Mass CG project ...

Aztek

Rocco_7, we could certainly use your help tho I imagine the image will go thru tons of revisions and more than one person will likely tweak it here and there. We'll see how it goes, when we (eventualy) get there :)

That's fine if it needs lot's of revisions by different parties. I would just like to offer my services to do the original composite...

Like Aztek said... as long as there is a consistent lighting theme for the pieces to be inserted into the composite, it shouldn't take much more than cutting the Valks out of their backgrouds, situating them on the Macross, and adding shadow casting for the Valks and Destroids to get the realism there.

I'm sure a few of you will want to tweak the finished product, and so I would make available the finished Photoshop file with all layers in tact for ease of editing. Not to mention all of the original models could be kept as separate files. I could offer to burn CDs with all the files on them in case some of you would like to create a composite of your own. :)

Landing gear generally retract at "straight" angles--i.e. straight forward/back or straight left/right. Rarely do they swing at an angle.

Anyways, here's how it *should* work, based on real-life planes:

Gear doors open fully, and the gear retracts back WHILE the wheel rotates 90 degrees to lie flat. It's simultaneous, not a two-step process. When the gear is half-way retracted, the wheel should be half-way turned.

Wheels rotate at the oleo strut. (The shiny chrome one, just a bit above the wheel itself). It's not JUST the wheel, nor the whole thing--more like the lower third or so of the gear. If you get REALLY technical, I would guess that the rotation is actually inside the oleo strut, so the visible of the exterior portion of the oleo itself wouldn't appear to move.

VF-1's have very very simple main gear struts. Simply move forward and back 90 degress. Not a whole bunch of retraction stuts, door struts, drag struts, scissor linkages, etc. Just the one main strut and that's about it. (Very similar to a YF-23's gear actually, which is basically a slimmed-down straightened-out F-18 gear).

If you want a real-life example to follow, check out an F-16's nose-gear. It's a single-wheel gear that rotates 90 degrees as it retracts backwards. That's what you need, isn't it?

PS--for detail, I've got lots of F-18 gear well pics, even an A-10's nose gear well. And of course, F-14 pics.

Edited by David Hingtgen

Want weathering?

1. Don't weather inside the intakes themselves. Even old planes have clean shiny intakes. (Because its very important that they do).

2. DIRTY VENTRAL FINS. F-14's usually have horrendously dirty ventral fins, right where they join the fuselage.

3. Do each rivet individually. (This is an F/A-18C, left side, right above the stab).

LOL David,

I'm gonna have to take some pics of some intakes from here at my base bro. I've done pre flight intake inspections on -130's ALOT and after every one I have to damn near change my uniform. It's an ugly tight mess in it's intake. A-10's I agree are cleaner and even more so on F-designated fighters. Directly above the jet intake on the -130 is the props main gear box. I'm assuming alot of fluid leakage lends to the intakes being dirty. I was playing on that thought to mess up the valks intake because of all the actuators and gear boxes/drives that would be directly above the intake scoop to swing the "legs" fwd.

Thanks to DatterBoy's post on my forum, he got me off my ass and made me transform my VF-1J into something other then fighter mode. :D This is the first time its been in gerwalk mode since I started it...... like 2 years ago. All the the textures I made were for fighter mode only, I didn't bother with the rest since everytime I put it into battroid mode it looked terrible. So the leg textures are wrong on the inside of the legs, no arm or backpack textures, and the parts that hold the arms on, the rear landing gear doors, and the lights in front of the rear landing gear haven't been modeled yet, etc... So after a little bit of messing with the hip area here it is....

Sorry, big pic.

gerwalk.jpg

Very nice! I love the hands. The Valk itself looks so clean... man.... gotta work onmy model big time. Just doesn't hold up to all these I see on this thread.

Battroid?

Dat

Edited by DatterBoy

This has SOOO nothing to do with this thread except for the fact that it concerns me and I'm part of the thread.

I just found out I have orders to Japan. Kinda weird.

I watched alot of cartoons as a kid, mainly Robotech, Starblazers etc ...

I grew up and wised up and got a hard-on the first time I saw DYRL and was hooked on Macross.

I joined the Air Force because of my interest in aviation and aircraft in general (hmmm Macross maybe?)

Now the Air Force is sending me to Japan. Down the street from TRU and in country for HLJ shipping rates (do they ship to Japan?) ...

