Mass CG project ...

Aztek

DG:

I'd like to be able to make an arm or a leg, parent it up and then duplicate a mirror for the opposite side, but can't seem to do it and can only do by parts and then re parent each peice individually. Is there a better way to do this cuz it just takes too much work.

Not that I know of man. You can do all the parenting, then duplicate, but you'll get nasty mirroring effects (notably, the OPPOSITE attribute is automatically set, which you then have to tunnel into the Attribute Editor per-piece to fix - failure to do so results in pieces rotating and translating mirror-wise, i.e. backwards.) All in all, less work to just duplicate each piece, THEN parent.

Mech, speaking of the canopy, that was one of the harder single objects I had to model believe it or not. Simple extruding the basic outer shell inwards toward the pilot resulted in a jacked up looking glass canopy. My frame and canopy are two seperate objects, the canopy glass is about 1 inch thick and portions of the frame being anywhere from about an inch and a half to 4 inches in the thicker areas. This are just estimates proportionate to the valks dimensions as a whole.

Cobywan: Now that is some sweet work!

Mech, speaking of the canopy, that was one of the harder single objects I had to model believe it or not. Simple extruding the basic outer shell inwards toward the pilot resulted in a jacked up looking glass canopy. My frame and canopy are two seperate objects, the canopy glass is about 1 inch thick and portions of the frame being anywhere from about an inch and a half to 4 inches in the thicker areas. This are just estimates proportionate to the valks dimensions as a whole.

You'd think it wouldn't be that problematic, but I know what you mean. I play around with LW whenever I have the chance and have tried using smooth shift to give uniform thickness to "skins" with complex curvatures and have gotten mixed results at best, and simply extruding the things results in varying thickness. That's where a solid modeler really shines: all you have to do is create your canopy shape out of surfaces and extrude it in to make it a shell, or if you create the shape as a solid all you need to do is tell the program to shell it for you with the thickness you want by selecting wish surfaces to remove and you're done; it actually takes less time to do it than it takes to explain it. As for creating canopy frames all that's necessary is for the frames to be offset outward or the glass areas to be offset inward, and the final part is one single piece. :)

Here's an example of what I mean. The part has a uniform 1.5mm shell thickness. (You can also see my Ishforn chassis above; it is fully shelled at 1.25mm wall thickness at the moment).

post-5-1070640716.jpg

Edited by mechaninac

Yeah, my cocpit is precisely as you describe. problem with milling it, though, is that the frame interpenetrates the glass - I didn't bother to section the glass where, say, the "roll bar" passes through...

DG,

I feel you ...

You could have used the glass and frame as booleans, notched the frame, and reinserted a non boolean glass canopy.

Again ... overkill.

Okay, fine - for the sake of PURE, UNADULTERATED OVERKILL,

I notched the frame.

So NYAAAAH!!!

(sorry for caps and ranting - not having a particularly easy day...)

Mechmaster... That looks awesome. I am amazed at how much it changes the look of the model to add/alter the textures.

Keep it coming.

Les

I modelled this a while back and all I could find for colors was black and white. Let me know if you find something else Mech...

Thanx

Les

Yeah, what Mechamaniac said with that attatched pic.

Right now, I'm trying to type around a jaw that's settled on my keyboard. It's not as easy as you'd think.

I'd really, really, *really* love to see some more pics of that CF, in various poses. Fantastic just doesn't do that model justice.

:oMechmaster's VF-1A is AWSOME !!!!

Damn, there's alot of designing talent in this topic,

sweet work B))

Close-up.

damn that's some sweet ass modeling skillz!! what program did you use for that? I didn't read carefully to find out. That's one good job though. I may try something out in cinema 4D! :p:D:lol:

Hey guys, got a question. I'm messing around with the textures for my VF-0S. I'm trying to make it look as real as I possibly can. How is this? Too much, not enough, or just right?

texturetest.jpg

are the block spots on the airbrak and further back vents or just marks? if they are vents i would say ad a little bit of weatheirng to them, everytihng else looks greta but if i were to do anything i would slightly reduced the streaked weathering, just slightly, ever so slightly

Brian... textures look great. I'm afraid I have to disagree with Nerv on the streaking though, I think its about right, but picking up on what he says about the spots on the airbrake etc. I would say add streaks back from there too. Looking at Tenjin's artwork for the Hasegawa model box he has added streaks on the airbrake at least.

what program did you use for that? I didn't read carefully to find out. That's one good job though. I may try something out in cinema 4D!  :p  :D  :lol:

Another C4D user eh? Thats what I use, ver. XL6.3 with textures drawn up in PaintsShop Pro 5

Nice, that was done in Cinema 4D? wow, I'm not good of a modeler yet. Cinema 4D is the only program I'm able to get a hold of right now for my Mac. My friend just got Maya for his mac, but it's recommended for use with dual processors, which I don't have. I'll just go over his house and try it out. :p:D:lol:

Hey guys, got a question. I'm messing around with the textures for my VF-0S. I'm trying to make it look as real as I possibly can. How is this? Too much, not enough, or just right?

texturetest.jpg

Excelent Job. :)

Hi

I am starting on my pilot , I used a poser model of a biker to get pose and shape and now i am builing the rest around him .

I have a question - Is the shoulder "pads" decrotive or is there some funtion ?

I have never seen a pilot from the back is there something special at the back ?

If there is any nice refrences please let me know

Thanks