Difference between acrylic and enamel

hikaru

If you use acrylics, I hope u dont want to blend too much, unless u are very quick. they tend to dry quite quickly.

I use tamiya to do everything in acrylic so far, and did some 1/200 scale nichimos a while back, which came out ok.

At least with acrylics you can paint in a room and not have to worry about ventilation too much, its not as fumy......

my 2 cents worth..

:)

Hey there,

Enamels are much harder/tougher paints, they wear pretty well. However, as Cmd McBride as mentioned they require a spirit based solvent (to clean but can be used straight out of the bottle to paint) which the vapours are unpleasant and requires ventilation to use. Additionally they require a bit longer to dry, 5-6 hrs for the glossy stuff or 3-4 hrs for the flat stuff. Generally they are more toxic.

Acrylics are easier to handle paints, but they tend to scratch more easily. Acrylics also use thinners to clean but they are designed to be used straight out of the bottle to paint with. The thinners are usually some alcohol base and are not as toxic as spirit based solvents for the enamels. These paints do dry quicker, 3-4 hrs for glossy or 1-2 hours for flat depending on the thickness of the coat you apply.

I would definitely recommend acyrlics especially to beginners since they can clean up with just water. However, that being said, after all my years in modelling, I use Tamiya Acylics almost exclusively now (after trying just about everything in the market).

Good luck.