MK-II Monster TV Colors - lparisek

MBR-04 Tomahawk TV Colors - lparisek

MBR-07 Destroid Spartan - Mechmaster

ADR-04 Destroid Defender - Mechmaster

SDR-04 Destroid Phalanx - Mechmaster

SDF-1 Macross - Wolf13

VF-2SS (with Augmentation System) - Tober

Hi guys,

I gladly offer the use of my VF-2SS model for your project.

As 'Macross 2' is concidered "alternative universe" etc by the MacrossWorld community it might be an idea to make it an easter-egg in the same way that an Industrial Light and Magic employee managed to slip one of his sneakers into a shot in 'Star Wars: Return of the Jedi' Death Star assault scenes. Kinda like a 'Where's Waldo?'

Hi guys,

I gladly offer the use of my VF-2SS model for your project.

As 'Macross 2' is concidered "alternative universe" etc by the MacrossWorld community it might be an idea to make it an easter-egg in the same way that an Industrial Light and Magic employee managed to slip one of his sneakers into a shot in 'Star Wars: Return of the Jedi' Death Star assault scenes. Kinda like a 'Where's Waldo?'

Awesome! It's great to have you with us on this!

Tober, could I pester you for a link to fighter and/or battroid mode pics? I'm trying to crunch out a rough mockup of what this thing might look like...

Looks good!

Les P and I are working on a similar mock-up ourselves - will post tonight when we get done with it...

Well here is the mock-up so far. Dok spent most of last night putting this together.

Click the image to go to a MUCH LARGER version. (It was a bit too large to post here.) Feel free to make constructive comments and/or suggestions. Thanx...

http://www.parisek-hogan.com/Temp/TestIdea2.jpg' target="_blank">TestIdea2Teaser.jpg

I haven't had a chub like that since Jr High.

:p

Seriously, it looks great. I have a feeling there will be TONS of tweaking and refining not just with eachothers own WIPs but the final layout. I for one dig the -1s in the extreme foreground (hehe) and would like to suggest the cliche of it in the classic DYRL "Boldoza drive-by (fly by?) stance" with Strike cannon and GU-11 ready for action.

There is some serious talent on these forums. I can truly appreciate being in the presence of you all. Thanks!!

Oops... Sorry about the lack of description for the image above. Lets here some feedback guys and gals.

OK... Here's my Tomahawk. About half done with the texturing. Let me know if you like this one better than the original (old forums).

Thanx

Les

TomahawkWIP.jpg

A general question for all, could place next to the list that each one of you you did that modelador they used?

Thanks

I'm sorry that everyone seems to have overlooked your request because I think the idea has merit, and not simply because it would be interesting to see which programs everyone is working in.

We know that lighting is going to be a key issue in this project and it occurs to me that a number of us may be using the same 3D programs, I know for instance that Les and I are both working in Cinema4D. What I am thinking is that instead of everyone creating their own lighting rig and hoping they all match up in the final image, it may be possible for those of us working in compatible programs to share a single lighting set-up. I know its too much to hope that there is a single 3D format which all of us can work with but the fewer different set-ups we can use the better the various component images will integrate. If just a few people working in cooperation can put together lighting rigs, get them to match up as best as possible and then circulate copies to others using compatible software it would probably save our photoshop meister a lot of work, I figure he or she will have enough on their hands just assembling the image without having to worry about correcting colour/brightness problems. What does everyone think?

Dok, the mock up looks great, this thing is going to be cooler than a penguin's butt in midwinter.

Les, I agree with Az, I love the distressed paintwork. I took a similar approach with my recent Spartan model and I'm currently reworking my other Destroids to match, a bit of extreme wear does wonders to highten the realism.

MM,

That's a great idea. Towards that end, let's get together a list of all the renderers that will be used- that way we'll know how many lighting rigs will be required. Here goes:

RENDERER LIST

Cinema4d - Mechmaster, LParisek

Maya (Software /w/ faked Global Illumination) - Doktor Gonzo

Edited by Doktor Gonzo

Here is my newly retextured Defender.

