Mass CG project ...

Aztek

Nice render, Dok!

Heres the cel-shaded (but not very cel-shade looking) experiment I had just put up on the other board.

Yes, this thread cannot be allowed to die off.

Looking at the Macross like that in the light and shadow, I'm think "Armored Core." I guess the shadow and lighting is bringing back memories...

K Guys,

I'm back from over seas with tons of new textures. I'm about 80 percent done with texturing, and with the exception of vernier thruster texs' the valk is in pretty damn close to project ready. I still have to work on the texs' for the boosters since I'm going with the Strike. Well here's some screens of the head/shoulders area. Still some tweaking left, some textures are mirrors and hence inverted, i.e., "100" instead of "001". Just a matter of flipping the tex.

Enjoy!

The head got a lil distorted from the perspective in the second post, I may have been a lil too close. I did the head and shoulder texs' on the plane ride home so they need to be aligned better and have the density adjusted. I modeled the spacer panels between the chest and back plates to fold onto themselves and store under the chestplate intake. that was a bitch, but after I texture them a lil I think it will improve the battroid scenes.

K, inputs please, so I can get this thing ready !!

BTW, I'll post some shots later in different modes.

Thanks for the offer DG. It was late when I was trying to upload those pics. I'm better now .... as it shows.

Dat,

Doh. I forgot to send you those scans.

I used Hase fighter model decal intructions mixed with Hase battroid decal instructions mixed with various lineart that already previously existed. I composited them all together in Photoshop into different ortho views. Mainly top, side and bottom. The front and rear views are harder to stay true to because of the adjustments that needed to be made to the width of the arms and legs.

I already had a mesh before I worked on the ortho refs, and after incorporating the refs into the scene I damn near had a new model. I firmly believe in doing as much prep work as possible before spending the hours (or days if you're like me) it takes to churn out a realistic non morphing valk.

90 percent of the texture refs I use are straight from Hasegawa. The most detailed textures are from Design Works and hands on knowledge of aircraft.

Hey Az, don't sweat the scans. Brian was kind enough to send me some of the Batt and the Jet so I'm good to go!... unless you have scans of the the jey from the front... I think that is the only one I'm missing.

Unfortunately, I am not a ssmart as you. Prep work would have been a great thing for me to do on mine and would have likely saved me a lot of time. I didn't have a lot of refs available so I hunted Macross world and used my 1/60 as the primary ref. Pretty much eyeballed it as best I could. Now that I've learned what I know... it almost seems like I wasted too much time on thevalk, it should have come much sooner...

But Damn if that Brian doesn't move fast... he'a already got a VF-0 going...

:Dat

Rod,

Just curious, if the model is in nurbs, then how is your approach to the panel lines? I definitely think that modelling them looks way better than texturing them in. I understand the concept of NURBS, but not sure how you would pull of panel lines and didn't see any panel lines modelled in your nosecone and chestplate shots. Are you planning to do the modelled panel lines there too?

:dat

Well, with nurbs solids, you can use boolean operations and perform subtractions.. see, you draw the panel lines on with a curve, then make a small square at one ene, and run it the length of the curve to make a square rod.. then you subtract that shape from the solid, and you've got a square indentation in the surface :) I've never actually done it that way, but it should work. I never did much with nurbs, since most of my work is game oriented anyway... simpler to make them in the correct format instead of converting them. ;)

Btw, Rodavan... what program are you using? The toolbars look like Rhino.. but I imagine those are kinda standard. If so, you HAVE to tell me how you're doing that. I never could get the nurbs commands to work for me, they always give me nasty distortions. I'm probably doing something wrong, but I don't know what.. so I've been sticking to polygons. But I would like to see what else I can do.

Edited by Chronocidal

Hi

I am at home so the net is extremely slow but let me answer some issues:

Rhino is the software I use, but because of the way that I model , I use Solid Edge for "variable" fillets.

I create the surfaces ( Nurbs) then create a solid , I project the panel lines onto the surface and use the lines to cut the solid into smaller solids then I run fillet commands or bevel commands around the edges , then I stich them together - Simple Short explenation !

I use 3D Body Paint from Maxon to put the textures on!

Hope you can use it!

I can give you the long story if you need it?