This is too cool.

Wish me luck though, I have to move 4 kids and my wife over a 2 day period and 16 hours of flying to reach it. I should get outta the States around May '04.

So,

Here's my point.

I'm moving to Misawa, on the north tip of the main island, and was wondering if anyone who frequents this post knows the area?

Lemme know!!

Good times at the Aztek residence !!!

Late!!

I know noting of Japan other than I would liketo visit there at some point. Looks like you're gonna have a field day out there. How long they have you there for?

:Dat

Yeah, what's even better is I'll be pulling almost a grand more a month just because of the cost of living over there. Shoot I can live on Top Ramen if it means spending a few C-notes a month on the Yamato movement !!

ahem ....

How about this project, wow there's alot of nice valks around here !! B)

rescuing the thread from the madness, here's a new wip from my vf2ss:

this week I had some free time and I improved a bit the model... since there's no good schematics, I modeled most of it guessing the proportions of every piece.

It is not transformable yet, and note it is a low polygon model, so it does not have too much detail. I preffer to build a global shape with low detail, and when I end with a low poly model I like, I begin detailing every piece without the need of taking care of the proportions.

Any criticism will be welcomed

post-5-1062755946_thumb.jpg

Edited by vicviper

Hi, I'm REALLY new here, but you guys have some amazing stuff... I really love those VF-1's...

Mainly, I have a question about the YF-19 from Macross Plus... Does anyone know where I can get some decent blueprints of it? I've got a very nice scan of the top, with measurements, etc. on it, but I really need schematics of the front, and bottom views, and the rear if possible. I'm working on a polygon model of it that I plan on putting in various flight sims, mainly MS Flight Sim 2002, and I've got most of the top half of the model done, but the bottom is pretty much non-existent. I've been going mainly off of pictures of the Hasegawa model, but I don't have any decent shots of the bottom or rear of the plane. If anyone knows where I can get some shots of it, I'd be oh so grateful.. I've ordered the kit online, but I'm extremely bored, and don't want to wait for it to get here. :p

Btw, for those of you with flight sim interests, there seems to be a severe shortage of Macross aircraft for any flight sim... the most I've found is a simply made VF-1 for Microsoft Flight sim. There are tons of possibilities in the MSFS 2002 engine though... I wouldn't rule out transforming either, since you can link commands in the program to animations like the canopy opening, arrestor hook dropping, etc Walking in battroid mode might not work too well, but there may be a way to do it. If any of you have the time or inclination, I'd love to see more Macross mods for games.

But anyway, enough begging, here's what I've gotten so far on this model....

post-5-1062908888_thumb.jpg

I know it looks just like the 1J version but I am happy with the 1A head and just wanted to get you thoughts on the proportions since I've had trouble with it in the past:

batt%2010.jpg

Thanks

post-5-1083180051_thumb.jpg

Edited by DatterBoy

Well, well, well... I go away for a few days and everything changes. I guess I like the new boards but time will tell. It was a shock to have to redo everything...

Aztek, thanx for starting this thread back up and keeping this idea alive. I spent a few months in Japan and you are going to be in heaven my friend. I trust you will let all of us know when you find some nice toys so we can send you some cash... Hit Yakuska and take the kids to Disney Land. You will get a kick out of the Japanese version. Gives a whole new meaning to that World of Wonders/Epcot thing. Just don't get lost in the train stations in and around Tokyo. And if you do, always remember to keep heading up.

I see a lot of new (great) work out here. I sure wish I had more time to play right now, I am getting a bit jealous.

Wolf13, I was the one that offered the FTP space. I will PM/Email you with the user/password details.

Les

Thre is a ton of wonderful work here, when can we start to get a preliminary of this thing going? I know I never "officially" joined the project, but if you will all have me, I'd be happy to contribute, and it seems to me if we wait for a bunch of guys making their own valks, we may never see this thing come to light.

Got any real things we can move forward with? It's all so exciting! hahahaha

Thre is a ton of wonderful work here, when can we start to get a preliminary of this thing going? I know I never "officially" joined the project, but if you will all have me, I'd be happy to contribute, and it seems to me if we wait for a bunch of guys making their own valks, we may never see this thing come to light.

