Mass CG project ...

Aztek

Hey Dok,

I noticed that you get some of that "dark" in the render. Is this a result of the GI rig? I never saw it before I started using it and after I did, I noticed that some parts of my model, despite being relatively on the same recieving end of the light tends to go dark. Not sure why that happens. I notice it happening on your Battroid on the landing gear doors specifically. What's the dela with that?

:Dat

Hey Dok, that pilot is looking pretty awesome, I built a pilot for my Legioss but I went the low res route as I didn't have any plans to focus on him and I had made the canopy fairly reflective as well.

I like the Valkyrie transform shot too, but why is that VF wearing the wrong trousers?

post-5-1066984838_thumb.jpg

MM: It's the wrong trousers, Grommit!

It's 'cause I'm in the middle of retexturing the valk - the upper half is sporting nice new properly weathered textures, while the legs are still wearing very basic textures I did when I still intended to turn it into a VF-1S Hikaru...

Dat: Yeah, it's the GI rig. I'm not positive what causes that, but I suspect that that patrticular rig is making more evident the effects of the edge normals. Those bay door surfaces are basically single rectangles with the edges set very soft - so the entire poly is blending out the curvature of the edges where the "front" meets the 4 "sides". I get the feeling that tweaking those edge normals would fix it - though I don't know if I will, I kind of like the effect....

After looking at all the great models by all the talented artists to this thread I thought I would add my own bit of work. I know it's not Macross or even Mospeada, but I felt that Orguss could use a bit of love too. I've been playing with these off and on for some time now and thought I had enough to post. Unlike most people here, I'm not using a 3D animation program; these things have been created in Pro Engineer.

Comments, encouragements, tear-downs, threats of excommunications, confused drunken ramblings...all welcome.

First off: Ishkick

Mechaninac: Yeah, I've got love for Orguss (and Macross, Mospeda, Gundam, Dragonar, Dunbine, Dougram, Ideon, Votoms, Vifam, Xabungle, Yamato, Crusher Joe, L-Gaim, FSS, Patlabor, Southern Cross, Nadesico, Evangelion, Gasaraki and Detonator Orgun)

Seriously though, your stuff looks good so far, I'll be interested to see the finished Ishkick as that was the one Orguss model kit I never got hold of so I'm less familiar with that mecha than I am with most.

Dok: I did consider doing the Ride Armour, but I will have to build a more detailed pilot figure first. Maybe later, I'm caught up with building a full transformation ZZ Gundam right now.

DG:

I know what you mean, but weird thing was when I changed the softness/hardness, it didnt seem to make the abberation go away, it always was there no matter how soft or hard I made it, but to differing degrees. Not sure what it is about the GI rig that causes it but I only get it with the GI lighting Rig. I have found, however, that you can minimize it by upping the intensity for the top or bottom set of lights depending on which one hits it more directly, this however, limits your control over the lighting.

I also know what you mena about not fixing it, it sometimes givees my Valk a weathered look without Texture Mapping...

MECHANINAC:

Hey there, your CG stuff looks pretty good. Well detrailed too. I would however prefer to see something of that sort in another thread as this one focuses primarily on a mass CG project of Macross that a bunch of the guys are working on. I think your work can be appreciated by the folks here the most, but perhaps in another thread in order to keep focus. But then again... the folks here have been known to stray from time to time...

post-5-1083179567_thumb.jpg

Edited by DatterBoy

MASS CG PROJECT MASTER MODELS LIST

VF-0S Focker - Brianw76

VF-1A Battroid Cannon Fodder - Mechmaster

VF-1A Max TV Colors - Datterboy

VF-1D Battroid Valkyrie Trainer TV type - Mechmaster

VF-1J Max TV Super Colors - Datterboy

VF-1J Millia Super TV Colors - Datterboy

VF-1J Hikaru Colors - Brianw76

VF-1S Strike Hikaru Colors - Aztek

VF-1S Max Strike DYRL Colors - Datterboy

VF-1S Focker Colors - Doktor Gonzo

VF-1J/GBP-1S Armoured Valkyrie - Mechmaster

VE-1 ELINT - Aztek

VF-4 Lightning III - Vinnie

VF-9 Cutlass - MasamuneEd

YF-19 - Brianw76

SF-3A Lancer - The Woz

MK-II Monster TV Colors - lparisek

MBR-04 Tomahawk TV Colors - lparisek

MBR-07 Destroid Spartan - Mechmaster

ADR-04 Destroid Defender - Mechmaster

SDR-04 Destroid Phalanx - Mechmaster

SDF-1 Macross - Wolf13

VF-2SS (with Augmentation System) - Tober

VF-1A - VicViper

VF-2SS - VicViper

Well, not too much to add that has not been already added, but hell, I didn't wanted to be out.

