could do without the radar dish. I mean it was nice of Yamato to include it, but, seriously, how many of you have your's on display with the nosecone off??? The lack of detail on it and that hokey sticker just make it an eyesore.

4)The air brake is another thing that was a nice extra, but one I could have done without, too. I don't know how an air brake actually gets pulled up, but I would imagine it has some pistons or something like that to release it and hold it in place. If they could have added that, then the air brake would have looked like a nice, working feature instead of just a panel that opens. As it is, it doesn't lock or snap into place in the closed position, so on some of my 1/48's, it doesn't look quite flush.

I'm not knocking the 1/48's, because, truly, the more I look at them on display, the more I am impressed by their size, detail, accuracy, and improved poseability making them the best Valks yet.

Oh yeah, in Battroid mode, aren't the Valks supposed to have the area behind the head and the areas on either side of the cockpit enclosed? I know I have seen custom Hasegawa transforming models that use a flap system to cover up some of those open areas. I think it would be cool if Yamato tried the same thing. Those flaps under the arms that fold outward are a nice touch, but they could be much imroved.

2) Reduce the price for God sake !

Yes!!! If the price were at least at $89 to $99 I would definitely pick up more 1/48s.

Anyways, back to the improvements. The thing that really bothers me is the nosecone. Damn thing keps falling off. I really dont care about fancy removeable parts, I just want a 1/48 I can transform without the pieces falling off. Do away with the removeable nosecone.

As most of you already said:

1. Provide an extra set of non-articulated hands

2. Don't make the nose cone detachable

3. Strengthen the backpack hinges

4. No movable flaps (sorry to say I like to play with my 1/48, and the movable flaps are just annoying IMO)

I only have a Low Viz (so far), so I can't make any comments about the 1S head.

Add features and drop the price - that would rock but doesn't sound realistic.

Lots of good ideas here. I think realistic ideas are:

better stickers (if fans can make better ones this should not be difficult)

panel lines (did it on the low-viz so it is possible)

optional hands (like on the vf-1j)

painted detail on missiles

My wish list of added features that may not be realistic:

backpack that sits higher up in battroid/gerwalk

rudders

pilot head and arm articulation

little led lights for the wing lights, landing lights, and a cockpit controls

1.)Resculpt the arms and hands.

2.)Make a sturdier backpack mechanism.

3.)Panel line all of them like the Low Vis.

4.) Oh yeah. Make better stickers. Yours suck Yamato.

PS I still love your toys though. ;)

Pretty much what most people have mentioned.

One extra point, and I really don't know why this wasn't done in the first place:

I want the palms of the hands to have a peg that the hole of the gunpod can attach to. I'm tired of my Valks being unable to hold their weapons. So much so that I never display them with them unless they are just slung on the arm.

Eazy fix = happy LePoseur

Of course, this feature must also be included on the awesome swappable DYRL hands that Yamato can only not make if they are rationally impaired or flat out sadistic bastaches.

Graham

are they very prone to breaking?

Not really. I've never broken any of mine, but I think I've read of maybe 2(?) MW forum members who have broken theirs.

The key words are really be gentle and don't use force.

Graham

Mine broke, but the amount of fatigue a wrought iron DVD case places on a plastic toy isn't really what these things are made for. In all honesty, I'm surprised that ONE of the pegs made it through, let along the rest of the valk.

Improvements:

1) Panel lining

2) Like many have said, do something about the bloody hands...

3) Make the wing flaps with a more sturdy method of staying on (which I hear was done with the Max 1A and beyond?)

Edited by GreenGuy42

Yes!!! If the price were at least at $89 to $99 I would definitely pick up more 1/48s.

Isn't that what they do cost when you don't have to import them from Japan!?! :)

Anyways, much of the stuff above is dead-on. But I don't think this has been mentioned:

* More painted-on details (fewer stickers). Especially the "U.N. SPACY" on gunpod and possibly legs. I can never get it right on the Gunpod. And even super-thin custom stickers still seem to show an outline. More paint!

* Have to agree with the missile detail/painting as well. They are just too plain.

But, of course, these toys still rock!