Got any real things we can move forward with? It's all so exciting! hahahaha

Hmmm, I guess the first order of business would be to start working on the background. If wolf13 can generate a few preliminary poses, then we can pick one and then.....THEN..... well, then we try our damnedest to crash wolf's machine with some ungodly huge render of it! ....er, whatsay, Wolf?

Wolf has expressed interest in letting a few of us play with his Macross. If he has problems with the huge render, I am sure he can setup the render and then have someone else do the pixel crunching for the final, huge, render.

Les

It was modelled after the 1/60 head, but the likeness is not very good at all. I was doing polygonal modelling so it was really tough for me since it's not quite a primitive. I need to do serious revisions on the head to be true to even the toy, let alone the anime. Scaling has been a big factor for me too. Never sure if the model's head was ever teh right size, and have scaled it several times over now.

And while I'm here, I've got some of the new site up so you can check out some of the other pics of the Hikaru and Fokker 1S that I have made:

Hikaru 1S

Focker 1S

They're pretty big cuz they have a lot pof pics on em, so if you don't have broadband, I just wanted to give you a heads up.

Let me know if you have any more comments about sizes and proportions. It's my biggest struggle at the moment since most of the model was eyeballed...

Dat

:o:)

Thanks for the response, caught it late. It looked like a 1/60 head... The pics on the site are really awesome! You have some talent.

Hey guys,

WOLF:

Man, if you can get us that critical first step I think it will be a big incentive for those of us who are sloucnhing on our valks to get em up and running for the party. Your model is incredible and I look forward to being a part of it.

AGENT ONE:

It was modelled after the 60, but I am not usre what the big differnece if any ther eis between al the otehrs.. dimensions? One things for sure, the head I made sucks. I Prefcer DOKS or AZTEKS over this one. Gonna have to redo it all over again.

DOK:

Crash it will for sure. WIth all the calks and all the textures, it would be nice to see a liner at the bottom that stated the render time and total pixel count. Insanity galore!

Well, here's one of the reasons I haven't been working on Macross stuff... I've been working on correctly converting some of my old models to trueSpace.

This old beauty is converted and ready for re-texturing... once she's done, I'm back for more Macross.

post-5-1063081583_thumb.jpg

Not to add to the off topic discussion... As an avid Star Wars fan, that X-wing looks awesome. I would love to see more of that model when you finish texturing it. E-mail them if you have to...

Les

Hey Wolf, are you converting the macross to truespace also? If so, maybe I can help with the big ass render of it.

I got bored today and decided to render all my finished macross / robotech aircraft. The only aircraft missing that i've already started is the X-9 Ghost. I'm still waiting for good reference pictures so i can finish it. Anyone got a top view of it?

all.jpg

Holy Crap!!!

Damn, I'm a moderate Star Wars fan but that thing is wicked...

Nice work WOLF!

And BRIAN: Incredible, though I feel you nede to add a VF-0 to that line to make it truly complete...

Edited by DatterBoy

Well, here's one of the reasons I haven't been working on Macross stuff... I've been working on correctly converting some of my old models to trueSpace.

This old beauty is converted and ready for re-texturing... once she's done, I'm back for more Macross.

Oh my good Lord; most impressive...

...the (geek) force is strong in this one... If I ONLY had your skills.. -sigh- :p

Graphics programs don't (obviously) agree with my poor Compaq laptop. Methinks I need to get a desktop soon. I miss modeling.

Argh! Sorry Brian, scratch that, reverse it. I'm converting FROM truespace. The Xwing is a tS model as are most of my models. I used tS for many years until I only recently switched to LightWave (cause thats the program we used at school and I got to like it quite a bit). The Macross is compleately done in Lightwave.

However, I'll be putting up the big Mac for download and you're certainly welcome to convert it; I suggest Accutrans 3D as a great shareware conversion program. You'll have to retexture after you convert, but the geometry is translated very well.

As for my doing the renders, I'm going to render only the Macross, right? Like Dok said, it'll likely be a HUGE render, but I'm not going to be rendering the Valks; they'd all have to be converted to Lightwave for that and I'm not sure thats a great idea.

lparisek, once its finished I'll put up some pics of the X-Wing on my site, and I might put the model up for download as well. It was originaly intended for the now defunct but sorely missed SWMA (Star Wars Modeling Alliance). THAT was an awesome place to share and work on 3D stuff. Too bad it seems to be gone for good :(