Anyway, I don't expect to work on my models for some time, I'm helluva busy in real life... the only thing that could let me finish the models is if someone is kind enough to send me their textures, and see if they can fit in my models...

this is my old VF1 , it's exact to the hasegawa schematics, so it looks cool in fighter, but ugly in robot, I expect to do another version with rescaled parts so it can look better in robot, and as most of my models, I try to keep my poly count as low as possible so it can be used in realtime rendering projects eventually

post-5-1067203864_thumb.jpg

Anyway, I don't expect to work on my models for some time, I'm helluva busy in real life... the only thing that could let me finish the models is if someone is kind enough to send me their textures, and see if they can fit in my models...

I'll let you use my textures. Since both of our models are based on the hasegawa model, they should fit no problem. What VF-1A scheme would you like? It might take me a few weeks to get them to you though, i'm still making them.

Brianw76%20-%20VF-1J.jpg

Site is coming along nicely Brian.

And thanx for all the work you put into it for us.

I noticed that we only have three of Mechmaster's destroids on the list for the group shot. I don't know about the rest of you, but I'd like to see all of his work in the image. We have several versions of the Valk, there should be no reason for not having a couple Tomahawks and a pair of Monsters.

What does everyone else think?

Les

Site is coming along nicely Brian.

And thanx for all the work you put into it for us.

No Problem. I thought it'd be nice to have a place to keep everyones art so you don't have to search 17 pages to see it. I'm going to try to keep it as updated as i can with new art you guys post along with tutorials and reference pictures to help everyone out.

If some of you guys haven't done so already, make sure you cut and paste that list and add your name if you want to be part of the project. Don't want to leave anyone out on this. As soon as you do i'll add you to the site as well.

I'll let you use my textures. Since both of our models are based on the hasegawa model, they should fit no problem. What VF-1A scheme would you like? It might take me a few weeks to get them to you though, i'm still making them.

Brianw76%20-%20VF-1J.jpg

If you agree to send them to me, I would preffer the plain textures without any scheme

Don't worry if you haven't finished them, actually, I think I could help you finish your textures, I have some skills with photoshop too, so both could benefit from the same textures

btw brianw76 , I've just seen your Macross CG Project web... it's cool!!

and just a little bit of info, I've seen you have a list of members with the 3d modeling program they use...

I don't use any known 3D modeling program, I mean, I have some knowledge of 3DSMax, but my valks have been modeled in a custom 3d editor I am programming, but I think it could be ok if you put me as "3dsmax" user

VICVIPER:

You know, those are great models, and I'd be curious to see what becomes of them once you get them textured up. You mentioned using a low poly count, and although it shows, the model will likely take on a whole new life once you get those textures on so I can't wait to see what happens to them once they're completed.

BRIAN:

Great site man, really brings it all together, only... CG is spelled backwards in your banner.... :)

For you Orguss fans out there here's a small update to my ISHKICK model. A render instead of screen-cap this time. Any comments welcomed.

Moderators, since this thread is not labled "Mass 'Macross' CG project", I thought that this would be as good a place as any to display my work; however, if it is felt that anything other than Macross should be posted elsewhere just let me know and I'll start a new thread.

post-5-1067460092_thumb.jpg

Edited by mechaninac

Still working on detailing up my model. I gotta tell you guys, I don't know if it was me, but I tried using the texturing tips the Dok gave and the ones that Brian put up on his site as a reference.. and man.. it's tough... Been seeing everyones wonderfully textured models and couldn't wait to start on doing mine but once I plopped down and put some serious time into it... I always got stumped.

I should seriously take a class..

Rodavan.. that model has got to be near perfect... Love it

vf-1a%20gerwalk.jpg

vf-1a%20strike%20jet.jpg

post-5-1083179734_thumb.jpg

Edited by DatterBoy