Mass CG project ...

Aztek

Well, no, I think we settled on a photoshop composite of some kind. So you'd only have to render a few images of your Valks and they would all get added later. We'd have to come up with some kind of lighting conventions and such to keep it somewhat consistent.

Rocco_7, we could certainly use your help tho I imagine the image will go thru tons of revisions and more than one person will likely tweak it here and there. We'll see how it goes, when we (eventualy) get there :)

Wolf,

I could see cut and pasting about a hundred valks in front of the Mac as an ideal alternative to rendering that shot MBS was talking about.

But one render with a hundred or so valk spaced at varing intervals under the same lighting solution would look pretty nice.

Very nice 114, maybe it's just the lighting but a few parts look a little out of proportion and the chest looks a little too flat. Maybe it's just me or the lighting, but great work, nice textures.

114:

Very nice man! It looks great in batt mode. Is it variable? I like the proportions in this mode, but it seems it may not work in the others. Transformable? Love the textures and details on the hands.

Dat

114: The textures look awesome on that model. Keep up the good work.

DB: I'm really impressed at the speed your model is coming together at. I wish I could say the same for mine.

Wolf: I didn't want to say that the SDF-1 is background because that would imply that it wasn't good enough to be in the front of the shot.

Doc: Your sample is what I thought it would look like.

On that note DG,

Have you thought about mapping smudge/abrasion markings along the arc that your inlet covers retract on your intakes? Even subtle smudges that define the arc would look pretty damn pimp on a closeup shot looking in to the intake as if inspecting it.

What do you guys think about some real life refs for those trying to get the weathering just right? I could shoot different shots depicting actual weathering on the low-vis Air force paint job for an A-10. It's not an F-14, but oil streaking across the wing doesn't know whether it's on an A-10 or a Cessna. I got a new digital camera and I'm itching to do it.

Az,

Yeah, I plan to scuff the inside of the intakes along the arc of the covers - if and when I get back to texturing! I'm scrambling around trying to scare up some badly needed cash at the moment, haven't touched the VF-1 in a few days...

As for the photo references, HELLS YEAH! I'd love to see 'em, and I know they'd be a great help to a number of people here....

Wolf: Sure, I'd love to do that shot. 2 issues with it: first, I would guess that most of our modelers will want to display in battroid mode, not fighter, as it would show off our work to the utmost that way (and thus, they'd all have to be "flying" - not necessarily a big deal, but worth noting)

Second, as per your suggestion to put an arm forward, it's a necessity that it be large in frame. We have quite a few destroids, including a Monster, to get on there!

But yeah, this seems like it's going to be really cool....

I am so glad this thread is "still" going , as always the talent here is great.

I broke down and bought a hasegawa kit , just to find that my model need some changes so I am busy with the front bit of the VF-1a . Iam trying to get a look that show the panels better like a kit when the builder used paint in the grooves of the model .

What do you think?

post-5-1061977322_thumb.jpg

RODAVAN:

That's a beautiful model you have there. I think if the grooves were more of a bumped texture it would look even better. Right now, the modelling looks practically perfect. Transformable?

Dat

Rod,

Do you already have a bumped texture? I see some rivits on your panels. Subtle touch. Looks great.

BTW, are they "buttonhead" rivits? Most high speed aircraft have countersunk rivits and fasteners. Just a though, and possible suggestion ... :D

Edited by Aztek

What you could do, is one of you make a background scene in the modelling proggie, and use it wiht every.

Say you place your valk in the coordinates where it needs to be, render it, take the pic, and paste it on the big image. That way all the ships get where they need to be, and they all look like the same scene...

I hope someone understood that. =p

It's a nurbs model , I am using Maxon's 3d body paint for textures , I will make it look "old and rusty" when all the changes is implimented.

Aztek , I looked at the counter sunk rivets , this model started and it's main purpose still is, when it is finished to be "grown" with stereolithography in a real toy. The counter sunk rivets won't show well , and you won't be able to feel the rivets on the body panels on the toy , the rivtes need to protude a bit . I have however started to create the counter rivets just for the render , I think it's going to look great , I will post it when finished - I hope this make sense ;) ?