The lighting here is along the lines suggested by Doktor Gonzo; a high yellow spot angled down from the left, a dimmer white spot coming in horizontally from the right, a blue spot below and behind aimed at the middle of the mecha and a blue omnidirectional filler light.

post-5-1065806327_thumb.jpg

RENDERER LIST

Cinema4d - Mechmaster, LParisek

Maya (Software /w/ faked Global Illumination) - Doktor Gonzo

TrueSpace 6.6 - Brianw76

3ds Max 5.1 (Advanced Lighting/Renderosity) - Aztek

Hey Mechmaster... Can you pass on your lighting rig so I can test it on my "dark" monster? I would also like to test it out on the lighter, "shiny" surfaces of my tomahawk...

Thanx man...

Les

Hey Mechmaster... Can you pass on your lighting rig so I can test it on my "dark" monster? I would also like to test it out on the lighter, "shiny" surfaces of my tomahawk...

Les and anyone else who is interested and can work with .c4d files you can find my lighting test rig here.

I've modified it slightly as on reflection I felt the shadows looked a little too cold. It assumes the object to be lit is positioned at the world origin.

Nice Job with poster looks great !

I use rhino renders for basic render checks - Flamigo and penguin

and Cinema4D ( I have a copy of Maya 3 , bought the book - but alas , so much to do and so little time) :D

Sounds good Rod - just add your intended render rig to the list above, and we'll get going on the lighting production....

Thanx Mechmaster... Rendering time!

Rather than a new message... Here is Mechmaster's lighting rig with the Monster... Looks good to me Mech.

Thanx

MonsterLight.jpg

Edited by lparisek

Looks good but it may need some more back light to accent some of the Monsters rear edges. Stars and moon reflections put out alot of ambient light.

It may also help with the compositing when the 2d artists are clipping the renders from their backgrounds.

Looks good but it may need some more back light to accent some of the Monsters rear edges. Stars and moon reflections put out alot of ambient light.

It may also help with the compositing when the 2d artists are clipping the renders from their backgrounds.

I agree. Les, Mech, wanna try bringing the back spot up by, say, 50%?

As for clipping out though Az, I'm hoping we can get around that. Is everyone's software capable of rendering out to either TIF or SGI format? These preserve alpha channel infomation - so not only will cutting be unneccessary, but translucent parts like canopies will also be compositable properly....

Well, it is done enough to add to the group list... It would not stand up to close scrutiny but for a distance shot it is done...

Any suggestions is greatly appreciated.

BTW... This shot is with MechMaster's lighting rig. I upped the backlight by 50%.

Les

TomahawkWIP1.jpg

Holy crap 114... Your textures look great. Personally, I love the "used" look...

Do you have other shots posted someplace?

Les

He had battroid and fighter mode shots of a cannon fodder sans packs, back on the early pages of this thread.

114, might you possibly have an interest in participating in out "Maross World CG Poster Project"? And you, ZeBi, as well?

We are producing a large group render of all of our models posed together, with intent to print it. Details may be found on the previous pages of this thread...

Wow ! the talent that this tread attract is great! :o

I will add some progress shots ! .

A questions for the experts?

The lettering on the main gun , what should it be when the gun is attached under the VF , there seem to different ideas ( some drawing have it up side down , hasagawa has it as normal writing)- Can you help?

Thanks

A questions for the experts?

The lettering on the main gun , what should it be when the gun is attached under the VF , there seem to different ideas ( some drawing have it up side down , hasagawa has it as normal writing)- Can you help?

I've seen it both ways, too. I guess it's a matter of personal taste. I have mine "rightside-up" in fighter mode/inverted in battroid, as in the mythology of the show fighter mode was what was shown openly to the public, while battroid mode was originally a "military secret"...