AZ:

Man, I don't even have gills.. Gonna redo the head altogether since I've got too many hardlines in it and it was a rush job to begin with anyways. Your head is smooth as sin and looks great to me, even though I know there are more variations with much more detail. It seems to me that I cold keep working on my valk forever and it may never be completely finished cuz there's alaways some way to make it better. Not even gonna try and texture until the modelling is done. Got any more recent pix then?

Here's the fixed up upper leg I was talking about earlier. Yet another tweak to the model. Will likely do it again at some point to get that rounded look like yours and Doks:

jet%2010.jpg

WOLF:

Thanks Man, I wouldn't say no time since the model really has sucked a lot of time outta me. It's almost become an obsession.

Dat

What did you model the 1S head after, the 1/60, or the 1/48?

It was modelled after the 1/60 head, but the likeness is not very good at all. I was doing polygonal modelling so it was really tough for me since it's not quite a primitive. I need to do serious revisions on the head to be true to even the toy, let alone the anime. Scaling has been a big factor for me too. Never sure if the model's head was ever teh right size, and have scaled it several times over now.

And while I'm here, I've got some of the new site up so you can check out some of the other pics of the Hikaru and Fokker 1S that I have made:

Hikaru 1S

Focker 1S

They're pretty big cuz they have a lot pof pics on em, so if you don't have broadband, I just wanted to give you a heads up.

Let me know if you have any more comments about sizes and proportions. It's my biggest struggle at the moment since most of the model was eyeballed...

Dat

Edited by DatterBoy

Rod,

Man you must have some big time funds or some pretty tight connections to be gearing your mesh towards a STL cut out. I've heard of that process just never seen it in action.

Heheh, not to nitpick Dat, but a couple corrections:

1) Hikaru/Rick also flies Skull One in the series, after Roy's death.

2) Max also (briefly) gets a 1S when he is in charge of Skull Squadron in DYRL. Max is in his 1S when he tangles with Mylia, making Hikaru's 1S the third we see in the movie (basicaly, whoever the squad leader is gets a 1S). I don't think this toy has ever been made (tho tons of fans have customed others into it). If you want the DYRL Max 1S, just swap out Hikaru's red for Max's blue.

And I am still very impressed with that model. Love the proportions, so don't make any drastic changes there.

Edited by Wolf13

WOLF:

I got the Hikaru 1S, sisn't realize that Max had a 1S as well... looks like I'll have to make a MAX 1S too. I have no problem with that. Thanks for the info. I find myself constsantly schooled by other members here. What I thought was thre case tends to not be, but it does seem not so great to me that the 1S has more pilots. Was kinda cool when in the TV series Roy was the only one with it. The model itself, I think will stay pretty much the same from here on out. Taking on cue from other m embers here on this thread, I think I'm going ot have to make a less panel lined version so I can texture it up. I need ot learn that...

DOK!!!

Yu there? You once left instructions on how to do textures. Care to enlighten me again?

Dat

Well, after several delays of all kinds I've managed to scare up some time to work on my VF-1. As a warm up, I started with the gunpod, so here it is :)

Comments of all kinds are welcome. Keep in mind that I'm working mostly from the 1/48 and that I'm shootig for the low-vis color scheme.

Hopefuly the rest of the Valk will follow along soon! :p

post-5-1062441542_thumb.jpg

Very nice, WOLF. I gotta get me one of those 1/48s as well. Working from pictures just is not cutting it. Hopefully, they'll come out with a goft set on the Rick 1J so I can get em all in 1 shot... Keep up the good work, man!

Dat

Hey all,

I need some help with some reference info. I'm trying to rig and finish modeling my landing gear. The nose gear is pretty straight forward, I have that covered. What I'm looking for is some info on the main landing gear (rear) retraction system. I know it rotates 90 degrees inbd (under) as it stows. Does anyone have any shots of this rotation? I know the F-14 and -18 have a similar gear setup but they retract forward and not aft like the VF-1. Please help me out. I'm going overseas for a few and would like to knock out my landing gear while gone. I have it mostly meshed out. I just need to rig it and make it stow.

Thanks!!

Hi Aztek

I don't have big time funds , I have to save like the rest - doing 3 jobs help!

Target date for complettion is next year March 2004 , if all goes well.

Talking about landing gear , I am looking for information material on the back landing gear . I looked at the F-14 landing gear , but it's not the same. Does anyone have sketchs or drawings they can help with?

Thanks

Rod :)